Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

It seems like you folks have denim in your genes.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well I see what you did there hahahaa

Yes several of us are dyed in the wool blue denim collectors, ever since I started collecting I have collected US Army denim as and when I saw it.

Below is a civilian denim coat identical to one seen in a 1941 National Archives photo ( III SC 272708 ) seen on page 72 of ' Doughboy to G.I. '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 14 2018. ( Bastille Day ).

.post-344-0-06219700-1531556321_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Sort of the flipside to that, not long ago, I was at an airshow display with some re-enactor friends and a teen wearing what looked like 80s punk rock looking stuff came up. You could just tell by the look of him, he thought he'd invented the look. "Watch this," I told the guys. I walked up and said how great it was to see someone do the look I'd had when I was his age (a total lie, I never did the punk look as a teen, but he didn't know that). He just stood there, befuddled.

Yeah, I told him, that was a huge thing in the 80s. I asked how he couldn't have known that as plenty of people in my age range must have seen him before then and would have also known that.

You'd have thought I just snuffed his will to live.

He whipped out his phone, obviously looking up "80s punk look" on Google like I'd just told him to, ("don't take my word for it," I said, "The internet has plenty of stuff on it, I'd think,") and a look of horror crept across his face. He tore a beeline for the exit.

One of the guy watching busted out laughing and said, "you just changed that guy's look forever. His parents owe you big time!"

Hi Lee, I never liked the punk look of the 80s, when I left school in the mid 60s I was part of the Mod scene, the bands were The Small Faces, the Kinks, The Who, we rode Lambretta or Vespa scooters, wore US M-51 fishtail parkas when riding the scooters to protect the hand finished Italian Mohair suits we wore underneath, all very clean tidy and with short hair styles.

Late 80s my two nephews were pleased that I had hung onto my Mohair suits as they became part of a retro-mod scene at that time and I gave them my suits.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 14 2018.

post-344-0-20602000-1531557592_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Just off this afternoon to deliver a late 1960's vintage denim jacket I used to wear while hanging out with Zeppelin to a friends wife, might well fit her but not me any longer . . . . . . . She would really prefer the fringed leather jacket I used to wear at that time but that ones marked down to my daughter . . . . . . .

I think Ellen tried on the leather fringe jacket at your place a year or two ago....

I think you took a picture of her wearing it!

Found the pictures of the fringed leather jacket on my home computer...

Taken early August 2016...

post-92-0-97020100-1531674247.jpg

post-92-0-73588300-1531674256.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Johan, thanks for the photos of Ellen, sadly my house computer decided to self destruct about six months ago and I can't access the photo files, pleased that you managed to find them.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 15 2018. ( France won the World Football Cup )

General Apathy

Well, it's a start.... My first piece was this denim Daisy Mae Hat..

Looking at what Ken's denim hats sold for, a good investment... LOL

Hi Johan, I think we were all shocked at the prices of the denim hats, this is one of three unissued ones that I sold in the May 12th auction.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 15 2018. ( France won the World Football Cup )

.post-344-0-80952800-1531678321_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Vaudeville . . . . . . . . . Originated in Normandy France.

Reading a 1925 guide to Normandy this evening I came across this passage regarding the town of Vire.

Below Vire is the valley of the Virene known as ' Les Vaux de Vire ' which gave it's name to lively songs in praise of cider and women. These songs edited by Jean le Houx in the 16th century gave rise to the term ' Vaudeville '. Olivier Basselin had a flourishing mill on the side of the river there in the 15th century.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 17. 2018.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now, Carentan . . . . . . . .

I had reason to be in Carentan this afternoon and just had time to make a comparison shot of this wartime image.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 17 2018.

. post-344-0-13902800-1531854548_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

I had reason to be in Carentan this afternoon and made this comparison shot of the wartime image in the previous post

post-344-0-64790000-1531854675_thumb.jpg

Great jacket! Ellen looks quite happy wearing it.

Mikie

I had reason to be in Carentan this afternoon and made this comparison shot of the wartime image in the previous post

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another great Then and Now!

Mikie

You could charge extra for the full expererience, some explosions and the occasional bullet through the window.

Mikie

I think that would work...even have some livestock roaming around leaving fresh mines to step in or set up your tent on.

General Apathy

Wow! 15 acres! Here is Silicon Valley, that amount of $$ would maybe get you a dog house. Maybe I should start brushing up on my French. For Ron's sake, any bridges on the property?

Mikie

?

Hey Mikie, that's pretty similar to London post WWII you could buy an entire street for that price, nowadays you would be lucky to get a parking spot for that price in most areas. There's a new parking craze happening in London, just park on anyone's empty drive, the police don't respond as it's private property and not public property, that is the police don't respond until the householder maybe damages the car or assaults the driver . . . . . . . . . . All of a sudden the fact it's private property is then forgotten.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 19 2018.

General Apathy

Great jacket! Ellen looks quite happy wearing it.

Mikie

Mikie, Ellen is a great compliment to Johan and his wife.

General Apathy

I think that would work...even have some livestock roaming around leaving fresh mines to step in or set up your tent on.

Hi Ron, that would make a nice warm pillow for your head if camping . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-60020100-1531990340.jpg

General Apathy

fe08c27e65d50c75316f034f87289080.png

Ken

Here I am in 1979

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, well I can only wish you a speedy recovery . . . . . . . .

I was never a punk but my hair looked like yours for an hour one day when I was ten and exploring an abandoned air-raid shelter, in the dark I pushed my fingers into a dark cupboard and was blown across the room from the still connected electricity.

.post-344-0-57182700-1531990694_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

My browser thingee says this is the 499th page on this tread. I'm not trying to boost it up to 500 here or anything...

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well my last post just flipped the page from 499 to the 500 th, another milestone passed on the road to a million hits.

Nice...well at least Pegasus bridge is near if I feel home sick. :)

Im thinking a Bed and Breakfast venture for the budget minded traveler.Offer a less than 5 star stay.Maybe a WW2 based experiance with primitive accomodations...no running water,electricity,or other amenities for the reenactor or history enthusiast. ;)

Maybe a K-rat for breakfast in bed. And toilet paper rationing could also add to the experience……………

post-169612-0-37325800-1532011894_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Lee, I never liked the punk look of the 80s, when I left school in the mid 60s I was part of the Mod scene, the bands were The Small Faces, the Kinks, The Who, we rode Lambretta or Vespa scooters, wore US M-51 fishtail parkas when riding the scooters to protect the hand finished Italian Mohair suits we wore underneath, all very clean tidy and with short hair styles.

Late 80s my two nephews were pleased that I had hung onto my Mohair suits as they became part of a retro-mod scene at that time and I gave them my suits.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 14 2018.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ken, I believe I saw this one before but it's still a great shot.

Rene

Hello everyone, here's another Then and Now from my hometown containing another buidling with a certain history in WW2. During the war this building was the gathering place for local NSDAP members. It was known then as Das Deutsche Haus (The German Home).

In the Then shot you can see the Nazi flag in front of the building.

post-169612-0-79664300-1532012962.jpg post-169612-0-87941000-1532012995_thumb.jpg

Rene

Just checked in here. I'll hold off commenting on individual posts until I can stop laughing and start breathing again! Congrats Ken and everyone for 500 pages! Norman D. Landing ROCKS!