Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken, Unless the shoebox is even more extensive than I can imagine, where did you get 300 jump jackets?

Hi Erick, sorry I forgot to mention that the Shoebox and the film / store stocks were two different entities, I actually stopped collecting for the shoebox in the late 80s, simply ran out of space to store and show it. The film / store collection didn't start until June 1996.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 26 2019.

General Apathy

They were in his kitchen cupboard.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well you were almost clairvoyant with that comment, back in the 80's I had one of those large American double door fridge / freezers which broke down, when it did it was moved out into the garage waiting for disposal, during that wait for disposal it became storage for various small spares for the Jeep. . . . . . . . so cupboard guess was quite close.

Hi Erick, do you want to hear the funny thing, well funny for me, or more correctly should I say beneficial for me . . . . . . .

At the beginning of production I supplied as I said three hundred M-43 style jackets and pants for the Foy woods and Bastogne episodes, when the guys came to start preparing the suits for those episodes the ' cupboards were bare ' as the nursery rhyme goes. The three hundred suits had disappeared out the wardrobe department, I had to re-order a further three hundred sets in double quick time, which I managed to do.

Another funny experience was the requirement for several hundred pieces of equipment that I used to buy from a warehouse in the depths of France. As I already had other stocks sat in my motor I had a choice either plan # A drive two hundred miles to my depot and unload, then another hundred miles back to Dover ferry port with an empty vehicle. Or plan # B drive to Dover saving time and money, and call into the UK customs and declare all the cartons of equipment already in my motor before leaving the UK, so I went with plan # B and the customs said that was fine they were happy enough about that.

Now here's the shortened version of the return, approaching Calais the Douane ( customs ) were doing a roadside check of vehicles, I got a tug and asked for the paperwork for all the items I had on board. I explained which boxes I had invoice paperwork for, and that the other boxes were already in the motor and I had cleared them with English customs in Dover before sailing for France. At which the customs officer waggled his index finger across the front of my face and stated in French ' yes Monsieur, but you are NO LONGER in England ' and started to search the motor. Upon which he let out a loud yell when he spotted several .45 Cal 1911 pistols and magazines behind the front seats, his colleagues all raced over and surrounded the motor, at which I am shouting that they are all fake pistols and made of rubber for film work, when he found that he could bend them he was happier. I pulled out my folder of photographs I had taken at the studios, when they saw one of the extras who was laughing at the camera with all his stomach hanging out and blood soaked clothing, all the weapons were forgotten and so was the paperwork and invoices, as they turned the last page they wished me Bon Voyage . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now to get back through the UK customs . . . . . . . thankfully all went smoothly.

Hi Ken, great story.....one that couldn't happen today anymore, I'm afraid.

Rene

Rupert exposed . . . . . . .

this is a photograph of one of my other ' Rupert's ' opened and displaying the details and the chute attached to him.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 25 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1487.jpeg

Hi Ken, do you happen to know if this is one of the Ruperts that was actually dropped during the night of june 5th/6th?

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, great story.....one that couldn't happen today anymore, I'm afraid.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks, pleased you enjoyed the story . . . . . . . .

I went to the photographers today to explain how a few of the items need to be laid out and the pertinent points to be shown.

As he hasn't completed all the images yet I won't get a copy of everything until he finishes. so apologies for the quality of this image it was captured from his computer screen on my phone camera and enlarged afterwards.

these are all original pieces, the following image will be Band of Brothers pieces

.post-344-0-96337700-1553618658_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Apologies for the quality of this image it was captured from the photographers computer screen on my phone camera and enlarged afterwards.

these are all Band of Brothers pieces

.post-344-0-50832400-1553618874.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Ken, do you happen to know if this is one of the Ruperts that was actually dropped during the night of june 5th/6th?

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the question, no this was another one of the unopened ones I had, I needed to open it and display for an event I displayed at.

I went to the photographers today to explain how a few of the items need to be laid out and the pertinent points to be shown.

As he hasn't completed all the images yet I won't get a copy of everything until he finishes. so apologies for the quality of this image it was captured from his computer screen on my phone camera and enlarged afterwards.

these are all original pieces, the following image will be Band of Brothers pieces

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_14dc.jpeg

Great pieces, Ken. Is that a camo'd M42 to the left?

Rene

Hi Erick, do you want to hear the funny thing, well funny for me, or more correctly should I say beneficial for me . . . . . . .

At the beginning of production I supplied as I said three hundred M-43 style jackets and pants for the Foy woods and Bastogne episodes, when the guys came to start preparing the suits for those episodes the ' cupboards were bare ' as the nursery rhyme goes. The three hundred suits had disappeared out the wardrobe department, I had to re-order a further three hundred sets in double quick time, which I managed to do.

Another funny experience was the requirement for several hundred pieces of equipment that I used to buy from a warehouse in the depths of France. As I already had other stocks sat in my motor I had a choice either plan # A drive two hundred miles to my depot and unload, then another hundred miles back to Dover ferry port with an empty vehicle. Or plan # B drive to Dover saving time and money, and call into the UK customs and declare all the cartons of equipment already in my motor before leaving the UK, so I went with plan # B and the customs said that was fine they were happy enough about that.

