Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan, that looks like it was a fun trip! Your bicycle looks fantastic. How comfortable is that seat? Have any more pix of that Clubmobile? Thanks for sharing your tour!

Terry

Johan Willaert

Thanks Terry... Saddle is pretty hard, as there' only minor horsehair padding underneath a layer of thick leather...

But I'm use to cycling, so it doesn't really bother me....

Two extra shots of the clubmobile.... Oops...was just having a mouthful of cookie... LOL!!!

post-92-0-71793700-1540211271_thumb.jpg

Have to admit to being a little depressed lately. I was picked for jury duty and have been listening to the case for a week now. Not a fun experience by any means. Good news is that seeing the posts here helps with decompressing after getting home. Add "theraputic" to the description of this thread.

Mikie

Great pictures Johan. That Clubmobile looked kinda familiar. A quick search in my photo file brought this one to light from the Santa Fe event in 2015. Didn't sample the cookies, though.

post-169612-0-53778900-1540308366_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Mikie, especially for you (bur others can have a look too, ^_^) two Then and Nows from Venlo. Hopefully they can aid the decompressing.

Unfortunately I have no background info on the first one. The houses in the background are more or less the same today. The GI's appear to be wearing shirts and no coats. This suggests that temperatures were already climbing so this shot may probably have been taken later in 1945 (Venlo was liberated on march the first 1945)

post-169612-0-61654800-1540309556_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-44729900-1540309641_thumb.jpg

Rene

And here's number 2. The location of the Then shot suggests this one is taken on the day of liberation. It's the route the 784th Tank Bn took upon entering Venlo. I'm wondering about the 'number plate' on the car. Does anyone have a clue about what it could indicate?

In the Now shot trees substantially obscure the buildings in the background but if you take a close look you can recognize some of the features.

post-169612-0-16662100-1540310078_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-58784900-1540310095_thumb.jpg

Rene

Polish forces in the UK WWII . . . . . . . . . .

Last week I had a few days in London visiting friends and looking at museums.

We visited the Polish Institute museum in Princes Gate, South Kensington, it is a few doors away from the Iranian Embassy so famously raided by the SAS in 1980. What I don't recall being mentioned during the highly televised commentary on this Embassy raid is that at some period the future US president JFK lived next door in the building to the left, according to a plaque on the building.

Shown below is the Iranian embassy with a two man British police guard on the front door, which has been in operation since the 1980 hostage taking at the embassy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 20 2018.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ken

I didn't know about this museum, and shall certainly look it up on my next visit to London. Fascinating, and some terrific exhibits! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers Graham

General Apathy

I never was much into gin drinks until I had a gin & tonic when Douglas Adams passed away in his honor. I actually liked it. Strange, the bartender didn't know how to make a pan-galactic gargle blaster.

Hi Mikie, normally Gin is drunk with tonic water, I have now found a tonic water with Elderflower flavor, this is really nice. I don't use ice as this waters the gin down, I instead keep the glasses in the fridge to chill the glass.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 26 2018.

General Apathy

Just imagine what those poor things went through the year before the picture was taken. War surely is hell.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, there are numerous photos of small French children being walked past death and destruction in 1944.

General Apathy

Last Sunday a Dutch group remembering the 104th ID organised walking and cycling tours in Southern Holland, region liberated by the Timberwolves....

Two of us took our WW2 Army bicycles and had a great ride on this 'SUN'day..

My 1942 original paint Huffman...

Hi Johan, thanks for adding posts showing an event in Holland, nice to see the Huffman on the forum again, and the very unusual and nice GMC.

General Apathy

like it

+ One . . . . . . . . . . And possibly several other members

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, especially for you (bur others can have a look too, ^_^) two Then and Nows from Venlo. Hopefully they can aid the decompressing.

Unfortunately I have no background info on the first one. The houses in the background are more or less the same today. The GI's appear to be wearing shirts and no coats. This suggests that temperatures were already climbing so this shot may probably have been taken later in 1945 (Venlo was liberated on march the first 1945)

attachicon.gifParade.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_5834 (2)a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, great comparisons again, nice to sit and compare the building features, lets hope Mikie is chilling out reading the forum

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent 30 2018.

General Apathy

Hi Ken

I didn't know about this museum, and shall certainly look it up on my next visit to London. Fascinating, and some terrific exhibits! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, yes I really recommend it and will be returning there next time I am in London.

This is a wall display of a few of the weapons they have on display there, below the weapons is a shelf of eleven hand-made and hand engraved cigarette cases belonging to members of the Polish free army in London and serving alongside and with the British forces.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, October 30 2018

post-344-0-97323000-1540854990.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Lee, I hope that you catch up with this post, several years ago you had a topic about PSP planking for airfields, your question related to whether the planks were painted, plated or oiled. We also had a few posts here about it as well.

This is a photograph of a quantity of unused surplus PSP and it appears that it is covered with a chemical or heated oil based rust preventative, ( not certain at this moment for the technical term for this covering ) maybe someone else will know what this covering is.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 30 2018.

post-344-0-64850100-1540904847.jpg

General Apathy

Telephone call today . . . . . .

I just received a telephone call from a friend stating that the word going around today is that a Hawkins mine or more than one has been dug up in Ste Mere Eglise, supposedly by the museum in the town centre.

I will try and find out more about this as the day goes on and report back here.

Telephone call today . . . . . .

I just received a telephone call from a friend stating that the word going around today is that a Hawkins mine or more than one has been dug up in Ste Mere Eglise, supposedly by the museum in the town centre.

I will try and find out more about this as the day goes on and report back here.

Wow! Please keep us posted about this. In the mean time, watch your step.

Mikie

General Apathy

Wow! Please keep us posted about this. In the mean time, watch your step.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, here's a shot of some of today's finds, the remains of a yellow life preserver, including pieces of the dye-marker packet, a Garand scabbard, pieces of camouflage parachute, shroud lines and buckles etc.

A video report can be seen on the museum Facebook page.

.post-344-0-73477200-1540937910.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . Ste Com du Mont.

well more than 500 hits on the original items dug up in the museum grounds, seen for the first time in seventy-five years and no comments, strange that.

So heres a wartime shot of German prisoners being marched in the direction of Ste Com du Mont, there is great supposition as to why the lead person is dressed in civilian clothes.

It has taken some time to try and make a comparison of this shot as the trees and bushes along the roadside have grown to totally obscure the house from the road. Yesterday as I was passing I spotted the maintenance gardener on the drive so I found this shot and asked if I could enter the garden at the rear of the house to make a comparison shot, the house is a summer residence only.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 01 2018.

.post-344-0-47351900-1541065444_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . Ste Com du Mont.

It has taken some time to try and make a comparison of this shot as the trees and bushes along the roadside have grown to totally obscure the house from the road. Yesterday as I was passing I spotted the maintenance gardener on the drive so I found this shot and asked if I could enter the garden at the rear of the house to make a comparison shot, the house is a summer residence only.

From the rear of the house its evident that it has been substantially extended at both sides and along the front on the left side. On the opposite side of the house the windows in the roof line are still the same as in the wartime photograph, whereas on this side they have been altered along with all the extensions

post-344-0-31617900-1541065825_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

An early Christmas gift arrived today . . . . . . . . . .

My first Christmas card and accompanied with a bottle of Gin arrived today . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-41233000-1541068172_thumb.jpg