Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hey Ken, you didnt happen to see the US Wonens Soccer team wandering around Normandy, did you? According to their twitter posts, they met up with 4 U.S. Vet, including one who played the harmonica. The video of him playing his harmonica is really touching. Hhopefully this link will work!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ussoccer_wnt/status/1085573514722193409?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hi Robert, back in the late 70s three friends from London heard the rumour of a tank in a breakers yard out in the country, however the exact yard was not mentioned. So they did an intense search using telephone directories, driving around breakers yards, etc, etc. One evening across some fields they spotted in the distance large piles of cars and cranes and headed in that direction, they spoke to someone working just near the entrance and asked if there was a tank in that yard, he pointed into a corner of the yard and said that there was one over there.

This was the one they found . . . . . . . . . and the rest is history. It was bought, sold, refurbished and into a private collection in Germany.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16 2019.

.attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

Haha, I think this is the same Panther that was confiscated German authorities about three years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfwF3PMFg0 (After the Battle photos are also shown)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11716177/Second-World-War-tank-and-anti-aircraft-gun-found-hidden-in-basement-of-villa-in-Germany.html

Rene

That privately owned Panther tank in Germany was confiscated in an investigation on much more than only the tank....

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/world/europe/sleuth-work-leads-to-discovery-of-art-beloved-by-hitler.html

Thanks for adding this link, Johan. I wasn`t aware of this story.

On a not so serious note: herr Flick…….I should have known…….. ^_^

Rene

Simon Lerenfort

Hopefully the Panther might go to a museum, it would be crazy if it got scrapped, even if was "incriminated" by Herr Flick and his art collection.

General Apathy

Thanks and apologies . . . . . . . .

Hi everyone first off my thanks for all the posts in the past two weeks, and my apologies for not answering or acknowledging individually the posts, I am presently under pressure time-wise with other chores and will only be posting now and again for the next two months

I thought I would add this quick post, thirty years ago a friend bought and restored a half-ton Dodge Command car, during the restoration he discovered several items. One being a 1941 four page US Army accident report form, I may try and post these shortly, for now I am showing the partial label he found which had been removed from a WWII British beer bottle along with an image of what a complete label would have looked like.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,January 19 2019.

. post-344-0-16786900-1547891566.jpegpost-344-0-89178900-1547891601.jpeg

Great lable.

Bottle hunters here still find old empty beer and whiskey bottles in barns.Was common for men to dispose of them in the out buildings and when tearing down buildings you find them in the walls.Many dig old outhouse sites as well.These were the trash bin of the day back then for the house hold.

Hi all, we had our first snow of the year yesterdayin Venlo. I will post a Then and Now of the church in the background tomorrow or the day after.

post-169612-0-01561700-1548259968.jpg

Rene

Simon Lerenfort

Thanks and apologies . . . . . . . .

Hi everyone first off my thanks for all the posts in the past two weeks, and my apologies for not answering or acknowledging individually the posts, I am presently under pressure time-wise with other chores and will only be posting now and again for the next two months

I thought I would add this quick post, thirty years ago a friend bought and restored a half-ton Dodge Command car, during the restoration he discovered several items. One being a 1941 four page US Army accident report form, I may try and post these shortly, for now I am showing the partial label he found which had been removed from a WWII British beer bottle along with an image of what a complete label would have looked like.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,January 19 2019.

. attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_bdd.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_2833.JPEG

Hi Ken,

One might consider that the presence of one might have led to the need to complete the other, if you see what I mean...

Hi Rene. Snow is so pretty when you get to look at it from thousands of miles away. Growing up my first 24 years in Upstate New York, I had my share of snow until I moved to California in 1982. I don't miss it at all. Lake Tahoe and the Sierra ski areas are just a few hours drive, so that's close enough for me when the family wants to go play.

That said, my daughter Kassidy and friends got caught in a snow storm last week while on a trip south to Los Angeles. That's her on the right. They had to wait over 2 hours for the highway to reopen. This is about 70 miles from LA.

post-2687-0-30808500-1548262287_thumb.jpg

With Ken busy for a while, his disciples will have to take over the heavy lifting around here. I've got a thing or two about my local history I'm working on that I hope you will enjoy.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Same here this morning... Woke up to find some 4" of snow...

Not common at all over here these past few years...

Had great fun driving to work today...

post-92-0-56792700-1548264259_thumb.jpg

We took Kassidy to visit my Mom for Thanksgiving, November 1999. There was a blizzard the day before we arrived and there was still a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Roads were a mess. I went home again the very following April 2000 when Mom passed away. There was a blizzard the day before I arrived and there was still a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Roads were a mess. That makes close to half a year of dealing with snow. No thanks. But I do enjoy your beautiful pictures of it all.

