Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Keep'on Jeeping... Took the freshly restored Willys MB out for a testdrive last Saturday... All good....

Hi Johan, where do these MINT Jeeps keep materializing from, are you unpacking them from crates.

Another nice example saved again for the future we hope.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 16 2018.

Hi Johan, where do these MINT Jeeps keep materializing from, are you unpacking them from crates.

Another nice example saved again for the future we hope.

Seems Johan has a "jeep" shoe box... :huh::lol:

Hello everyone, I'm glad that the Spitfire clip did go down well...…..

A while ago I did post a Then and Now of the Ortskommandantur in Venlo (post 12391, page 496). Recently I came across another picture showing another location where they 'set up camp' during the war. You can regcognize the same sign as in post 12391. The building as well as the tree in front of it did both survive.

attachicon.gifOrtskommadantur 2 Villapark a.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_5739a.jpg

Rene

Great photos Rene..love the architecture

General Apathy

Keep'on Jeeping... Took the freshly restored Willys MB out for a testdrive last Saturday... All good....

Hi Johan, I was laughing at the photo of your restoration and making comments here on the forum, ALL my life I learnt and spoke English and referred to the ' the black cat ' now I live in France and still trying to learn French and turn my head around to having to think, speak and write about the ' the cat that is black '

So I was laughing at your ' Jeep that is green ' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Low flying spitfire, part 2.

Not so long ago Ken posted a clip showing mister Ray Hanna flying a Spitfire a bit low......here is another clip showing mister Hanna's excellent flying skills. I can watch this time after time... I hope this link works. And if it works you might wamt to amp up the volume for that gorgeous Merlin sound....

Rene

Hi Rene, I passed onto an English friend the link that you posted of the Spitfire as he is very interested in aircraft especially WWII ones. He believes that this clip is from a film called ' Piece of Cake ' , so far I have never seen this film and intend to try and remedy that shortly if I can find a copy.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now Ste Mere Eglise 1946 . . . . . . . . . . . .

A line of schoolchildren from the village walking in the direction of the town hall carrying flowers for the 1946 commemoration. I would like to think that a number of these children may well still be alive and remember this event as they were so young at the time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10 2018.

post-344-0-36726700-1539671872.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now Ste Mere Eglise 1946 . . . . . . . . . . . .

The same street scene relating to the image of the school-children attending the flower laying ceremony. The old warehouse on the right in the original photo has long since gone, I never recall seeing it in all the years that I have visited the town. However the garage with the high pitched roof remains and can be compared in both photographs. The building seen on the left of the street is the restaurant named post-war after John Steel who's parachute became tangled up in the spire of the church.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10 2018.

post-344-0-27688500-1539672388_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ron, it IS nice knowing that someone enjoys the images and the effort involved in finding images and making comparisons. There are a lot of forums on the internet and they are just pages and pages of imageless and mirtless dialogue I do enjoy the fun we have here and the interaction that goes on.

It's very encouraging when I hear of someone finding this blog and becomes interested enough to start at the beginning and reads eleven years of posts to catch up. I also hope that there is enough detail amongst the stupidity that anyone can come to Normandy and find many of the locations during their trip. I often check over the pages and see how many downloads are taken of the images.

The 'then and now' photos are always enjoyed and appreciated Ken, especially with your local and wartime knowledge of the actions there. Keep 'em coming please!

Cheers, Graham

Hi Rene, I passed onto an English friend the link that you posted of the Spitfire as he is very interested in aircraft especially WWII ones. He believes that this clip is from a film called ' Piece of Cake ' , so far I have never seen this film and intend to try and remedy that shortly if I can find a copy.

Hi Ken, your friend is correct about the film. I believe it is from the 80's or there abouts. Maybe I should have mentioned it. It is my understanding that the actual flying was done by mister Hanna.

Rene

Thanks Ron, it IS nice knowing that someone enjoys the images and the effort involved in finding images and making comparisons. There are a lot of forums on the internet and they are just pages and pages of imageless and mirtless dialogue I do enjoy the fun we have here and the interaction that goes on.

It's very encouraging when I hear of someone finding this blog and becomes interested enough to start at the beginning and reads eleven years of posts to catch up. I also hope that there is enough detail amongst the stupidity that anyone can come to Normandy and find many of the locations during their trip. I often check over the pages and see how many downloads are taken of the images.

