Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

I see two items I need

Hi Robert, I needed all these items when I saw them years ago, thankfully due to display and storage problems I had years ago I found I didn't need to add anything more.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 5 2018.

Hi Mikie, well the answer to that might be to wrap your keyboard in ' cling-film, saran-wrap, food-wrap sadly couldn't find a Dutch version of that but no-doubt Rene can fill us in on that translation.

Glad to be of help: plastic folie ( not to be mistaken with plastic folly.......).

Rene

Thanks for your recommendation on the film, several other friends have repeated a similar experience of the storyline being tweaked giving a nod towards today's mantra of re-writing history. Surprised that war films still have opposing forces in them, and that Dumbo the elephant should still has an elephant in the storyline.

I liked the film too and although I don't care one bit about Hollywood, I think Gary Oldman's Oscar is thoroughly deserved.

Besides all that, Churchill is another reason why I like the English language so much.

KBO

Rene

General Apathy

Crated WWII Dodges . . . . . . . . .

everyone in the Jeeping world has heard or searched for the mythical fifty dollar Jeep in a crate, since the start of the craze for collecting and restoring WWII Jeeps no-one has ever turned one up, it would stand the collecting world on it's head if they did.

I thought I would now throw out another challenge, to find a crated Dodge. As far as I know having owned Dodges and knowing many friends with Dodges I have never heard anyone speak of finding a crated WWII Dodge of any model. Attached below is my manual for un-crating and re-assembling crated Dodges.

So anyone out there been lucky, make my day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 8 2018.

post-344-0-69380300-1520501270_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Crated WWII Dodges . . . . . . . . . Cont.

To aid people in their search here is a shot of the Chassis and axles pack, the two chassis pack had one chassis inverted on top of the lower one. Even if I couldn't own it I would love to see one . . . . . . . :love:

post-344-0-27153400-1520501816_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken, that's quite a challenge but why not up the ante and go for a crate that holds two? ^_^

Original caption to the photograpgh: Side of crate being put on package of trucks for export shipment, Dodge truck plant, Detroit MI, circa August 1942. This crate holds two WC-51 or WC-52 3/4-ton 4x4 trucks, knocked down to reduce shipping cube.

post-169612-0-06485400-1520524452_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, that's quite a challenge but why not up the ante and go for a crate that holds two? ^_^

Original caption to the photograpgh: Side of crate being put on package of trucks for export shipment, Dodge truck plant, Detroit MI, circa August 1942. This crate holds two WC-51 or WC-52 3/4-ton 4x4 trucks, knocked down to reduce shipping cube.

attachicon.gifDodge.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks that's a great photo at the factory, I have never seen that one before.

So between us we have managed a then and now, you provided the ' Then ' at the factory and I have attached the ' Now ' showing the bodies in the crate as seen in the manual. :lol:

post-344-0-14409900-1520539210_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Here is one...

attachicon.gifmodel.jpg

Some assembly required.

Ok I cheated just a little.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, unfortunately your ' crated ' model isn't really going to hit the high dollar with a collector . . . . . ^_^

Hi Mikie, when will we see this model finished? ^_^

Rene

I don't know. When do you plan on making it? Model making requires infinite patience, a quality I infinitely do not have much of anymore. I am humbly amazed at the model making skills displayed by many folks around the forum.

Mikie

General Apathy

I don't know. When do you plan on making it? Model making requires infinite patience, a quality I infinitely do not have much of anymore. I am humbly amazed at the model making skills displayed by many folks around the forum.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, As I said a few posts above no-one has ever been lucky enough to find a Jeep in a crate, and at least you are starting off with a crate ( well a box anyway ), even though it's not a Jeep. ^_^

So after years of messing around with Jeeps my advice is always go for one on the road working and start from there with a restoration as you will know that you have virtually everything needed for the Jeep. When you start with a shed load of parts there's always stuff missing and that's when it becomes expensive finding and buying the missing parts, anything you could want is available as a reproduction, if that's the way you want to go, but again at a price.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 13 2018.

General Apathy

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Most of the M-43 folding shovels to be found are dated 1944 and manufactured by ' Wood ', it gets more difficult to actually find 43 dated shovels, so it's a great pleasure owning one dated 1943, and made by American Fork & Hoe Co. ^_^

post-344-0-13608800-1520963738_thumb.jpg

looking at my list it looks like I have one dated 43 and the others are dated 45 . Looks like I have no dated 44 so something to look for to add to the collection

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Most of the M-43 folding shovels to be found are dated 1944 and manufactured by ' Wood ', it gets more difficult to actually find 43 dated shovels, so it's a great pleasure owning one dated 1943, and made by American Fork & Hoe Co. ^_^

Oooooh! A 1943 dated folding shovel! I've been keeping my eye out for one of those since I found a 1943 dated first pattern cover last year. So far I have not dug one up yet. I'm so embarrassed to have a 1944 dated shovel in it. Don't tell anyone...

