Norman D. Landing

bilko1

And now for something completely different!

This unfortunately named building here in San Jose is the field of many great battles.

attachicon.gifShark tank.jpg

It's also know as The Shark tank, home of my beloved San Jose Sharks NHL hockey team.

attachicon.gifAnthem.jpg

Somehow my wonderful wife Ana managed to come up with a couple of tickets to last night's Game 5 Stanley Cup Round One playoff game between the Sharks and the Las Vegas Golden Knights (Boooo!). I was thrilled when she texted me yesterday afternoon that we were going to the game!

attachicon.gifAction.jpg

Sharks were behind in the series 3 to 1 and would have been eliminated if they lost last night. No way that would happen with us in the stands!

attachicon.gifYay! Goal!.jpg

attachicon.gifVictory!!!.jpg

Great fun to see the Sharks fight back and win one on home ice. Did I mention that I have a wonderful wife?

Mikie

Hi Mikie, good to see you both had a jawsome evening.

Rene

Hi Ken, just showing my ingnorance here: what is that bumper bar woodwork used for? Those gearbox pieces look to be in good nick.

Rene

I recall the original front bumper of the jeep had a wooden(oak) bar/board behinde it as the bumper wasnt solid.

General Apathy

And now for something completely different!

This unfortunately named building here in San Jose is the field of many great battles.

attachicon.gifShark tank.jpg

It's also know as The Shark tank, home of my beloved San Jose Sharks NHL hockey team.

attachicon.gifAnthem.jpg

Somehow my wonderful wife Ana managed to come up with a couple of tickets to last night's Game 5 Stanley Cup Round One playoff game between the Sharks and the Las Vegas Golden Knights (Boooo!). I was thrilled when she texted me yesterday afternoon that we were going to the game!

attachicon.gifAction.jpg

Sharks were behind in the series 3 to 1 and would have been eliminated if they lost last night. No way that would happen with us in the stands!

attachicon.gifYay! Goal!.jpg

attachicon.gifVictory!!!.jpg

Great fun to see the Sharks fight back and win one on home ice. Did I mention that I have a wonderful wife?

Mikie

Hi Mikie, appears that you both got bitten by your interest in watching the Sharks . . . . . . . . . . . enjoy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, just showing my ingnorance here: what is that bumper bar woodwork used for? Those gearbox pieces look to be in good nick.

Rene

Hi Rene, the oak plank fits in the centre part of the front bumper between the two chassis rails, it saves on metal by giving some extra strength to the to the front bumper, it also helps support the cranking handle if you should need to hand start the engine.

General Apathy
General Apathy

Doing some spring cleaning and while getting the Jeep trailer out of the shed, took a photo of it...

Bantam made T3 Jeep 1/4 Ton trailer, made early January 1945...

Time to get your trailer out, Ken! ;-)

Hi Johan, appears like your trailer has been standing too long, there's a tree growing out of it . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:

Hi Johan & Robert, I have to agree with what you both had to say. I can't recount all the times I drove through the night, or travelled to other countries and continents to acquire and gather all the pieces I collected, I have never bought a single piece of uniform or equipment from eBay or such.

I know that my weekend trips to European capitals driving alone mostly and along dark night-time routes and searching for stuff whilst most people were safely at home tucked in bed.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 13 2019.

Most memorable buying trip a friend and I went on. Back in the 1980s, we heard about a theater costume shop with piles of uniforms. A friend of ours found two Civil War era four button sack coats there. So with visions of ranger uniforms and paratrooper jump jackets in our minds, we got up early and drove off. Four long hours later, we arrived to find a "Sorry, We're Closed" sign. This was a shop that was open seven days a week but we managed to choose the one day they decided to close. it wouldn't reopen until the next day. So to console ourselves, we went to White Castle and had cheeseburgers. Heck of a long way to drive just to eat at a greasy spoon.

Oh, why didn't we call first? This is in the time before unlimited minutes on your cell phone or even cell phones themselves. We didn't want to run up a long distance charge on our parents' phone bill. Ahhh, the good old days! :rolleyes:

Time out from militaria to wish you all a Happy Easter, if you are inclined to observe this kind of thing. If you are not, have a Happy Easter anyway. My wonderful daughter says at 20, she is too old to want to color Easter eggs. But not too old to get a basket from the Easter bunny. As long as there is some money in it. Ok, that's all. I'm eggsxhausted from all this typing!

Mikie

General Apathy

Most memorable buying trip a friend and I went on. Back in the 1980s, we heard about a theater costume shop with piles of uniforms. A friend of ours found two Civil War era four button sack coats there. So with visions of ranger uniforms and paratrooper jump jackets in our minds, we got up early and drove off. Four long hours later, we arrived to find a "Sorry, We're Closed" sign. This was a shop that was open seven days a week but we managed to choose the one day they decided to close. it wouldn't reopen until the next day. So to console ourselves, we went to White Castle and had cheeseburgers. Heck of a long way to drive just to eat at a greasy spoon.