Couldn't agree more, Ken. Often enough in find myself rereading several posts. I also love the so called stupidity and try to participate as best as I can (for a non native speaker, that is). It's the mix of everything that's going on here that appeals to me. Long may it continue :excl::)

Rene

Great 'squeaky clean' Jeep, Johan. I assume this shot must have been taken before the testdrive because even the tires show no dirt on them, hahaha.

Rene

As a late bloomer here I can testify to what an adventure it is to play catchup from post #1.

We seem to have hit a rich vein of T&B's lately and I'm loving it. Both of your attention to details is amazing.

Johan has stumbled on a warehouse full of crates jeeps? Maybe I should have ordered one 40 years ago. It's just taking a loooooong time for the deliveries.

Mikie

General Apathy

The 'then and now' photos are always enjoyed and appreciated Ken, especially with your local and wartime knowledge of the actions there. Keep 'em coming please!

Cheers, Graham

Hi Graham, thanks it's encouraging to hear the posts are enjoyed. I think I might be right in saying that in the last twenty four hour period there have been roughly a thousand hits on the blog, possibly the fastest turn over of numbers I can recall in one day.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2018.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, your friend is correct about the film. I believe it is from the 80's or there abouts. Maybe I should have mentioned it. It is my understanding that the actual flying was done by mister Hanna.

Rene

Hi Rene, I think I may have been wrong to call it a film, I believe it was in fact a six part television series, however it may be available on DVD or streaming . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Couldn't agree more, Ken. Often enough in find myself rereading several posts. I also love the so called stupidity and try to participate as best as I can (for a non native speaker, that is). It's the mix of everything that's going on here that appeals to me. Long may it continue :excl::)

Rene

Hi Rene, well as English is not your first language I find that it is almost impossible to see this when you post here, your grasp of the English humor and use of comedic phrases is fantastic, you could be mistaken for an ex-pat, hahahaaaaa

Life can be very serious and it is fun to exchange thoughts and ideas and photos here, I feel it has been the perfect forum for it. ( hey Mikie another pun ). I have always enjoyed seeing where some of the posts meander and twist and come out in the end.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2018,

General Apathy

As a late bloomer here I can testify to what an adventure it is to play catchup from post #1.

We seem to have hit a rich vein of T&B's lately and I'm loving it. Both of your attention to details is amazing.

Johan has stumbled on a warehouse full of crates jeeps? Maybe I should have ordered one 40 years ago. It's just taking a loooooong time for the deliveries.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I suppose I could use that well known phrase ' If I knew then what I know now ' I would have hung onto all the Jeeps that I bought when I was younger and so cheap back then in hindsight.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2018,

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now 1946 Ste Mere Eglise . . . . . . . . . . .

Another shot from the 1946 commemorative parade, members of the 82nd Division outside the town hall.

.post-344-0-36503800-1539758677.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now 1946 Ste Mere Eglise . . . . . . . . . . .

The same spot that members of the 82nd Division stood in back in 1946 outside the town hall.

.post-344-0-09962000-1539758891_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

What are the days in that last photo? Neither look familiar.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, apologies I don't quite understand your question ' what are the days ' and what doesn't look familiar to you ?

Part of my not understanding is I am just climbing into bed at 02.45 am after being out with a number of friends for a meal and returning to a friends house having a three hour philosophical debate with his wife about male and female relationships whilst slowly sipping eight or ten gin and tonics.

Is your question as you typed it or did predictive text change any of the wording.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 19 2018.

Hi Mikie, apologies I don't quite understand your question ' what are the days ' and what doesn't look familiar to you ?

Part of my not understanding is I am just climbing into bed at 02.45 am after being out with a number of friends for a meal and returning to a friends house having a three hour philosophical debate with his wife about male and female relationships whilst slowly sipping eight or ten gin and tonics.

Is your question as you typed it or did predictive text change any of the wording.

To quote Homer Simpson... "Doh!"

I'm sure I typed in the word "flags". Damn you hyperactive spell checker! And you too stupid wrist brace!

My apologies if I inadvertently disrupted your recovery efforts.

Mikie

Hi Ken, I'm wondering about the influence of the G&T's on the progression of that debate ^_^.

Rene