Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

That General Anthony McAuliffe Farage display was actually located in the Bastogne Historical Center, not Diekirch...

Furthermore oddly the scene was based on a photo of McAuliffe in his Jeep taken in the Netherlands during Market Garden and not in the Ardennes fighting...

The display was set up in the original (first version) of the Bastogne Historical Center which opened roughly 1975-76 and which hosted the MVCG rally in the Summer of 1978, which could have been the first time we ever met...

Hi Johan, well thanks to a friend Len in the UK reading your post he emailed me a shot taken from his vehicle showing the MVCG convoy approaching the Bastogne museum in 1978, as you say possibly the first time we met.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 22 2019.

.post-344-0-63097600-1553251242_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Yes, that's how I remember it... I would have been standing at the entrance of the parking lot just to the right of the Sherman tank in the photo....

GREAT memories...

General Apathy

Yes, that's how I remember it... I would have been standing at the entrance of the parking lot just to the right of the Sherman tank in the photo....

GREAT memories...

Hi Johan, that would have been great if he had managed to capture you stood there watching.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 22 2019.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . prepared and sent for auction

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 19 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_140a.jpeg

In post # 14213 I showed an unopened carton, apologies I failed to come back to reveal what was in the carton, well here it is looking pretty much the same as the day it was made . . . . . . . . nice waterproof rubberised material.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 23 2019.

.post-344-0-07700300-1553348899.jpeg

General Apathy

In post # 14213 I showed an unopened carton, apologies I failed to come back to reveal what was in the carton, well here it is looking pretty much the same as the day it was made . . . . . . . . nice waterproof rubberised material.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_13ff.jpeg

And here it is the opposite side . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-93483900-1553349013.jpeg

Hi Johan, thanks for adding a link to the topic regarding the PPN-1 beacon and this its bag.

Hi Mikie, hope you enjoyed Johan's link.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 25 2019.

Thank you Johan for the link. And yes, I did enjoy it. I love to learn new things. I'm always learning something new here.

Mikie

General Apathy

Thank you Johan for the link. And yes, I did enjoy it. I love to learn new things. I'm always learning something new here.

Mikie

From the Shoebox . . . . . . prepared for auction

Hi Mikie, this is ' Rupert ' he's still tied up in the way he was at the factory where he was made. This one is unissued but many of his fellow ' Ruperts ' were dropped over Normandy on the evening of D-Day.

Hopefully I might have a photo of another one I had in the opened position, I will try looking for it in my photo files.

.post-344-0-52150000-1553530017_thumb.jpeg

That Rupert is awesome Ken! Who would dare to open it?!

I remember one sold for a lot of £££ a couple of years ago in the UK, but it wasn't still wrapped up. Good luck!!

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, this is ' Rupert ' he's still tied up in the way he was at the factory where he was made. This one is unissued but many of his fellow ' Ruperts ' were dropped over Normandy on the evening of D-Day.

Hopefully I might have a photo of another one I had in the opened position, I will try looking for it in my photo files.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1480.jpeg

Rupert exposed . . . . . . .

this is a photograph of one of my other ' Rupert's ' opened and displaying the details and the chute attached to him.

.post-344-0-89505100-1553531658_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Great stuff Ken.

I thought the Winters jacket was the reveal.

Hi Peter.

heres another shot of the jacket labelled upon ready for the auction, an original call sheet to be auctioned along with the jacket and trousers, and a set of Lt bars which hadn't been sewn to the jacket before it was damaged on the sleeve below the 101 patch, theres also a missing small corner of the lower left pocket torn off.

.post-344-0-15361600-1553533490_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Great stuff Ken.

Hi Peter, another Band of brothers jacket a Norwegian copy of the American M-43 jacket, these were made for the Norwegian forces post WWII and as such made to the same strict quality of the original American M-43s they copied. Several Norwegian companies made these jackets and small differences will be found in buttons and pocket linings. One company copied the American jacket exactly in button shape and colours, also they did white cotton pocket linings.

This jacket has studio stamps inside the neckline but no particular actor named.

.post-344-0-86697400-1553534159_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Great stuff Ken.

