Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

I would have used the WOOD as a fire place sill.

Hi Owen, thats something that I would have to think about, what would do with it . . . . . . . . . . if I had it.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10. 2018.

General Apathy

That has me curious. How often does the jeep require roadside repairs? Just wondering how much maintenence it takes to keep a 75 year old vehicle actively running.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, difficult to answer that with any finality to the answer, as with a similar question asked on many subjects ' how long is a piece of string ', I can only say and most Jeep Jocks will agree with me, every Jeep is different, drive differently and performs differently. How many miles a year does each Jeep do, how much regular servicing does each owner do, how many seventy year old parts are on the vehicle, how many cheaply made reproduction parts are on a Jeep. An indicator on that is distributor points, lots of Jeep friends are very critical of the quality of some of the points available sometimes you can try two or three sets of brand new points out the manufacturers boxes and they don't seem to work as well as you want them to, some break down quite quickly.

Ever since I owned the Jeep I have run with the philosophy instilled in me at mountain climbing school, to be self sufficient and carry all you need for survival, hence ever since I have owned the Jeep I have carried replacement parts for the Jeep to survive and get home.

Back in 1973 my first trip to Normandy myself and a friend in my Jeep spent several days visiting the museums at Utah beach, Ste Mere Eglise and one at Omaha beach. After four days and having seen all there was to be seen in the area at that time we wondered what further there was to be done. So we looked at a map and I spotted the name of Bastogne in the Ardennes, and after breakfast we set out for Bastogne 650 Kilometres and at that time in a thirty year old Jeep.. In the mid seventies there was a need to be self sufficient as there were no Jeep suppliers or dealers on route so there was a necessity to be able to handle anything that happened.

Having said all that I don't think in the last three years I have had to use any of the spares carried in the ammo box on the vehicle, yes I have had to replace points and condenser, and the Bendix on the starter motor but all these were done at home in the garden, not while on the road.

The laugh we had when boarding the ferry in 1973 was the sneering look aimed at us by the Jaguar owner who parked next to my dirty Jeep on the ferry, he and his wife climbed out of the Jaguar immaculately dressed along with the two young daughters in boarding school uniform and woven straw ' boater 'hats with school colored ribbon around them. Anyway the boot was on the other foot when it came to leaving the ferry and his Jaguar wouldn't start, embarrassingly holding up all of the vehicles parked behind him, it was evidenced on his face that he was not greatly amused when alongside him my mud covered Jeep started with first push of the starter. c'est la vie.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10. 2018.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . .

This morning I opened my emails and received an email from Ian ( former forum member Sabrejet ), he sent a photograph with the following text . . . . . . .

" Ken, Not much to go on, I know! It's a bit of a long-shot, but I know you have a good eye for such details. It's definitely somewhere in your part of Normandy. Ian "

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 11 2018.

.post-344-0-35385200-1539258122_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

This morning I opened my emails and received an email from Ian ( former forum member Sabrejet ), he sent a photograph and the question did I know where it was . . . . . . . . .

Hi Ian how's this. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-12070900-1539258485.jpg

General Apathy

That would have been a good idea. My question is: what happened to the piece they chopped off?

Hi Bugme, a friend visiting last week laughed when he suggested digging a deep hole at the side of the remaining stump and then leaning on it and taking photographs.

Norman D. Landing,Forum Normandy correspondent, October 11 2018.

.post-344-0-70718800-1539260205.jpg

This morning I opened my emails and received an email from Ian ( former forum member Sabrejet ), he sent a photograph and the question did I know where it was . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I don't believe it. How do you do that. Can we have a meeting so you can make it possible I can speak to my late grandfather. You have supernatual powers

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mama Mia! Too easy for you! What was it, right outside your driveway?

This morning I opened my emails and received an email from Ian ( former forum member Sabrejet ), he sent a photograph with the following text . . . . . . .

" Ken, Not much to go on, I know! It's a bit of a long-shot, but I know you have a good eye for such details. It's definitely somewhere in your part of Normandy. Ian "

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that cylindrical object in the middle of the sidewalk in front of those civilians?

General Apathy

I don't believe it. How do you do that. Can we have a meeting so you can make it possible I can speak to my late grandfather. You have supernatual powers

Hi Robert we all wish we could do that, sadly wasted all the time that I could have spent with my parents, I do however try to keep in touch with my daughter as much as I can, lots of friends mention the closeness they see between my daughter and myself., but its still never enough time together for me.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, October 11 2018.

General Apathy

Mama Mia! Too easy for you! What was it, right outside your driveway?

Hi Mike, it does seem easy enough for me as long as the buildings are in the public view, more difficult if within a courtyard or farm area. I think this might be a courtyard or farmyard shot but i.m on the case, its still somewhere I would like to find even though it is only a window.

post-344-0-11316800-1539280255_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that cylindrical object in the middle of the sidewalk in front of those civilians?

Hi mike, I believe they are gasoline pumps . . . . . . . . . they tended to be just a solitary pump on a sidewalk in those days, gas stations with forecourts were a thing of the future . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Simply amazing Ken!

General Apathy

Simply amazing Ken!

