Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Fascinating...

Interesting that there are so few of them. I'll take a wild guess they were not an issue-item with that star. Otherwise there would be more of them around? If they were custom made for a specific unit, would they have been in a factory crate? If it was a factory crate? I'll keep my Watsonish eyes open for them!

Mikie

Hi Mike, sorry to say that I can't recall any details of the crate they were packed in, at the time I was just ecstatic at the find, we found so much stuff that day that we had to leave it piled up on the floor overnight and hire a U-Haul trailer the next day. I struggled to sleep that night back in the hotel room, having found them I didn't want them disappearing before we got them packed in the trailer the next morning.

I had two and my friend Tom I was working with had the other eight, so somewhere in the States there are eight more of these in collections.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 20 2018.

General Apathy

f23cafdf59acf65a4cfcc046ac7290e8.jpg

Here’s a horseshoe I found an a distant English field in the opening tank battle while filming Fury.

I brought it home to Los Angeles and now lives in my kitchen.

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, its always interesting hanging onto little memories of places and events we took part in or visited, nice image yo put together.

While working on Saving Private Ryan I supplied from my stocks an original new old stock O.D. plastic trench mirror used most famously by Tom Hanks while on the beach looking around the side of a bunker.

.post-344-0-13788900-1537430237_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Memories . . . . . . . . .

While working on Saving Private Ryan I supplied from my stocks an original new old stock O.D. plastic trench mirror used most famously by Tom Hanks while on the beach looking around the side of a bunker.

and heres the other piece I saved from that scene fixing the mirror to the bayonet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-344-0-30289700-1537430549_thumb.jpg

.post-344-0-35080300-1537430515_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

2da6a79130c2dd3d65c084ebe75346bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, love all your enamelled signs, thanks for showing them, I have a few myself but its difficult to find any interesting ones at flea markets in Normandy.

General Apathy

This is a picture from a post here on the forum

post-342-0-48695600-1458454393.jpg

Hi Ron, great first pattern jacket, nice that you pulled up a shot of it and hope that you manage to find it again.

Theres a number of pieces that I didn't find when sorting stuff I sold at my last auction, hope they come to light,

its taken ten years for my American wall phone to reappear, but found more by luck than actually looking for it.

.post-344-0-45178600-1537432108.jpg

Hi Mike, sorry to say that I can't recall any details of the crate they were packed in, at the time I was just ecstatic at the find, we found so much stuff that day that we had to leave it piled up on the floor overnight and hire a U-Haul trailer the next day. I struggled to sleep that night back in the hotel room, having found them I didn't want them disappearing before we got them packed in the trailer the next morning.

I had two and my friend Tom I was working with had the other eight, so somewhere in the States there are eight more of these in collections.

While poking around I came upon these old threads right here on the forum. So we kind of know what these helmets are. But the question remains, what the heck does the yellow star mean???

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/152603-usaaf-aircrew-headgear-c44-featuring-m4a2-flak-helmet/

Mikie

Memories . . . . . . . . .

and heres the other piece I saved from that scene fixing the mirror to the bayonet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .attachicon.gifsmileyfaceemoji1508a.jpg

.attachicon.gifIMG_1720.JPG

Is that authentic New/Old stock as well?

What else of yours we should look out for next time we see the movie?

Mikie

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sadly I didn't photograph everything I sold to the film. This shot is part of the new old stock original items I sold to the film for the winter scenes in Foy and the Ardennes, also for the winter scenes I sold them 600 sets of Norwegian army copies of the M43 jackets and trousers, along with enough original M43s for the lead actors.

( shown in the photo are grey winter socks, summer o.d. socks, trouser suspenders, o.d winter underwear )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 20 2018

.post-344-0-99044800-1537466402_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sadly I didn't photograph everything I sold to the film. This is additional new old stock shoepacs they requested to ensure enough quantity for all the extras required to be seen wearing them.

.post-344-0-01527100-1537466972.jpg

General Apathy

I sure would have liked to known you when you were running your surplus store but my bank account wouln't have survived

Hi Robert, well you answered your own comment, your bank account wouldn't have survived, lucky escape methinks.

' Go ahead buy what you want the wife phoned and said the bank account is open '

General Apathy

Thats good movie money right there !

Thanks Owen, heres another memory, I supplied two original ' M-41 ' field jackets for Bruce Willis in Hart's War, sadly as a lot of the scenes of the movie were a winter scenario then they changed their minds and dressed him in a tankers jacket. Apologies I felt I should blank off the prices with coins, for confidentiality of what the company paid for them.

the wrist band across the centre I wore to the party that Willis threw for the cast and crew, a fantastic evening where he had funded it completely, hotel ballroom, along with endless supplies of food and drinks. . . . . . a very nice gesture.

after filming I supplied him directly with a number of WWII USMC pieces which he wished to give to one of his friends as a birthday gift.

.post-344-0-93759100-1537476276_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday I traveled the road less traveled ( from poem by Robert Frost ), as I came into a village on the route a wartime photograph came into mind of a small building with a sloping roof so I turned back and made a shot of the building and compared it when I arrived home.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 22 2018.