Hi Peter, as you will read on the attached label I supplied 300 jackets and pants to the series. The reason for this was I had to supply a split of the jacket conditions, there had to be a number of totally new unworn jackets, and a number of combat used jackets. The wardrobe head wanted to show new jackets in use just issued, and then broken down washed and combat used jackets giving the impression of weeks of wearing in frontline use. A lot of thought and detail went into this production.

.post-344-0-50159700-1553534544_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

That Rupert is awesome Ken! Who would dare to open it?!

I remember one sold for a lot of £££ a couple of years ago in the UK, but it wasn't still wrapped up. Good luck!!

Hi Graham, thanks, as you say increasingly hard to now find an example still tied from the factory like this.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1480.jpegVery nice....

I

Ooooh very nice!!

I guess we know where Rupert is or landed but Where's Waldo?? :D

General Apathy

From the Shoebox. . . . . . . . . Prepared for auction.

its not feasible to show every piece thats going to auction so I have chosen a few interesting pieces.

this one is a British made embroidered on felt 101st patch, a veteran take-off

.post-344-0-61784700-1553551522.jpeg

.post-344-0-91063000-1553551547.jpeg

General Apathy

Spotted whilst driving around . . . . . . . . . . War stuff.

Spotted this German fuel barrel two days ago, next time I pass that way I might try to ask the owner if I can look at the base of the barrel see if the German detail can still be seen on the bottom, after seventy years of gathering water there may not be any bottom. ???

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 26 2019.

.post-344-0-61994200-1553602533.jpeg

General Apathy

Spotted whilst driving around . . . . . . . . war stuff.

Spotted this trailer parked up today with two short pieces of PSP plank being used as ramps.

.post-344-0-04884500-1553602716_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter, as you will read on the attached label I supplied 300 jackets and pants to the series. The reason for this was I had to supply a split of the jacket conditions, there had to be a number of totally new unworn jackets, and a number of combat used jackets. The wardrobe head wanted to show new jackets in use just issued, and then broken down washed and combat used jackets giving the impression of weeks of wearing in frontline use. A lot of thought and detail went into this production.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1495.jpeg

Ken, Unless the shoebox is even more extensive than I can imagine, where did you get 300 jump jackets?

Ken, Unless the shoebox is even more extensive than I can imagine, where did you get 300 jump jackets?

They were in his kitchen cupboard.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Erick, do you want to hear the funny thing, well funny for me, or more correctly should I say beneficial for me . . . . . . .

At the beginning of production I supplied as I said three hundred M-43 style jackets and pants for the Foy woods and Bastogne episodes, when the guys came to start preparing the suits for those episodes the ' cupboards were bare ' as the nursery rhyme goes. The three hundred suits had disappeared out the wardrobe department, I had to re-order a further three hundred sets in double quick time, which I managed to do.

Another funny experience was the requirement for several hundred pieces of equipment that I used to buy from a warehouse in the depths of France. As I already had other stocks sat in my motor I had a choice either plan # A drive two hundred miles to my depot and unload, then another hundred miles back to Dover ferry port with an empty vehicle. Or plan # B drive to Dover saving time and money, and call into the UK customs and declare all the cartons of equipment already in my motor before leaving the UK, so I went with plan # B and the customs said that was fine they were happy enough about that.

Now here's the shortened version of the return, approaching Calais the Douane ( customs ) were doing a roadside check of vehicles, I got a tug and asked for the paperwork for all the items I had on board. I explained which boxes I had invoice paperwork for, and that the other boxes were already in the motor and I had cleared them with English customs in Dover before sailing for France. At which the customs officer waggled his index finger across the front of my face and stated in French ' yes Monsieur, but you are NO LONGER in England ' and started to search the motor. Upon which he let out a loud yell when he spotted several .45 Cal 1911 pistols and magazines behind the front seats, his colleagues all raced over and surrounded the motor, at which I am shouting that they are all fake pistols and made of rubber for film work, when he found that he could bend them he was happier. I pulled out my folder of photographs I had taken at the studios, when they saw one of the extras who was laughing at the camera with all his stomach hanging out and blood soaked clothing, all the weapons were forgotten and so was the paperwork and invoices, as they turned the last page they wished me Bon Voyage . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now to get back through the UK customs . . . . . . . thankfully all went smoothly.