Hi Beast, thanks, I have another image lined up for a comparison shot tomorrow, if its not raining too hard then I will want to use the Jeep in the comparison shot.

so many images and so little time . . . . . . . . . . Damn, I recall the days when it was so many women and so little time. ?

Johan Willaert

Hi Mike, it does seem easy enough for me as long as the buildings are in the public view, more difficult if within a courtyard or farm area. I think this might be a courtyard or farmyard shot but i.m on the case, its still somewhere I would like to find even though it is only a window.

attachicon.gif 1539244076274blob.jpg

The Lecaudey farm at Hiesville which served as Taylor's HQ might be a good,spot to.start your search...

General Apathy

The farm at Hiesville which served as Taylor's HQ might be a good,spot to.start your search...

Hi Johan, thanks, thats an idea, will check that out when I have time, as you know its not somewhere that anyone would regularly drive past.

Norman D. Landing,Forum Normandy correspondent, October 11 2018.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

Another shot I received from ' Sabrejet ' asking if I knew the location, I especially waited until I could visit the location and I could take my Jeep to place in the shot.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2018.

.post-344-0-50880100-1539344078_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

I waited until today and I could take my Jeep to place in the shot, downside of visiting today was that the sunshine placed the Jeep in shadow and not really visible.

.post-344-0-84306000-1539344234.jpg

Hi Rene, yes its actually a 1950s British ammo box, I chose a 1950s one as I needed to drill some holes in it for mounting in the Jeep and also for fixing a padlock to it. I keep a range of Jeeps spares in the box so outside of a major breakdown I should be able to get home every time, clutch plate, carburettor repair kit, plugs, points, rubber hoses, petrol pump repair kit, spare bulbs, fan-belt, spare head gasket and other gaskets, spare bolts of various sizes, spare oil lines, and various other parts . . . . . . . . .

I can replace a clutch plate ( if necessary ) at the side of a road or in a field dropping the gearbox and transfer box out from underneath, fitting the plate and refitting the gearbox and transfer together, I have a workable procedure for doing this.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10 2018.

Thanks for clearing that up, Ken. That's a substantial amount of spare parts. It's great that you can do the repairs yourself. In some modern cars today it is even impossible to change a light bulb.

Rene

I waited until today and I could take my Jeep to place in the shot, downside of visiting today was that the sunshine placed the Jeep in shadow and not really visible.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ken, you are on a roll again on the Then and Now front. Great comparisons.

Yes, the Jeep is a bit 'shadowed' ( but I can still see that ammo-box, haha)

Rene

General Apathy

Thanks for clearing that up, Ken. That's a substantial amount of spare parts. It's great that you can do the repairs yourself. In some modern cars today it is even impossible to change a light bulb.

Rene

Hi Rene, as the Boy Scout Moto states ' Be Prepared ' . . . . . . . . . . Thats why I always carry two Boy Scouts in the rear of the jeep, I can rub them together to start a fire . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing,Forum Normandy correspondent, October 12 2018.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, you are on a roll again on the Then and Now front. Great comparisons.

Yes, the Jeep is a bit 'shadowed' ( but I can still see that ammo-box, haha)

Rene

Hi Rene, its great to be on a roll, I think I also have the location for this shot. Sadly however I heard today that the owner may have recently died, I would need access to the garden to get a comparison shot as the hedgerows at the side of the road are now too high and think to capture the shot from the road.

.post-344-0-26071000-1539371049_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Perfect T&Ns.... Even the jeeps are GPWs in both pictures.... ;-)

Hi Johan, you know your Jeeps . . . . . . . . . . . . but what make is the bicycle . . . . . . . hahahaaaaaaa.

General Apathy

Todays laugh . . . . . . . . . .

this afternoon I dropped in for coffee at a local Jeep Jocks house, his wife had bought him this original wartime advert.

I started laughing and they both wanted to know my reason for laughing, to which I said to Mike ' when we first met what were my first words to you ' he said he couldn't remember, I then repeated the scene for him and he recalled the incident.

During one of my daily cycling exercises I had stopped in a small village for a comfort stop, around the corner came a Jeep but not really performing very well and the driver pulled up fairly close to me looking perplexed, and I said to him ' It will run better if you inflated the tires correctly ', that was about five years ago and we have been friends since.

post-344-0-80206500-1539372651.jpeg

Todays laugh . . . . . . . . . .

this afternoon I dropped in for coffee at a local Jeep Jocks house, his wife had bought him this original wartime advert.

I started laughing and they both wanted to know my reason for laughing, to which I said to Mike ' when we first met what were my first words to you ' he said he couldn't remember, I then repeated the scene for him and he recalled the incident.

During one of my daily cycling exercises I had stopped in a small village for a comfort stop, around the corner came a Jeep but not really performing very well and the driver pulled up fairly close to me looking perplexed, and I said to him ' It will run better if you inflated the tires correctly ', that was about five years ago and we have been friends since.

attachicon.gifIMG_2389.JPEG

Good advice! A few weeks ago I got new tires and an alignment for my Prius and instantly started getting a 5 MPG improvement!

Mikie