Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

8ebd2bed724b54b482ace02de899ad71.jpg

No doubt the 51 parka is a work of art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, that's a great looking parka you have, I do have one similar, and I did buy several extra wolfs fur model hoods just for the thickness of the fur, and because I disliked the synthetic fur later parkas had. The one I wore during the late sixties as a MOD was the really early model of parka with attached hood and no fur as can be seen in the attached photo.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 25 2018.

. post-344-0-75808900-1532514130_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

And what did you do in the war, Daddy ? ? . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Not everyone who fought in WWII was a paratrooper, Marine, pilot or hit the beaches in the first wave . . .

I have always enjoyed the unusual units, the non-standard clothing and equipment, the experimental and the adapted items and such.

So it was great fun for me to find this image last week, three British soldiers straightening out and restoring PSP planks to usable condition. Note the heavy-weight wooden mallet next to the soldier on the right of the photo. Also the serviceman bending over in the middle can be seen striking a plank with another heavy mallet.

.post-344-0-63184100-1532514902_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Just passing this idea on . . . . . . . . . .

If you have a drawer full of pens where the ink has dried out around the rotating ball, try a squirt of WD40, and then scribble the pen around on a scrap of paper until the ball starts to rotate again.

Worked for me with several pens . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 25 2018..

.post-344-0-56340600-1532515631_thumb.jpg

If you have a drawer full of pens where the ink has dried out around the rotating ball, try a squirt of WD40, and then scribble the pen around on a scrap of paper until the ball starts to rotate again.

Lightly heating the tip of the pen with a lighter works as well.

General Apathy

Lightly heating the tip of the pen with a lighter works as well.

Hi Bugme, good to have you on board again, I have to say you're ' hot on the ball there ' with your suggestion . . . . . . . . .

post-344-0-02489800-1532526863.jpg

Hi Bugme, good to have you on board again, I have to say you're ' hot on the ball there ' with your suggestion . . . . . . . . .

image.jpg

Well, I figured since I am now living in your time zone, I should probably stay connected. ;)

Not everyone who fought in WWII was a paratrooper, Marine, pilot or hit the beaches in the first wave . . .

I have always enjoyed the unusual units, the non-standard clothing and equipment, the experimental and the adapted items and such.

So it was great fun for me to find this image last week, three British soldiers straightening out and restoring PSP planks to usable condition. Note the heavy-weight wooden mallet next to the soldier on the right of the photo. Also the serviceman bending over in the middle can be seen striking a plank with another heavy mallet.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hope they had ear protectors.

The big mallets remind me of one of my favorite corporate logos. It's for the Western Exterminator Company. I always wanted one of the plastic figurines they used to have on their trucks.

post-2687-0-84078400-1532533683.jpg

post-2687-0-88097700-1532533699_thumb.jpg

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I wonder what they'd done to deserve such a job...……. they must be a hard hitting bunch……………...

Rene

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Awesome! Lessons on pen repair! This place has EVERYTHING!

Johan Willaert

.attachicon.gif image.jpg

Nice pens.... ?

General Apathy

Well, I figured since I am now living in your time zone, I should probably stay connected. ;)

Hi Bugme, back in the late eighties a bunch of us had a vacation in Malta. As it's an island and surrounded by water we saw a sign advertising scuba-diving so we thought we would give it a go, what could possibly go wrong, this would be safe I thought having dived into a school pool at eight years of age and knocking myself out on the bottom, and being rescued and lungs pumped out by the life guard.

So we paid our money and were led out to a battered old van with the oxygen tanks and flippers in, what was also in the van or should I say not in the van was half of the floor, rotted out I took it from the salt water running off the equipment after use. We were delivered to a beach and given the necessary items for diving, shown how to turn the tanks on and off being the only instructions and the van and driver then left leaving us to our own devices.

Four of us went into the water myself and Nick took a while to work out how to balance the weighted belt so we didn't keep turning upside down in the water, the other two friends didn't feel comfortable and went back to the beach. A couple of hours later the van returned and picked us up, we were asked if we enjoyed it and Nick and myself said we did. The driver said would we like to dive the following morning onto a WWII British destroyer bombed and sunk by German aircraft, we said that we should have time to do that as we were flying out in the afternoon after lunch.

Next morning we arrived at the dive shop ready to go, however ( thankfully ) the dive had been called off due to an unusual storm appearing overnight and the waves were too high and the currents too strong. So we had lunch and headed to the airport and flew home. Two weeks after arriving home I heard and also read a news report of a young lady being crippled for life through diving on the morning of flying, she contracted the bends due to the oxygen levels in her blood vessels when the plane reached flying altitude. We were naive of this and nothing had ever been said to us when we agreed to dive on the sunken destroyer, having said that we would be flying a few hours later.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26 2018.

General Apathy

Hope they had ear protectors.

The big mallets remind me of one of my favorite corporate logos. It's for the Western Exterminator Company. I always wanted one of the plastic figurines they used to have on their trucks.

Hi Mikie, thanks for the images never seen these before, almost Disneyesque in style.

General Apathy

I wonder what they'd done to deserve such a job.... they must be a hard hitting bunch...

