Norman D. Landing

bilko1

For authenticity sake, I hope you were only using original 1944 vintage ingredients.

Mikie

Well, I think Ken is a real Hashburner and has had to deal with quite some chow hounds during his cooking days but I don't think he served them shinola on a shingle. Collision mats would be more likely ^_^.

Ahhhh, I see the Forum has some sort of auto correction for certain words. The real expression isn't 'shinola on a shingle'. See the slang link for the real expression (if you haven't guessed already….)

(https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/wwii-slang/)

Food related video:

Rene

Joke played on a life long chum . . . . . . . . . . .

Sorting through photographs today I found this image, around 2005 a life-long friend Warwick ran the tee shirt sales of our UK Jeep club, he arranged with an artist friend Spike in New Zealand to do about six designs featuring WWII vehicles in a winter environment that could be sold as Christmas cards in packs for club members. Most of the club members bought packs of the cards including myself when I came up with the idea of phoning around the club members and getting everyone to send Warwick the identical card.

When I visited Warwick two weeks before Christmas he already had sixteen of the same designs blu-tacked to his wall, and more cards still to arrive, I can't recall the final total and Warwick sadly died in 2009.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19 2018.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Haha, these are my kind of pranks…...

Sorry to hear he passed away.

Rene

Ha! Good one! Reminds me of years ago at work I got a Digikey print catalog in my mail box. And so did everyone else in the building. They all knew I ordered parts a lot and would leave their copy on my desk. I ended up with about 20 copies of the darned thing. It was a running gag for a while.

Also years ago I tried an American version of Blue Tack to put something up on my office wall. It lasted about a day and fell off and wouldn't stay. My English coworker Andy gave me some British Blue Tack and it worked like a charm. On his next trip back home I gave him a few bucks to bring me some more. That stuff is FANTASTIC!!

Mikie

Ah, Blu Tack.....what would we do without it...…. (the same goes for duct tape imo)

post-169612-0-22660400-1529523300.jpg

Rene

Joke played on a life long chum . . . . . . . . . . .

Sorting through photographs today I found this image, around 2005 a life-long friend Warwick ran the tee shirt sales of our UK Jeep club, he arranged with an artist friend Spike in New Zealand to do about six designs featuring WWII vehicles in a winter environment that could be sold as Christmas cards in packs for club members. Most of the club members bought packs of the cards including myself when I came up with the idea of phoning around the club members and getting everyone to send Warwick the identical card.

When I visited Warwick two weeks before Christmas he already had sixteen of the same designs blu-tacked to his wall, and more cards still to arrive, I can't recall the final total and Warwick sadly died in 2009.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19 2018.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Definitely looks like Warwick had a "Blue Christmas".... ;)

Hi everyone, what follows is not a traditional Then and Now shot but more of a Then, Then and Now shot. It shows what can happen in a short amount of time. The first picture shows the Rechtestraat in Eindhoven during the link up of XXX corps on september 19th 1944 as part of operation Market Garden (and it is also a good excuse to feature some nurses..........) Later in the evening of the 19th some 85 airplanes of the German Luftwaffe executed a bombing run on the city centre. The second Then picture shows the same place in the morning of september 20th 1944.

Today that same street is one of the busiest shopping streets of the city and not much can be recognized anymore.

post-169612-0-93700000-1529524380_thumb.jpg post-169612-0-96379500-1529524394_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-61339200-1529524409_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

I am telling you mate.

If I were there it would be the heavyweight piece going home in my car.

My wallet would be WAY lighter though.

I wonder where the town dump was for the stone ?

Bet its a goldmine waiting to be dug up unless it was used as road foundations ETC.

owen

Hi Owen, well I found out more about that piece today and as already stated it started life as a lintel in a house built in the 1600's, as the house aged a newer house was built nearby and the original house became a barn, then it was demolished and the pieces of usable stone sold off and most likely used in other builds.

So here is a shot of the house at the time it was a barn and just a week or so before demolishing for the stonework.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20 2018.

post-344-0-82484900-1529527073_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Ha! Good one! Reminds me of years ago at work I got a Digikey print catalog in my mail box. And so did everyone else in the building. They all knew I ordered parts a lot and would leave their copy on my desk. I ended up with about 20 copies of the darned thing. It was a running gag for a while.

Also years ago I tried an American version of Blue Tack to put something up on my office wall. It lasted about a day and fell off and wouldn't stay. My English coworker Andy gave me some British Blue Tack and it worked like a charm. On his next trip back home I gave him a few bucks to bring me some more. That stuff is FANTASTIC!!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes Warwick was the sort of guy that would take any joke on his broad shoulders and laugh along with it, he also played jokes on other people as well.

Norman D. Landing. Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20 2018.

General Apathy

Well, I think Ken is a real Hashburner and has had to deal with quite some chow hounds during his cooking days but I don't think he served them shinola on a shingle. Collision mats would be more likely ^_^.

Ahhhh, I see the Forum has some sort of auto correction for certain words. The real expression isn't 'shinola on a shingle'. See the slang link for the real expression (if you haven't guessed already.)

(https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/wwii-slang/)

Food related video:

Rene

Hi Rene, the years that I did the cooking I started at 02.00 of a morning getting the log fire going underneath the kitchen trailer, the trailer had four compartments filled with water and these had to be brought up to a temperature for immersing the pots of food into for heating. 02.00 hours start was necessary for the water to get hot enough for an 08.00 breakfast, fast food it wasn't.

Which opens the way for the question . . . . . . .

question, why do the French eat snails

answer, because they don't like fast food. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Haha, these are my kind of pranks...

Sorry to hear he passed away.