Oh, why didn't we call first? This is in the time before unlimited minutes on your cell phone or even cell phones themselves. We didn't want to run up a long distance charge on our parents' phone bill. Ahhh, the good old days! :rolleyes:

Hi Erick, reminds me of that old Tamla Motown classic ' Reflections '; reflections of the way life used to be . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Erick, reminds me of that old Tamla Motown classic ' Reflections '; reflections of the way life used to be . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Time out from militaria to wish you all a Happy Easter, if you are inclined to observe this kind of thing. If you are not, have a Happy Easter anyway. My wonderful daughter says at 20, she is too old to want to color Easter eggs. But not too old to get a basket from the Easter bunny. As long as there is some money in it. Ok, that's all. I'm eggsxhausted from all this typing!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well Happy Easter to you too and your family. Just been into Ste Mere Eglise for coffee and the whole town is heaving, its like the universe and his dog arrived this morning. The temperature is around 20 degrees and bright sunshine, there are no parking slots left, people are just driving around and around waiting for someone to leave.

Just looked into the new shop of Andy Butler, these days he has the military trade to himself as the sole dealer left in Ste Mere with original, vintage, and retro collectibles. I just phoned up my current squeeze Jane and asked her to meet me in Ste Mere and I would buy her a retro dress for this summers anniversary gatherings. B)

Apologies guys if any of your wives and sweethearts read this and suggest you do something similar. . . . . . . . . . . :o

Hi Ron, nice link you added showing the wooden bumper bar in use.

Thanks Ron and Ken for info on the bumper question. Much appreciated.

Rene

I was thinking more along the lines of 'All out of luck' (Whitesnake).........

Rene

Mikie

+1

Hoppy Easter, everyone.

Rene

General Apathy

Normandy Finds . . . . . . . . . .

made another trip yesterday to the farmers yard who had bought numerous ex US vehicles and equipment post war. These are a few of yesterdays finds. A bunch of large Carlisle bandages from two manufacturers one of the manufacturers dating their bandages 1940, top left a package of German swabs, an unissued clutch release plate, two 1939 German 37cm flak cases, a bunch of old hand cut flat head nails for oak door decoration, a Jeep distributor and four small Carlisle packages.

more photos to be added tomorrow from yesterdays trip.

.post-344-0-87912500-1555885786.jpeg

General Apathy

One of the large Carlisle bandages from one of the two manufacturers, one of the manufacturers dating their bandages 1940,

.post-344-0-45403500-1555886060_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

A large Carlisle bandage from one of the two manufacturers, the previous post manufacturer dating their bandages 1940,

.post-344-0-51785800-1555886163_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Finds . . . . . . . .

I was really pleased to find a small sack of these old hand cut decorative nails for oak plank doors, I need to make a couple of rustic oak plank doors to replace a couple of modern doors on the bathroom and the shower room.

.post-344-0-85167900-1555886874_thumb.jpeg

Hi Mikie, well Happy Easter to you too and your family. Just been into Ste Mere Eglise for coffee and the whole town is heaving, its like the universe and his dog arrived this morning. The temperature is around 20 degrees and bright sunshine, there are no parking slots left, people are just driving around and around waiting for someone to leave.

Just looked into the new shop of Andy Butler, these days he has the military trade to himself as the sole dealer left in Ste Mere with original, vintage, and retro collectibles. I just phoned up my current squeeze Jane and asked her to meet me in Ste Mere and I would buy her a retro dress for this summers anniversary gatherings. B)

Apologies guys if any of your wives and sweethearts read this and suggest you do something similar. . . . . . . . . . . :o

Maybe a little late but dare I make a suggestion…….. ;)

post-169612-0-75301400-1555920785.jpg

Rene

Normandy Finds . . . . . . . .

I was really pleased to find a small sack of these old hand cut decorative nails for oak plank doors, I need to make a couple of rustic oak plank doors to replace a couple of modern doors on the bathroom and the shower room.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1735.jpeg

Would love to see the finail result……….

From now on I'm gonna refrain from adding puns because even I can see when it's getting too much……..hahaha

Rene

Johan Willaert

Another Jeep ready for Normandy in June...

Yesterday I added the correct factory style hood numbers to a friend's immaculately restored Ford GPW Jeep...

This one took 5 years to restore and is just about perfect with an absolute maximum of original parts and hardware used...

Enjoy!

This weekend it was taken to a MV meet, its first outing after restoration... No troubles at all, it's ready for Normandy now...

Ford GPW270404- DoD 31st May 1945

post-92-0-95094000-1555928803_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

This weekend it was taken to a MV meet, its first outing after restoration...

Lightest and Heaviest at the same show....

My Huffman Men's bicycle and a friend's M26 Pacific Armored Tank Transporter...

post-92-0-95267600-1555929091_thumb.jpg