Rene

Hi Rene, Many years ago I remember an old soldier regaling me with a story from his WWII experiences, however I can't recall the infractions which caused him to be placed in a punishment unit. He related that as part of this unit they were detailed to follow up with hessian sacks and clear a battle-site of bodies and body parts laying around. ? ? A true account or not I can't say.

General Apathy

I wonder what they'd done to deserve such a job.... they must be a hard hitting bunch...

Rene

Hi Rene, if they did this for the last two years of the war I can't see how it would aid their post war search for a job . . . . . . . . . . Perhaps panel beating in a car repair facility. . . . . . . Hahahaa

General Apathy

Awesome! Lessons on pen repair! This place has EVERYTHING!

Hi Mikie, it might have everything but I think some people just tune in thinking where the hell is this going today ? ?

General Apathy

Nice pens.... ?

Hahahaaaa Johan, only you would see that the pens have the same colors as the National flag of Belgium.

General Apathy

Two days ago the last of the WWII ATA female pilots died. . . . . . . . . . .

This week on Tuesday Mary Ellis the last female WWII Air Transport Auxiliary pilot died aged 101, during WWII she delivered 400 Spitfires from the factory to the front line airfields, in total she flew 76 different types of aircraft.

A necessary job fulfilled during WWII, a credit to a nation at war, and an inspiration for other females to join the Air Transport Auxilary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5993993/Last-Spitfire-girls-Mary-Ellis-dies-home-Isle-Wight-aged-101.html

Hi Rene, if they did this for the last two years of the war I can't see how it would aid their post war search for a job . . . . . . . . . . Perhaps panel beating in a car repair facility. . . . . . . Hahahaa

Well, I wouldn't trust them around my car with those mallets……………. ^_^

Rene

This week on Tuesday Mary Ellis the last female WWII Air Transport Auxiliary pilot died aged 101, during WWII she delivered 400 Spitfires from the factory to the front line airfields, in total she flew 76 different types of aircraft.

A necessary job fulfilled during WWII, a credit to a nation at war, and an inspiration for other females to join the Air Transport Auxilary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5993993/Last-Spitfire-girls-Mary-Ellis-dies-home-Isle-Wight-aged-101.html

What a great lady! Flying 400 Spitfires…..

Rene

Hi Rene, Many years ago I remember an old soldier regaling me with a story from his WWII experiences, however I can't recall the infractions which caused him to be placed in a punishment unit. He related that as part of this unit they were detailed to follow up with hessian sacks and clear a battle-site of bodies and body parts laying around. ? ? A true account or not I can't say.

Dad mentioned once or twice that he was busted down from corporal to private for a while. When asked what he did to get demoted, he'd say not telling with a slight smile. Whatever it was, must have been worth it. He did get his rank back after a while.

Less amusing was the time or two when he mentioned being on burial detail on Saipan and Okinawa. They used to pour shaving lotion on the face masks to cover the smell. If I remember right, it was Aqua Velva lotion, and he wouldn't go near the stuff 30 years later.

Mikie

Hi Bugme, back in the late eighties a bunch of us had a vacation in Malta. As it's an island and surrounded by water we saw a sign advertising scuba-diving so we thought we would give it a go, what could possibly go wrong, this would be safe I thought having dived into a school pool at eight years of age and knocking myself out on the bottom, and being rescued and lungs pumped out by the life guard.

So we paid our money and were led out to a battered old van with the oxygen tanks and flippers in, what was also in the van or should I say not in the van was half of the floor, rotted out I took it from the salt water running off the equipment after use. We were delivered to a beach and given the necessary items for diving, shown how to turn the tanks on and off being the only instructions and the van and driver then left leaving us to our own devices.

Four of us went into the water myself and Nick took a while to work out how to balance the weighted belt so we didn't keep turning upside down in the water, the other two friends didn't feel comfortable and went back to the beach. A couple of hours later the van returned and picked us up, we were asked if we enjoyed it and Nick and myself said we did. The driver said would we like to dive the following morning onto a WWII British destroyer bombed and sunk by German aircraft, we said that we should have time to do that as we were flying out in the afternoon after lunch.

Next morning we arrived at the dive shop ready to go, however ( thankfully ) the dive had been called off due to an unusual storm appearing overnight and the waves were too high and the currents too strong. So we had lunch and headed to the airport and flew home. Two weeks after arriving home I heard and also read a news report of a young lady being crippled for life through diving on the morning of flying, she contracted the bends due to the oxygen levels in her blood vessels when the plane reached flying altitude. We were naive of this and nothing had ever been said to us when we agreed to dive on the sunken destroyer, having said that we would be flying a few hours later.

You are either blessed or darned lucky. Probably both! Sad for the lady, but glad no harm to you or your friends.

Mikie

Happy flights, Mary Ellis, flying with angel wings now. I never could understand why some people think females are inferior to males. Different, yes, thank goodness, but inferior? No way.

Mikie

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent

Wow, glad you walked away smiling, albeit ignorantly. We see the scuba places here and they even have signs stating no diving if you are flying in the next 24 hours. Likely added to protect themselves from liability.

Hi Ken, just now had the time to properly read this post: thankfully a lucky escape!

Rene