• Please log in to reply
14667 replies to this topic

#14651 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,317 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

Was there on Saturday... A running Panther is just awesome...

#14652 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

Tanks! Trucks! T-shirts! Waffles! Sounds like a perfect weekend!

#14653 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

After watching in horror my poor San Jose Sharks hockey team get shot out of the sky and crash in flames on Sunday. I consoled myself with a trip down the Alameda to my favorite hangout.
Recycle Books 1.jpg
Recycle Bookstore is the best and one of the last of what was once many old bookstores in the area.  I often drop in for an hour or two to browse and inhale lungfuls of that wonderful old-book air.   Most of this room is the History section, with most of this aisle devoted to military history. WWII is the center section on the left.
Recycle Books 3.jpg
Here are some recent pickups.  Rene, I saw mention of Venlo in that book on the right and just had to pick it up. Have you read this one?  Not military, but the Hitchhikers Guide book is signed by Douglas Adams! Not a bad grab for 5 bucks!
Books.jpg

Edited by mikie, 20 May 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#14654 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,612
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

Was there on Saturday... A running Panther is just awesome...

It sure is, Johan  :)

DSC_6048a.jpg

Rene

#14655 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

It sure is, Johan  :)

attachicon.gifDSC_6048a.jpg

Rene

Must have been awesome indeed!  But I have to wonder how effective that camo paint scheme was.  It seems to stick out like a sore thumb against the trees in the background.  

Mikie

Edited by mikie, 20 May 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#14656 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

After watching in horror my poor San Jose Sharks hockey team get shot out of the sky and crash in flames on Sunday. I consoled myself with a trip down the Alameda to my favorite hangout.
attachicon.gifRecycle Books 1.jpg
Recycle Bookstore is the best and one of the last of what was once many old bookstores in the area.  I often drop in for an hour or two to browse and inhale lungfuls of that wonderful old-book air.   Most of this room is the History section, with most of this aisle devoted to military history. WWII is the center section on the left.
attachicon.gifRecycle Books 3.jpg
Here are some recent pickups.  Rene, I saw mention of Venlo in that book on the right and just had to pick it up. Have you read this one?  Not military, but the Hitchhikers Guide book is signed by Douglas Adams! Not a bad grab for 5 bucks!
attachicon.gifBooks.jpg

Hi Mikie, great bookstore. Wouldn't mind having that one around the corner.

That book immediately piqued my interest when I saw the river Maas salient mentioned on the cover. At first glance it doesn't ring a bell but perhaps it is a translation of a Dutch book that I know.

Rene 

#14657 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi Mikie, great bookstore. Wouldn't mind having that one around the corner.

That book immediately piqued my interest when I saw the river Maas salient mentioned on the cover. At first glance it doesn't ring a bell but perhaps it is a translation of a Dutch book that I know.

Rene 

The author is indeed Dutch.  He is listed as A. Korthals Altes. I didn't notice that yesterday looking at the book through my tears of sorrow.  

Mikie

#14658 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Rene, many thanks for posting the pix and video of the Militracks event! Wow, what a fantastic parade of vehicles. I can't imagine how much fun that would be to see in person. From the Panther to the RSO, everything looked, and sounded, incredible.

Terry

#14659 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,317 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

But I have to wonder how effective that camo paint scheme was.  It seems to stick out like a sore thumb against the trees in the background.

That was my first thought too, but then I saw it in the shadow of the trees and it was quite suitable...

#14660 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,194 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Thanks Mikie for the California reports and thanks also to Rene for the Militracks report and everyone else for joining in with comment.

I spent Saturday and Sunday at the auction in Caen, and it was a roller-coaster ride of bids with up's and down's, but overall it should come out well.

Here's my quick report, two weeks ago a transporter carrying WWII military vehicles to the Liberation of Pilsen became involved in a traffic accident and fire between the vehicles involved, sadly one person died and approximately a dozen people injured, attached photo shows the damage incurred.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 21  2019.

.59539157_854953798191263_4164027676018868224_n.jpg

#14661 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,189
  • 13,321 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

Holy crap!!

That's horrible.

Looks like the trailor with the tanks was T boned by a semi.

#14662 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 AM

The author is indeed Dutch.  He is listed as A. Korthals Altes. I didn't notice that yesterday looking at the book through my tears of sorrow.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes he's a well known writer of local military history books. The book you've got also deals with the battle of Overloon and that's exactly the place where the Militracks event took place last weekend. Talking about coincidence, hahaha.

Rene

#14663 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Rene, many thanks for posting the pix and video of the Militracks event! Wow, what a fantastic parade of vehicles. I can't imagine how much fun that would be to see in person. From the Panther to the RSO, everything looked, and sounded, incredible.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I will soon post more pictures on the World  Militaria Forum since they all involve German vehicles. 

Rene

#14664 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Thanks Mikie for the California reports and thanks also to Rene for the Militracks report and everyone else for joining in with comment.

I spent Saturday and Sunday at the auction in Caen, and it was a roller-coaster ride of bids with up's and down's, but overall it should come out well.

Here's my quick report, two weeks ago a transporter carrying WWII military vehicles to the Liberation of Pilsen became involved in a traffic accident and fire between the vehicles involved, sadly one person died and approximately a dozen people injured, attached photo shows the damage incurred.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 21  2019.

.attachicon.gif59539157_854953798191263_4164027676018868224_n.jpg

Hi Ken, that's a very sad picture especially since someone lost his life and many more were injured. These days should be all about celebrations but life always finds a way to throw a curve ball.

Rene

#14665 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 13,321 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

Great stuff from Overloon Rene.

How do the locals react to Nazi tanks?

My Dutch family was so ravaged by the war that they didn't even want to hear mention of it.

They were always shutting me up about it.

During the 50th anniversary of Market Garden I did a Dick Winters impression and they were horrified.

But their house was full of British paratroopers vets who used it as their main base during the festivities.

When my uncle was alive he was part of the staff of the Hartenstein museum.

But no one wanted to talk about the past.

#14666 mikie

mikie
  • Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Sad that the accident happened.  Prayers to the dead, injured and survivors.  

#14667 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 13,321 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:10 PM

What happened was that a transport carrying tanks from the CZ armor museum rear ended a prison transport bus killing a prison guard.

Here is another picture.

Attached Images

• nBOXuRO.jpg

#14668 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:59 PM

Hi Mikie, yes he's a well known writer of local military history books. The book you've got also deals with the battle of Overloon and that's exactly the place where the Militracks event took place last weekend. Talking about coincidence, hahaha.

Rene

Hi Mikie, had a rummage trough my bookcase and I believe this is the Dutch edition. The title literally translates as Battle in the shadow.

SAM_6755a.jpg

Rene

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

S A Coryell