.post-344-0-70771700-1537600911_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Yesterday I traveled the road less traveled as I came into a village on route a wartime photograph came into mind of a small building with a sloping roof so I turned back and made a shot of the building and compared it when I arrived home.

The village is Saint-Marcouf, the footpath to the right of the building has now become a black-top road.

.post-344-0-87349600-1537601185_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Help wanted if possible . . . . . . . .

a friends wife has just contacted me trying to trace more details about one of her uncles that served in the US Forces during WWII.

Part of the family emigrated to America at the turn of the century from Ireland. Two sons were born and one Charles Wilson Fegan was commissioned as a Lieutenant into the USAAF April 1st 1942. He was killed in action near Athens, Greece October 5th 1943.

thanks in anticipation.

Yesterday I traveled the road less traveled as I came into a village on route a wartime photograph came into mind of a small building with a sloping roof so I turned back and made a shot of the building and compared it when I arrived home.

The village is Saint-Marcouf, the footpath to the right of the building has now become a black-top road.

.attachicon.gifIMG_2268.JPG

great eye. how you came remember all those pictures???

General Apathy

great eye. how you came remember all those pictures???

Hi Robert, thanks for compliment on the images.

I have tried to explain before my capacity for remembering places, I think it all dates back to driving years ago before GPS was invented and memorising routes by buildings, bridges, stores, bars etc for the return journey home or for a following visit. At a meal last night the subject of telephone numbers came up, I can remember and dial all friends and family land-line phone numbers, however I don't attempt cell or mobile numbers as people change these more regularly and all the relevant numbers are in my cell-phone memory automatically..

Today myself and about five other friends in Jeeps met a bus of British veterans in Ste Mere Eglise, unfortunately it poured down with rain all day, thankfully for the vets and families all the Jeeps except mine had canvas tops on. I acted as lead and at several places stopped and explained the location through use of then and now shots. Hopefully I should have some photographs tomorrow.

General Apathy

Saturday 22nd September British veterans visit Ste Mere Eglise . . . . . . . . . .

as part of their Normandy beach-heads visit the bus of British veterans reached Ste Mere Eglise on Saturday, we met them with five Jeeps and a Dodge command car. Unfortunately it turned out to be possibly the wettest day of the year, the mid Atlantic storms reaching the coasts of the UK and our part of Normandy.

All the guys put their canvas covers on the vehicles to shelter the veterans ( I'm not a fan of canvas so drive screen down summer and winter ) I led the Jeeps and veterans to several locations around the town and with the aid of wartime shots explained the significance of the locations to the veterans and families. ( the veterans visits are charity funded and its all done on a no-profit basis, the vehicle owners donating their vehicles and a few hours honouring the veterans )

The location shown here is outside the town Hospice which was in operation during the week of June 6th and shared by both American and German medics. This is outside the town square and on the road leading to Cherbourg, the informational board behind me has photos and details of the Hospice during the invasion week.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 23rd 2018.

.post-344-0-29362200-1537689419.jpeg

Hi Ken, thanks for the Then and Now shot.

It is also great to see you and the other 'Jeep/Dodge jockeys' taking time to give these veterans the attention they deserve. Too bad the weather wasn't playing nice. Around here it's the same.

Rene

I see your getting the same wet weather as we are. That will teach you to get your top on. It's harvast time here but fields are to muddy. Just North of me they have had 7-8" of rain so I'm in a flood watch

General Apathy

Hi Ken, thanks for the Then and Now shot.

It is also great to see you and the other 'Jeep/Dodge jockeys' taking time to give these veterans the attention they deserve. Too bad the weather wasn't playing nice. Around here it's the same.

Rene

Hi Rene, its great meeting up with these veterans and hearing their stories, this is Les Collins who served in the 79th Div and was a crew member of one of Hobart's ' funnies ' as the British called them, several different designs built onto standard tanks for specific purposes .

Swimming tanks, flail mine clearing tanks, fascine carrying tanks for ditch crossing, flame throwing tanks, and others. Les Collins operated as crewman in a Petard tank firing a 290mm mortar bomb against German bunkers and defences. A short video clip is attached showing the ' dustbin ' in action.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 23 2018.

.post-344-0-75157700-1537713735.jpeg

General Apathy

I see your getting the same wet weather as we are. That will teach you to get your top on. It's harvast time here but fields are to muddy. Just North of me they have had 7-8" of rain so I'm in a flood watch

Hi Robert, I figure whats a little rain for one day for the chance to meet these veterans, they spent many days, weeks and months fighting and living in rainy and muddy conditions. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 23 2018.

.post-344-0-64370000-1537714203.jpeg

General Apathy

Heres one of the Jeep jockeys with a veteran in his Jeep between the monuments leading into Ste Mere from the Cherbourg direction, a great pity that ninety percent of visitors to the town never see these monuments as they are on the outskirts of the town and not in the town square.

.post-344-0-18197900-1537714543.jpeg

General Apathy

Moments of fun between the downpours of rain . . . . . . . . . . .

a shot of the ' Abbey Road ' Jeep jockeys walking across the crossing in Ste Mere . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-33815100-1537714812.jpeg