Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Been poking around but have not found anything about this interesting photo yet.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sadly if there is any official press release information it is on the reverse of the photograph, which seldom gets reproduced at the same time as the photograph.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 14 2018.

General Apathy

Here’s one for you jeep geeks b467d1adf04822f5d86444b1b5c22d56.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ron, thanks for adding the link to the forum, and thanks Owen for adding a photograph from the link.

I would say most Jeep owners would wish to own one or all of those engine hood covers, I would be in the frame for owning one.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15 2018.

General Apathy

I have examples of "Made in Belgium" canteen cups.Dated 44 or 45.I know mess kits are also marked as such.There were items put into production in theatre and Im wondering if th photo may be related to such activity

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/136371-canteen-cup-made-in-belgium-for-us/

Hi Ron, I have a US style stainless steel fork ' A.B.L. Made in Belgium ' if it is the date it seems unusual ' 18-8 ' ??, maybe our favourite Belgian Johan could tell us more about this.

post-344-0-47499500-1544868898_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy finds yesterday . . . . . . .

I met a UK friend and his wife for coffee yesterday in Ste Mere Eglise, they were over here to sign the final paperwork on a house they have just bought here. The house hadn't been lived in for many years and it had been used as a store-room for a business next door, supposedly they had 'cleaned ' it out ready for John to take over.

However he was then surprised to see that a number of plastic trays and such sat in the corner of a room, he was really pleased to find hidden amongst the trays the wooden ammunition crate shown below . . . . .

He also spotted a missing stone in a wall and resting in the space was a German leather ammunition pouch, apologies I didn't get a shot of that, and he also found pre-war newspapers dated 38 & 39 . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-21305000-1544869571_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

However he was then surprised to see that a number of plastic trays and such sat in the corner of a room, he was really pleased to find hidden amongst the trays the wooden ammunition crate shown below . . . . .

post-344-0-92844400-1544869777_thumb.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_63d.jpeg

Amazing the "junk" that is still just stuck away! Hope your friend enjoys his new home!

Click on the link below for the story of a wartime USAAF B-17 crash at Highclere Castle used as the fictional house ' Downton Abbey ' in the British television series. One twenty-one year old airman survived the crash and his story is told in the attached article.

Moving story. Especially since it all happend days before VE-day.

Rene

General Apathy

Amazing the "junk" that is still just stuck away! Hope your friend enjoys his new home!

Hi Erick, It may be that I only get to show you a zillionth of the pieces that are still discovered ( or discarded ) daily in Normandy.

John and his wife's house and finds are possibly less than eighty yards from this 1944 image. Another UK friend has a house that looks out onto this square and when he moved in his loft was stuffed with German and American small pieces probably recovered from the square.

.post-344-0-84152600-1544879149.jpeg

Hi Ron, thanks for adding the link to the forum, and thanks Owen for adding a photograph from the link.

I would say most Jeep owners would wish to own one or all of those engine hood covers, I would be in the frame for owning one.

Just take care you're not gettig hoodwinked........... ;)

Rene

General Apathy

It's always nice to have a 'hood' over your head…

Rene

Hi Rene, a few weeks back you were a little amazed at the amount of spares I carry around on a regular basis in the Jeep. Well I have now increased the amount of spares, just in case I get four punctures all at once . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Only joking mister, John who I just mentioned buying the house dropped off the tires with me for another Jeep friend that is currently in Holland and I will keep them until he returns next week. ;)

.post-344-0-82342700-1544879810.jpeg

It appears Normandy is still a treasure trove for all WW2 collectors. All it needs is buying a house....hahaha. Personally I wouldn't mind :). From what I gather from this thread and the people that have moved there it is quite good living over there.

Rene

General Apathy

Just take care you're not gettig hoodwinked........... ;)

Rene

Hi Rene, we could become ' Boys of the Hood ' . . . . . . . . . . :unsure:

General Apathy

It appears Normandy is still a treasure trove for all WW2 collectors. All it needs is buying a house....hahaha. Personally I wouldn't mind :). From what I gather from this thread and the people that have moved there it is quite good living over there.

Rene

Hi Rene, you say that it sounds like quite good living ' over there ' . . . . . . . . personally I think its quite good living ' over here '. ^_^

Hi Rene, you say that it sounds like quite good living ' over there ' . . . . . . . . personally I think its quite good living ' over here '. ^_^

I'll take your word for it, Ken since your perspective is a 'little' bit better than mine on that subject, hahaha

Rene

Hundredth anniversary of the end of WWI, 1918 - 2018 . . . . . . . . .

