Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Spotted in Normandy . . . . . . .

a house owner has a series of exterior lights along the length of his house, they just happen to be 90mm shell cases that he has converted into light-bulb holders . . . . . . I had to take the photograph in daylight in order to see the shell casing so the light doesn't show very brightly.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 18 2019.

.post-344-0-85000000-1550500242_thumb.jpeg

a house owner has a series of exterior lights along the length of his house, they just happen to be 90mm shell cases that he has converted into light-bulb holders . . . . . . I had to take the photograph in daylight in order to see the shell casing so the light doesn't show very brightly.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_10e6.jpeg

That's very delightful………………………. -_-

Rene

General Apathy

TAPS, George Mendonsa dies aged 95 . . . . . . .

George Mendonsa the Navy sailor whose kiss with a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of the Second World War and immortalized in one of the most iconic photos of the 20th century died yesterday aged 95.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_10e6.jpeg

Great picture. It never ceases to amaze me about the resourcefulness of the people back then. Gives a new light on the word "repurpose." (Pun intended)

Thanks, Al

TAPS, George Mendonsa dies aged 95 . . . . . . .

George Mendonsa the Navy sailor whose kiss with a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of the Second World War and immortalized in one of the most iconic photos of the 20th century died yesterday aged 95.

Hi Ken, you probably know this but a few years ago the Mémorial de Caen museum had a larger than life size statue of 'the famous kiss' in front of its entrance.

post-169612-0-40012100-1550581224_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Great picture. It never ceases to amaze me about the resourcefulness of the people back then. Gives a new light on the word "repurpose." (Pun intended)

Thanks, Al

Hi Al, happy to throw some new light on how people re-purposed surplus world war two equipment laying around after the war.

here's my garden drinks tray . . . . . . . . . . Chin-Chin, I'll drink to that.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 19 2019.

.post-344-0-90891900-1550583306.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Ken, you probably know this but a few years ago the Mémorial de Caen museum had a larger than life size statue of 'the famous kiss' in front of its entrance.

attachicon.gifSAM_1142a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, many thanks for the photo of the iconic ' kiss 'statue.

General Apathy

This statue or one just like it has now been outside the Bastogne museum for some years...

Hi Johan, thanks for letting us know that theres one outside the Bastogne museum, I don't recall it being there when I last visited around 2009.

It was fun that day in 2009 Peter De Brabander ( owner of Quartermaster stores, Belgium ) arrived in his military vehicle and several other friends with theirs and all parked in a row, we said hello to one another and they went off into the museum. Once they were inside out of sight I moved each of their vehicles to the opposite side of the carpark and lined them up exactly the same but facing the opposite direction, I have never found out so far if they ever realised that the vehicles weren't where they left them when they entered the museum.

Hi Al, happy to throw some new light on how people re-purposed surplus world war two equipment laying around after the war.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1118.jpeg

Hi Ken, that's a very nice collection of Kraftstoff on that tray. Feuergefaehrlich, indeed......

Is this by any chance in preparation for the 1 millionth view?......not long now.....

Rene

Hi Johan, thanks for letting us know that theres one outside the Bastogne museum, I don't recall it being there when I last visited around 2009.

It was fun that day in 2009 Peter De Brabander ( owner of Quartermaster stores, Belgium ) arrived in his military vehicle and several other friends with theirs and all parked in a row, we said hello to one another and they went off into the museum. Once they were inside out of sight I moved each of their vehicles to the opposite side of the carpark and lined them up exactly the same but facing the opposite direction, I have never found out so far if they ever realised that the vehicles weren't where they left them when they entered the museum.

Hahaha, they probably knew it was you………….

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, that's a very nice collection of Kraftstoff on that tray. Feuergefaehrlich, indeed......

Is this by any chance in preparation for the 1 millionth view?......not long now.....