Mikie

General Apathy

Same here this morning... Woke up to find some 4" of snow...

Not common at all over here these past few years...

Had great fun driving to work today...

Hi Johan, Mikie and Rene, thanks for the snow reports, thankfully or sadly we have had no snow here since 2013, so here is an old shot of the fun that can be had with the snow . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24 2019.

.post-344-0-15317200-1548328436_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

One might consider that the presence of one might have led to the need to complete the other, if you see what I mean...

Hi Simon, thanks for your 'cryptic' message, I really should not be looking at the computer in my present need to complete tasks by an imposed deadline of mid-March. . . . . . however as requested there are four pages to add here, not in brilliant condition as they had resided for maybe thirty years in an abandoned vehicle before my friend restored it.

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24 2019.

.post-344-0-75685200-1548328794_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Simon, thanks for your 'cryptic' message, I really should not be looking at the computer in my present need to complete tasks by an imposed deadline of mid-March. . . . . . however as requested there are four pages to add here, not in brilliant condition as they had resided for maybe thirty years in an abandoned vehicle before my friend restored it.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24 2019.

.post-344-0-04388100-1548328863_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

.post-344-0-49562700-1548328945_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

.post-344-0-45624300-1548329038_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

In another wayward moment of avoided my tasks yesterday I scored a result . . . . .

yesterday I was alerted to two used Jeep carburettors for sale, so I took the time to phone and buy them. Back to the grindstone now and maybe a mid-night or later finish . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-92007800-1548329373_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

A friend in the village walked his dog along Utah beach yesterday and spotted this M1 helmet clip glinting in the sand.

.post-344-0-36307400-1548345258_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hey Ken, you didnt happen to see the US Wonens Soccer team wandering around Normandy, did you? According to their twitter posts, they met up with 4 U.S. Vet, including one who played the harmonica. The video of him playing his harmonica is really touching. Hhopefully this link will work!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ussoccer_wnt/status/1085573514722193409?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Hi Erick, so you didn't manage to get across with the women's team, sadly I didn't see any sign of them in my part of Normandy, nice that they met up with four vets. All a poor time of the year to be visiting Normandy, most restaurants, bars and such close for the winter months, and owners take their holidays in readiness for a full summers work.

I noticed that the vet playing the harmonica had the town of Kidderminster embroidered on his cap. Back in the late 70s I lived only a few miles from the wartime site of the US hospital at Kidderminster and often used to look around that area. There was a farm that somehow or another ended up with all of the medical equipment when the US Army hospital left the area, myself and friends bought pieces from the farm in the late 70's. Other friends Martin and Fran Collins researched and wrote a book about the U.S. Kidderminster hospital in maybe the 1980s or so.

Hi Rene. Snow is so pretty when you get to look at it from thousands of miles away. Growing up my first 24 years in Upstate New York, I had my share of snow until I moved to California in 1982. I don't miss it at all. Lake Tahoe and the Sierra ski areas are just a few hours drive, so that's close enough for me when the family wants to go play.

That said, my daughter Kassidy and friends got caught in a snow storm last week while on a trip south to Los Angeles. That's her on the right. They had to wait over 2 hours for the highway to reopen. This is about 70 miles from LA.

attachicon.gifsnow.jpg

With Ken busy for a while, his disciples will have to take over the heavy lifting around here. I've got a thing or two about my local history I'm working on that I hope you will enjoy.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, it may never rain in Southern California but apparently is does snow ^_^

Rene

In another wayward moment of avoided my tasks yesterday I scored a result . . . . .

yesterday I was alerted to two used Jeep carburettors for sale, so I took the time to phone and buy them. Back to the grindstone now and maybe a mid-night or later finish . . . . . . .

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_c9d.jpeg

Hi Ken, you are doing a fine job watching your carbs..........

Rene

Hi all, this Then and Now shot from Venlo shows the same church (St. Martinuschurch) as in the 'snowy' picture I posted a couple of days ago. The picture is taken from a different angle and dates I believe from 1945. At first glance the church may seem structurally sound but it suffered damage from a fire as a result from bombing raids. It also misses the top part from its tower including the spire. During a storm at the end of 1945 the tower collapsed and any hope of restoring the original church was gone. The church in the Now shot was completed in 1953. I've also added a picture of what it looked like before the war.

post-169612-0-03272200-1548452105.jpg

post-169612-0-24001800-1548452670.jpg

Before the war:

post-169612-0-63918300-1548453142.jpg

Rene