Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

I waited until today and I could take my Jeep to place in the shot, downside of visiting today was that the sunshine placed the Jeep in shadow and not really visible.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2018.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yep! Nailed it! Again!

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, you know your Jeeps . . . . . . . . . . . . but what make is the bicycle . . . . . . . hahahaaaaaaa.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2018.

Easy, that's a 1930s Peugeot... hahahaha

Low flying spitfire, part 2.

Not so long ago Ken posted a clip showing mister Ray Hanna flying a Spitfire a bit low...…...here is another clip showing mister Hanna's excellent flying skills. I can watch this time after time...…… I hope this link works. And if it works you might wamt to amp up the volume for that gorgeous Merlin sound...….

Rene

General Apathy

Yep! Nailed it! Again!

Mikie

Thanks Mikie, I can but try . . . . . . . . ..

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 13 2018.

General Apathy

Easy, that's a 1930s Peugeot... hahahaha

Hi Johan, is there some leg pulling going on with that identification . . . . . . . Possibly a safe bet though.

General Apathy

Low flying spitfire, part 2.

Not so long ago Ken posted a clip showing mister Ray Hanna flying a Spitfire a bit low......here is another clip showing mister Hanna's excellent flying skills. I can watch this time after time... I hope this link works. And if it works you might wamt to amp up the volume for that gorgeous Merlin sound....

Rene

Hi Rene, beautiful find, lovely roar of the Merlin . . . . . . . . . Perhaps I should get a copy of that roar and play it through loudspeakers on the Jeep when I accelerate.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now commemoration parade June 1946 . . . . . . . . .

Parade passing the town hall in Ste Mere Eglise 1946, the centre part of the building was the town hall the justice department was situated in the left side wing and the post off in the right wing. The temporary building on the left of the town hall was a post war addition, however I have no idea how long it was in use, it is not there now, it's parking bays.

.post-344-0-49903900-1539467588.jpg

General Apathy

The town hall in Ste Mere Eglise 2018, the whole building is now used solely by the town hall, the justice department and Post Office moved out to separate buildings post war.

.post-344-0-52330900-1539467911_thumb.jpg

Hi Rene, beautiful find, lovely roar of the Merlin . . . . . . . . . Perhaps I should get a copy of that roar and play it through loudspeakers on the Jeep when I accelerate.

Oh that would be funny!

I'm going to try to make it my ringtone.

Mikie

General Apathy

I always appreciate your work on the then and now pictures. Please keep them coming. Also liked the Spitfire video.

Hi Sundance, many thanks for letting me know that you enjoy the Then & Now images, I shall be posting another one in a few minutes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 14 2018.

General Apathy

Rene, neat clip of that Spitfire. Thanks for posting.

Terry

Hi Terry, yes I agree with you, a nice find and enjoyable post by Rene.

General Apathy

Oh that would be funny!

I'm going to try to make it my ringtone.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, as long as you only use the roar of the Merlin and no cannon fire at the end of the roar.

General Apathy

Normandy Ten & Now commemoration parade 1946 . . . . .

This is a shot facing across the road from Ste Mere Eglise town hall. Dick Winters of 506th E Company fame landed several hundred yards behind these building and came along the pathway between the two buildings, he then crossed the road and used the route to the left side of the town hall avoiding the town square. From here he walked through the night gathering up stragglers and eventually attacking the guns at Brecourt Manor.

.post-344-0-14632500-1539505232.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Ten & Now commemoration parade 1946 . . . . .

A comparison shot taken this week October 2018 facing across the road from Ste Mere Eglise town hall. The building on the right remains the same as during WWII, the warehouse on the left has been replaced with housing. Dick Winters of 506th E Company fame landed several hundred yards behind these two buildings and came along the pathway between them.

Apologies the sunlight was was facing towards the camera.

.post-344-0-24446900-1539505474_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm glad that the Spitfire clip did go down well...…..

A while ago I did post a Then and Now of the Ortskommandantur in Venlo (post 12391, page 496). Recently I came across another picture showing another location where they 'set up camp' during the war. You can regcognize the same sign as in post 12391. The building as well as the tree in front of it did both survive.

post-169612-0-53343000-1539523989_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-02579700-1539524009_thumb.jpg

Rene

Now that would be something…………….everyone would probably looking at the sky as you come barreling along in your Jeep...….. not knowing what hit them :D

Rene

Parade passing the town hall in Ste Mere Eglise 1946, the centre part of the building was the town hall the justice department was situated in the left side wing and the post off in the right wing. The temporary building on the left of the town hall was a post war addition, however I have no idea how long it was in use, it is not there now, it's parking bays.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Always great to see the then and now photos from both Ken and Rene.

In this photo of the town hall on commemoration day is that tall object one of the gasoline pumps on the steet?

General Apathy

Now that would be something.everyone would probably looking at the sky as you come barreling along in your Jeep..... not knowing what hit them :D

Rene

post-344-0-07370800-1539537697.jpg

General Apathy

Always great to see the then and now photos from both Ken and Rene.

In this photo of the town hall on commemoration day is that tall object one of the gasoline pumps on the steet?

Hi Ron, yes that's a gasoline pump, it is possible to see the ESSO logo on the top of it.

General Apathy

Thanks Ken

Again great work.Thanks for all you do.

Thanks Ron, it IS nice knowing that someone enjoys the images and the effort involved in finding images and making comparisons. There are a lot of forums on the internet and they are just pages and pages of imageless and mirtless dialogue I do enjoy the fun we have here and the interaction that goes on.

It's very encouraging when I hear of someone finding this blog and becomes interested enough to start at the beginning and reads eleven years of posts to catch up. I also hope that there is enough detail amongst the stupidity that anyone can come to Normandy and find many of the locations during their trip. I often check over the pages and see how many downloads are taken of the images.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 16 2018.