Norman D. Landing

bilko1

A friend in the village walked his dog along Utah beach yesterday and spotted this M1 helmet clip glinting in the sand.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_ca1.jpeg

Hi Ken,

Glad to see that you are really knuckling down on your tasks!

It never ceases to amaze me what you folks just find laying around on the beaches (and yards, fields, etc.).

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Ken, you are doing a fine job watching your carbs..........

Rene

Hi Rene, yes you're right I am having to watch my Carbs, as you know I am not much of a drinker . . . . . ., so this Christmas I only got three bottles of Gin, the other fifteen gifts were a mixture of chocolates or biscuits, hence having to watch my Carbs. Just sent my daughter a txt to say that I have lost five pounds in weight in the last two weeks, a new girlfriend will do that for you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26 2019.

General Apathy

Hi all, this Then and Now shot from Venlo shows the same church (St. Martinuschurch) as in the 'snowy' picture I posted a couple of days ago. The picture is taken from a different angle and dates I believe from 1945. At first glance the church may seem structurally sound but it suffered damage from a fire as a result from bombing raids. It also misses the top part from its tower including the spire. During a storm at the end of 1945 the tower collapsed and any hope of restoring the original church was gone. The church in the Now shot was completed in 1953. I've also added a picture of what it looked like before the war.

attachicon.gifkleine kerkstraat 2.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, Great shots of Venlo, strangely I like the shape of the church tower in the wartime shot in preference to the pre-war and the post-war towers.

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Glad to see that you are really knuckling down on your tasks!

It never ceases to amaze me what you folks just find laying around on the beaches (and yards, fields, etc.).

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I really wish that that was true, its amazing when you have chores to do and a deadline to hit how easily distractions come along, and mentioning that lunch has arrived on the table.

Hi Rene, yes you're right I am having to watch my Carbs, as you know I am not much of a drinker . . . . . ., so this Christmas I only got three bottles of Gin, the other fifteen gifts were a mixture of chocolates or biscuits, hence having to watch my Carbs. Just sent my daughter a txt to say that I have lost five pounds in weight in the last two weeks, a new girlfriend will do that for you.

with my weight dropping due to my diet cooking Boo has lost 35 lbs

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Mikie

. Hi Mikie, why do you never get hungry at the beach, because of all the sand-which is there, ( sandwiches )ok forget it, it wasn't that funny.

.post-344-0-06505000-1548518245_thumb.jpg

. Hi Mikie, why do you never get hungry at the beach, because of all the sand-which is there, ( sandwiches )ok forget it, it wasn't that funny.

. post-344-1320604590.jpg

??? that one never gets old! (Except to my kids who have heard me repeat it every time we go to the beach! ?)

... I have lost five pounds in weight in the last two weeks, a new girlfriend will do that for you.

I think I found the 5 pounds you lost...

And congratulations on the new girlfriend!

Mikie

General Apathy

??? that one never gets old! (Except to my kids who have heard me repeat it every time we go to the beach! ?)

Hi Erick, well heres a more recent one for you . . . . . .

What did the ocean say when it got into a fight with the sand ?

oh my God, youre such a beach

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 27 2019.

General Apathy

I think I found the 5 pounds you lost...

And congratulations on the new girlfriend!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Hi Rene, Great shots of Venlo, strangely I like the shape of the church tower in the wartime shot in preference to the pre-war and the post-war towers.

Hi Ken, funny you should say that…...the pre-war tower was designed by the (around here) famous architect Pierre Cuypers and it is rather liked by my fellow citizens. I don't care too much for the post-war tower but rather like the pre-war one too.

Rene

Aha, now I understand where all the chores you are mentioning off late are coming from....that's what a new girlfriend will also do for you…... ;)

But on a serious note: I'm with Mikie on this one; congrats!

Rene

General Apathy

Aha, now I understand where all the chores you are mentioning off late are coming from....that's what a new girlfriend will also do for you... ;)

But on a serious note: I'm with Mikie on this one; congrats!

Rene

Hi Rene, well its all early days yet, but she is interested by way of family in both WWI and WWII, her grandfather served in WWI and survived, he was put forward for a Victoria Cross for gallantry, however he didn't get awarded that, he was awarded the DSO, plus the MC and bar and several other medals.

Her father who fought in WWII and landed on the British beaches at Courselles. Right the way through his life he set off the metal detectors at airports and such as he had a piece of shrapnel still inside him which was never removed.