Rene

Hi Rene, another time when he had a party at his house I removed a decorative plate off the wall and exchanged the plate for a frozen pizza out of his fridge, it took a lot of small throat clearing coughs to alert him to look around until he spotted the pizza. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Another time at a previous house we all used to enjoy swopping all the kitchen drawers and contents around as all the ten drawers were the same size and easily slid out and exchanged for any other drawer, his wife could never find what she was looking for without checking all the drawers, childish behavior I know but fun . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Definitely looks like Warwick had a "Blue Christmas".... ;)

Hi Ron, after Warwick died I inherited the larger original sketches that the Christmas cards were produced from, the one of the broken down Jeep on a dark snowy night with a flashlight creating beams of light was my favorite of the six designs.

Hi Ron, after Warwick died I inherited the larger original sketches that the Christmas cards were produced from, the one of the broken down Jeep on a dark snowy night with a flashlight creating beams of light was my favorite of the six designs.

That sounds great.He had a real eye for the art work.

General Apathy

Hi everyone, what follows is not a traditional Then and Now shot but more of a Then, Then and Now shot. It shows what can happen in a short amount of time. The first picture shows the Rechtestraat in Eindhoven during the link up of XXX corps on september 19th 1944 as part of operation Market Garden (and it is also a good excuse to feature some nurses..........) Later in the evening of the 19th some 85 airplanes of the German Luftwaffe executed a bombing run on the city centre. The second Then picture shows the same place in the morning of September 20th 1944? Today that same street is one of the busiest shopping streets of the town.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for bringing this tragic event before us.

I was in the town of Vire today having lunch with friends and we talked about the bombing raids on the town in June 44. Apparently the RAF dropped leaflets over the town alerting the citizens to abandon the town before it was bombed later, unfortunately the leaflets drifted with the wind out of town and were lost over a Forest. A second attempt was made to clear the town by sending in a resistance member to alert the mayor to evacuate the town, he was unwilling to do so in case the Germans made reprisals against his family, over three hundred inhabitants died in the bombing.

These the/now photos are amazing.

Last month, my wife and I were in Bayeux one evening and walking back to our (microscopic in size) hotel from dinner at an amazing crepe place and we walked past a closed candy store with a photo of de Gaulle in the window that didn't seem belong with the rest of decor. I wondered why, so I stopped and looked. It was the same store, in 1944! If memory serves, the caption said that one of the owner's parents was in the shot as a little kid.

In fact, it was easy to find online as well:

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.8GPVe_KarCm1vY5dZck_tQHaGi&pid=Api

We'd just spent the day out on all the landing beaches, so I didn't even think to take a photo showing the 'now' portion to compare to, one of the minor regrets of the trip.

I can't imagine living there, being able to track those spots down like that, as I'd be doing that with every period photo I found if I lived there/...

Hi Owen, well I found out more about that piece today and as already stated it started life as a lintel in a house built in the 1600's, as the house aged a newer house was built nearby and the original house became a barn, then it was demolished and the pieces of usable stone sold off and most likely used in other builds.

So here is a shot of the house at the time it was a barn and just a week or so before demolishing for the stonework.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What a shame that house came down.

Mikie

Good footage of eating in the field

All these videos are making me hungry again.

OK Rene, this was taken in Eigelshoven, Holland. Let's see a Now shot of that field. Let me know if you find any leftovers.

Mikie

General Apathy

Interesting photograph Oran, North Africa, 1943 . . . . . . . . . .

A friend sent me several images this week of US troops in North Africa 1943, the one that caught my eye was this one and the information to be seen within it. I liked the uniform details to be seen and I wondered if the US employed local people to help service and load their tanks, It's also possible to see different color heads on the shells being loaded and on the ones on the ground.

However what really caught my attention are the early .30 & .50 Caliber cans lower front of the photo these are not often seen in photos and here they are so clearly seen as they have been painted white as most things were on the inside of tanks.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 22 2018.

.post-344-0-11300300-1529649144_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . .

An unissued version of the early .30 Caliber ammunition can as seen in the photo in the previous post taken in Oran, North Africa 1943, it has a large ordnance mark and U.S. at either end of the can below the rotating locking handles.

. post-344-0-98635800-1529649643_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Always something else to learn from the contents of "the shoebox" Ken, thanks for posting.

Hi Simon, thanks, always pleased that the forum posts bring forth interaction with other members, pleased that you enjoyed the photo and the ammunition chest as they have titled it.

Hope you're having the same blistering hot sun that we have had here in Normandy this past week, pity D-Day week didn't measure up to our present weather .

General Apathy

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

From my photo file a photo of my HBT shirts, if I recall these three shirts are all a similar date approximately mid 1943, but different manufacturers, all the shades within the quartermasters specifications. The shirt on the left has riveted buttons with a central depression for the rivet, the middle shirt has brown plastic sewn on buttons, and the shirt on the right has a black plain flat face with the rivet applied from the rear. I also have two other shirts of the same date period with different buttons, a riveted button with central depression for the rivet and Laurel leaves and stars around the outer flat surface, and the last shirt with the standard riveted thirteen star buttons. All five shirts in nice unissued condition.

. post-344-0-33792400-1529664429_thumb.jpg

Government Issue

More field kitchen.506th marked helmets

Toward the end there, was that a liberated Russian POW with a Tommy gun? The cap looks soviet to me? Really interesting!

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . .

An unissued version of the early .30 Caliber ammunition can as seen in the photo in the previous post taken in Oran, North Africa 1943, it has a large ordnance mark and U.S. at either end of the can below the rotating locking handles.

. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Interesting can. I don't think I've seen one like that before.

Mikie