A friend and his brother wished to mark the hundredth anniversary of the end of WWI in a way that school children would have something to look at and consider the realities on the lines of a WWI trench

" Sad day yesterday as we started to dismantle the trench that Brother Pete and I built back in February.... can’t believe how the time has flown... The indoor exhibition and trench which we built at The British Schools Museum was a huge success and topped with an award for best exhibitions throughout the year. We also mocked up an Officers dugout in the cellar of the museum which worked well.

I can’t remember if I sent pics at the time but here are a couple anyway.... first with a slight dusting of snow at the beginning of the year and a couple of shots from yesterday.... Mick & Pete. "

I am full of admiration for the voluntary work and materials they donated to construct this, its a pity that it was not left as a permanent display for further generations to see. I hope that maybe some forum members will read this and be inspired to construct similar dioramas at their children schools, possibly a 2019 display for the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_62c.jpeg

An amazing display and I agree its a shame it wasnt left in place to be seen.

General Apathy

An amazing display and I agree its a shame it wasnt left in place to be seen.

Hi Ron, thanks for enjoying the trench exhibition, its nice when peoples work is appreciated ;)

Heres an email I had from a friend detailing the work going on at the old WWII Willow Run plant trying to turn it into a worthwhile air museum.

Yankee air Museum.

I was privileged to visit there this fall, a nice museum with the potential to expand. I had always wanted to visit Willow Run, to see where they were putting out B-24's every hour during WWII. Most of the buildings are gone, but they saved one to expand what they have.

Hi Ron, thanks for enjoying the trench exhibition, its nice when peoples work is appreciated ;)

Heres an email I had from a friend detailing the work going on at the old WWII Willow Run plant trying to turn it into a worthwhile air museum.

Yankee air Museum.

I was privileged to visit there this fall, a nice museum with the potential to expand. I had always wanted to visit Willow Run, to see where they were putting out B-24's every hour during WWII. Most of the buildings are gone, but they saved one to expand what they have.

Looks great. I would love to go up in one those B17's. The museum reminds me a bit of the IWM Duxford museum in England.

Rene

I met a UK friend and his wife for coffee yesterday in Ste Mere Eglise, they were over here to sign the final paperwork on a house they have just bought here. The house hadn't been lived in for many years and it had been used as a store-room for a business next door, supposedly they had 'cleaned ' it out ready for John to take over.

He also spotted a missing stone in a wall and resting in the space was a German leather ammunition pouch, apologies I didn't get a shot of that, and he also found pre-war newspapers dated 38 & 39 . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_63b.jpeg

If that is what was left behind, I'm feeling sick about what may have been "cleaned out"! Best wishes to your r friends on their new home.

Mikie

What a thrill to see about a million posting notices in my inbox this morning. Wonderful way to start the day.

We're getting ready to head out of town for an overnight visit with some of my wonderful inlaws. So no time to make much comments right now.

I agree with Ron about a pity they couldn't keep that trench exhibit up. But very clever how they made it.

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks. I look forward to checking in tomorrow evening.

Mikie

Dutch mud (almost) stopping a Jeep.............

A few weeks ago I got this book as a birthday present. It deals in depth with the 1944 front situation of the area I live in. It's a hefty tome with lots of maps and photographs (the title translates as 'WHAT IS KEEPING OUR LIBERATORS! through mud and mines towards the Maas' referring to the eagerness of the Dutch people to get rid of the German occupation forces). Unfortunately it will, as far as I know, not be published in English. For those of you who can read Dutch its ISBN/EAN is 978-90-738-06-27-6. Just to be clear: I have no connection to the writers nor the publishers.

Of course the real reason for showing this book is the Jeep on the cover...... ^_^

post-169612-0-81810400-1544968098.jpg

Rene

Hi Ron, I have a US style stainless steel fork ' A.B.L. Made in Belgium ' if it is the date it seems unusual ' 18-8 ' ??, maybe our favourite Belgian Johan could tell us more about this.

fullsizeoutput_643.jpeg

Wow 537 pages here and I finally have something relevant to add, I have waited years for this moment. Lol.

Ken, 18-8 is not a date but rather the grade of stainless steel the fork is made from.

CB

Wow 537 pages here and I finally have something relevant to add, I have waited years for this moment. Lol.

Ken, 18-8 is not a date but rather the grade of stainless steel the fork is made from.

CB

Hi CB, nice to hear from you and if you are a little bit familiar with this thread you will know that relevance is not always a key factor for contributing here ^_^:D:lol:

Rene