General Apathy

sad news day . . . . . . . . .

three days ago I received a phone call to say that a long-time Jeeping friend Joe Cooper had died at just 55. Known by everyone affectionately as ' Big ' Joe, he was always happy, jovial and friendly with everyone, as witnessed by all the tributes to him on Facebook and elsewhere.

Joe had a carpet store and about twelve years ago one of my nephews dropped in the store one day to buy some carpet for his house, my nephew didn't know Joe or anything about his collection of militaria and military vehicles. My nephew spotted a copy of Doughboy to G.I. on a shelf in Joe's office and said to Joe ' my uncle wrote that book', laughing Joe pointed at the book and said ' My friend wrote that book '.

It will be a sad summer this year here in Normandy not seeing Joe whizzing around in a Jeep or sat in the rear seat of Matthews Kubelwagen.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2019.

.post-344-0-76421300-1548664607_thumb.jpg

three days ago I received a phone call to say that a long-time Jeeping friend Joe Cooper had died at just 55. Known by everyone affectionately as ' Big ' Joe, he was always happy, jovial and friendly with everyone, as witnessed by all the tributes to him on Facebook and elsewhere.

Joe had a carpet store and about twelve years ago one of my nephews dropped in the store one day to buy some carpet for his house, my nephew didn't know Joe or anything about his collection of militaria and military vehicles. My nephew spotted a copy of Doughboy to G.I. on a shelf in Joe's office and said to Joe ' my uncle wrote that book', laughing Joe pointed at the book and said ' My friend wrote that book '.

It will be a sad summer this year here in Normandy not seeing Joe whizzing around in a Jeep or sat in the rear seat of Matthews Kubelwagen.

.attachicon.gif50962137_1076924335849313_6847525286964101120_n.jpg

so sorry. tough to lose someone at that age

General Apathy

so sorry. tough to lose someone at that age

Hi Robert, thanks for your thoughts . . . . . . at 55 its possibly only half a life.

Hi Erick, well heres a more recent one for you . . . . . .

What did the ocean say when it got into a fight with the sand ?

oh my God, youre such a beach

:lol::lol::lol: Ken, you're killing me with this WAVE of beach jokes!

Ken,

Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. May he Rest in Peace.

General Apathy

:lol::lol::lol: Ken, you're killing me with this WAVE of beach jokes!

Hahhaaa Erick, thanks, sorry to say you missed a golden opportunity with your comment, surely you should have put

Ken, you're drowning me with this wave of beach jokes !

another one for for you ' what did the beach say when the tide come in ' .... ' Long time no sea '

keeping on the theme of the seaside I have used the pseudonym ' Norman D. Landing ' for many years as a business name.

I enjoyed having a fictitious office manager and his name was ' Sandy Beach '

Part of the small print of using photographs purchased from the U.S. National archives was provide the Archives with a copy of how photos or information was used in print. As I had used quite a few photos from the archive it was far easier to send them a complete book than photo-copy a number of pages. my ' Office manager' Sandy Beach forwarded a copy of the book to the archives, a few years later another English friend visited the archives researching information on WWII US Marines, one of the curators showed Jim a copy of Doughboy to G.I. and contained inside the pages was the accompanying letter from Sandy Beach.

Myself and friends whilst having a beer would often try to think of funny names that would be associated with various companies. I wanted two office juniors Mr. Tide and his helper Mr. Surf. I thought it might be fun if someone phoned in asking to speak to Mr. Tide I could say ' sorry Tides out, but Surfs in '

I once had a phone call from the producer of Jeremy Clarksons Top-Gear programme, when I said Kenneth Lewis speaking he was insistent that he wanted to speak to Mr. Landing, it was a real struggle to try and explain to him that that name was a pseudonym and no such person existed.

There is an antiques dealer in Hastings in the UK, he was actually born on Jun 6th 1944, his family name is Day, so his father seeing all the newspaper headlines stating ' D-Day ' had arrived in Europe, he registered his sons name as Dee Day.

life is a laugh, as long as you make it so.

General Apathy

Ken,

Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. May he Rest in Peace.

Hi Erick, thanks for your kind thoughts, he died at 55 it reminds us how short life can be.

Sad to hear of the loss of your friend Joe. My sympathy to his family and friends.

Mikie

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1320604590.jpg

Mmmmmm...sandwich.....

post-2687-0-16219200-1548709467.jpg

And yes it was funny.

Mikie