Rene

. Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, the countdown is on. . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Rene

Hi Rene, well picking up on your mention of ' not long now ' that is my second incarnation of mortality and Memento Mori today. An hour ago my new MVT membership card arrived I joined the MVT as a LIFE-MEMBER and it was weird to see that my membership finishes in 2020, perhaps they have had a premonition that I haven't had. ???? :)

.post-344-0-19511800-1550590017_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, well picking up on your mention of ' not long now ' that is my second incarnation of mortality and Memento Mori today. An hour ago my new MVT membership card arrived I joined the MVT as a LIFE-MEMBER and it was weird to see that my membership finishes in 2020, perhaps they have had a premonition that I haven't had. ???? :)

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_111c.jpeg

Along with my new membership card the new issue of Windscreen magazine arrived and theres a letter printed I emailed in. Again they mention photographs and details that they cannot use due to safety issues, they have also reduced the fact that I rolled the Champ over three rolls on a wet road and reduced the mention of it to ' sliding across the road with inevitable consequences ' Fortunately my cousin and myself walked away without a scratch, he went out on the first roll and I hung onto the steering wheel and completed the three rolls, the party was great when we finally got to it.

.post-344-0-25618400-1550591261_thumb.jpeg

attachicon.gif SAM_1142a.jpg

Rene

Just read a random news article about the photo. It ended with the observation that some people are complaining that the photo celebrates a public sexual assault. The world is full of idiots. If the nurse didn't mind, neither should anyone else.

Mikie

Along with my new membership card the new issue of Windscreen magazine arrived and theres a letter printed I emailed in. Again they mention photographs and details that they cannot use due to safety issues, they have also reduced the fact that I rolled the Champ over three rolls on a wet road and reduced the mention of it to ' sliding across the road with inevitable consequences ' Fortunately my cousin and myself walked away without a scratch, he went out on the first roll and I hung onto the steering wheel and completed the three rolls, the party was great when we finally got to it.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_111d.jpeg

Ken, that isn't exactly what Rock and Roll is supposed to be about...But then again, maybe it is?

8f5636a8e6ac6931579a0368ec285ed5.jpg

Heres the numba 1

Son

Wee o

Yes vintage 501s

And

Tiger stripe tour jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some Irish inlaws. I love it when they use the word "wee" describing the kids.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_111c.jpeg

Well it's nice to have a little certainty I life.

Reminds me that somewhere I have a lifetime Gemsco department store membership card. The store went out of business just a couple of years after I bought the membership. Story of my life.

Mikie

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_1118.jpeg

I'm sure this is a better use for it than it's original purpose. Cheers!

Works for me! 3 is my favorite number. Not necessarily lucky, but I like it. I was born on the 3rd, same as my Dad, and I'm the 3rd son.

Glad to hear all went as planned for the day!

By the way, we have a house full of visiting in-laws and starting Sunday we're going to be doing some travelling, taking them around for sightseeing etc. So I may not be checking in here for about a week once we hit the road. I'll try popping in when I can, and hopefully will find something of interest for you somewhere along the way. Though knowing them, there will be lots of stops at outlet malls, which don't interest me at all. Luckily, I otherwise get along well with the in-laws so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Mikie

We arrived in Las Vegas last night after a long long drive. So far no outlet mall stops. Though we did spend some quality time at Wal-Mart after checking in. So far, besides my 1942 mussette bag, the only militaria I've seen was an old army truck on the side of the highway being used as some kind of produce stand advertising sign. Went by way too fast to catch more than a glimpse of it. We did pass by Edwards Air Force base. I'd LOVE to take a look in there! it seems that Wayne Newton has quite a bit of military stuff in his museum. But it's closed for renovation. Dang!

Mikie

Just read a random news article about the photo. It ended with the observation that some people are complaining that the photo celebrates a public sexual assault. The world is full of idiots. If the nurse didn't mind, neither should anyone else.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I agree……..

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/323783-george-mendonsa-sailor-kissing-woman-in-iconic-v-j-day-photo/

Rene