Now here's the shortened version of the return, approaching Calais the Douane ( customs ) were doing a roadside check of vehicles, I got a tug and asked for the paperwork for all the items I had on board. I explained which boxes I had invoice paperwork for, and that the other boxes were already in the motor and I had cleared them with English customs in Dover before sailing for France. At which the customs officer waggled his index finger across the front of my face and stated in French ' yes Monsieur, but you are NO LONGER in England ' and started to search the motor. Upon which he let out a loud yell when he spotted several .45 Cal 1911 pistols and magazines behind the front seats, his colleagues all raced over and surrounded the motor, at which I am shouting that they are all fake pistols and made of rubber for film work, when he found that he could bend them he was happier. I pulled out my folder of photographs I had taken at the studios, when they saw one of the extras who was laughing at the camera with all his stomach hanging out and blood soaked clothing, all the weapons were forgotten and so was the paperwork and invoices, as they turned the last page they wished me Bon Voyage . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now to get back through the UK customs . . . . . . . thankfully all went smoothly.

Love to have seen the look on the Customs official when he discovered the cache of arms! If they ever do a behind the scenes look at BoB, you have to include that story.

General Apathy

Great pieces, Ken. Is that a camo'd M42 to the left?

Rene

Hi Rene, yes its a named camo suit, the guy was actually wearing it at the time it was sprayed . Not his but the helmet below is an airborne medics without any white surrounds.

The one on the right is also a named suit, I showed a photograph a few pages back of the 508 gentleman I bought it off.

The one front left only has a possible laundry number in it no name.

It is very strange that whenever I notice Band of Brothers on my TV guide, or find it while channel surfing, it always seems to be the same episodes I've seen before. So I have seen a couple of episodes 3 or 4 times, and the rest never. Guess I need to buy the DVDs someday. Problem is that I already have a pile of DVDs that I never seem to get around to ever watching.

Mikie

I just HAD to know more about Rupert so I wouldn't be such a big dummy about him. Fascinating little dudes.

Found this site that has some good info. A couple of the links don't seem to work for me but hopefully they will for you.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100326052243/http://home.att.net/~1.elliott/paratrooperdummyhistorysite.html

Mikie

Hi Peter.

heres another shot of the jacket labelled upon ready for the auction, an original call sheet to be auctioned along with the jacket and trousers, and a set of Lt bars which hadn't been sewn to the jacket before it was damaged on the sleeve below the 101 patch, theres also a missing small corner of the lower left pocket torn off.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 25 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1491.jpeg

can't believe you will sell that!

Oh boy!

Another story for your memoir! Hope you plan to work on that once all this auction stuff is over.

Mikie

General Apathy

can't believe you will sell that!

Hi Robert, thanks and sadly there are many things that maybe I should keep, and making that choice would mean keeping most of the stuff thereby defeating the object. The camouflaged jump suit, plus the other two suits which have more possibility of having been used in Normandy than the reproduction suit made for the television series, so it will go to someone with more interest in it than me.

Another photograph I captured off the photographers screen with my phone camera, quality not good but it emphasises the choice of stuff that I would have too choose from to keep.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 28 2019

.post-344-0-08764900-1553771896_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Amazing auction you're going to have Ken!

Hi Peter, thanks, a few of the helmets in the forthcoming auction.

.post-344-0-89481700-1553772116_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Oh boy!

Another story for your memoir! Hope you plan to work on that once all this auction stuff is over.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, a new chapter being enacted each day and as yet just happily consigned to memory rather than paper.

Who do you think you are kiddin' mister Hitler................................

I'm not a stamp collector but the moment I found out (a little late, actually) that British Royal Mail had issued some stamps to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the comedy Dad's Army I had to have a set. I don't know if it ever aired in the U.S. but since British comedy is a recurring topic in this thread I think I might be excused for posting them here :blush:

For those who are not familiar with the series, Dad's Army is about the British Home Guard at the time when a German invasion of England was a real threat. The Home Guard consisted out of volunteers who weren't qualified (usually because of age) to serve in the regular army.

The Home Guard guarded coastal places (in this case the fictional seaside resort Walmington on Sea) and other important places like airfields.

This series was one of my first experiences of British comedy when I was a younger lad (way back, I know….) and I've always liked it ever since even though it's not as 'sharp' as for instance Fawlty Towers or Blackadder.

The stamps show the main characters with the catchphrases they became famous for.

post-169612-0-14662500-1553790669_thumb.jpg

I've also added an episode from YouTube so you can see for yourself :) (it's got Dutch subtitles but this was the best in sound and vision I could find).

Rene

Hi Robert, thanks and sadly there are many things that maybe I should keep, and making that choice would mean keeping most of the stuff thereby defeating the object. The camouflaged jump suit, plus the other two suits which have more possibility of having been used in Normandy than the reproduction suit made for the television series, so it will go to someone with more interest in it than me.

Another photograph I captured off the photographers screen with my phone camera, quality not good but it emphasises the choice of stuff that I would have too choose from to keep.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_14c3.jpeg

Looking sharp…………..

Rene

General Apathy

Looking sharp…………..

Rene

Hi Rene, another pointed remark from you, hahhaaaaa, I suppose Mikie will have to cut in on this.

Hi Rene, another pointed remark from you, hahhaaaaa, I suppose Mikie will have to cut in on this.

I thought about making a comment but decided not to take a stab at it.

Mikie

General Apathy

I thought about making a comment but decided not to take a stab at it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, did you just come here to take a stab at it or to make cutting remarks ?

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 29 2019.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . to the auction house

this is a really nice officers field raincoat, unused as far as I can see, and has cutters tags inside stating ' sample ' its a QM label inside the coat without date or details.

apologies I didn't have enough space to show the full length of the raincoat.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 29 2019

.post-344-0-42945700-1553875791.jpeg