Mikie

So after years of messing around with Jeeps my advice is always go for one on the road working and start from there with a restoration as you will know that you have virtually everything needed for the Jeep. When you start with a shed load of parts there's always stuff missing and that's when it becomes expensive finding and buying the missing parts, anything you could want is available as a reproduction, if that's the way you want to go, but again at a price.

I agree fully, and when people who don't know any better ask what they should look for, I tell them to get one that they can already drive now, and swapping out parts one at a time is much easier. Otherwise, they will commit themselves for a restoration timeframe that moves glacially (or not at all). I only know two people who ever bought a bunch of Jeep parts and built a running restored Jeep out of the pile.

The rest, I tell them, all gave up after seeing the parts slowly rusting away after well over a decade, selling the parts to someone else who'd do the exact same thing.

I know of one such pile of parts "restoration project" that has outlived FOUR owners and the only thing that's ever changed is the order in which they've been stacked in the back of each person's shed/garage (that, and getting a little more rusted over the years). Soon, owner five will pass (he's way past the age you'd expect to do something with it, but like all the others before, he can't bear to part with it) and he's never done anything with it, either.

General Apathy

looking at my list it looks like I have one dated 43 and the others are dated 45 . Looks like I have no dated 44 so something to look for to add to the collection

Hi Robert, that's like me I already have 42, 43, 44 dated bottles of Coca Cola, I now need 41 and 45 dated ones. ;)

General Apathy

Oooooh! A 1943 dated folding shovel! I've been keeping my eye out for one of those since I found a 1943 dated first pattern cover last year. So far I have not dug one up yet. I'm so embarrassed to have a 1944 dated shovel in it. Don't tell anyone...

Mikie

Hi Mikie, there you go with the puns again ' I have not dug one up yet ', good luck, get the trouble and strife of your life to buy you one for Christmas next year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

I agree fully, and when people who don't know any better ask what they should look for, I tell them to get one that they can already drive now, and swapping out parts one at a time is much easier. Otherwise, they will commit themselves for a restoration timeframe that moves glacially (or not at all). I only know two people who ever bought a bunch of Jeep parts and built a running restored Jeep out of the pile.

The rest, I tell them, all gave up after seeing the parts slowly rusting away after well over a decade, selling the parts to someone else who'd do the exact same thing.

I know of one such pile of parts "restoration project" that has outlived FOUR owners and the only thing that's ever changed is the order in which they've been stacked in the back of each person's shed/garage (that, and getting a little more rusted over the years). Soon, owner five will pass (he's way past the age you'd expect to do something with it, but like all the others before, he can't bear to part with it) and he's never done anything with it, either.

Hi Lee, thank you, you have extrapolated my suggestion quite nicely suggesting that parts collectors never really get a job finished. I am also guilty of that in the field of uniform collecting, I used to buy items that I desired to complete other items but in the end never got around to pulling all those parts together. Only last week I was trying to find all the British made for US pieces I have scattered around my storage shoebox, owned them for years but never concentrated them together , , , , , , , , , guilty M'lord. :huh:

Hi Mikie, there you go with the puns again ' I have not dug one up yet ', good luck, get the trouble and strife of your life to buy you one for Christmas next year . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

My apologies if I'm getting annoying with the puns. I love puns, the worse the better. But I've known a person or two that wishes I'd tone them down a bit. An ex-wife comes to mind. I certainly don't want it to end up on here like things did with her, so let me know if I need to resist the temptation.

Mikie

I never tried doing anything remotely like a jeep project, but if I did, I can see that is exactly how it would turn out. Though I'd probably eventually end up making a planter out of it or something. I'd be hard pressed these days to build that model kit. That is why things like your railroad absolutely stun me.

Mikie

General Apathy

My apologies if I'm getting annoying with the puns. I love puns, the worse the better. But I've known a person or two that wishes I'd tone them down a bit. An ex-wife comes to mind. I certainly don't want it to end up on here like things did with her, so let me know if I need to resist the temptation.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I will give you an answer at the end of this story which will help set the scene. A few years ago the lady I was going out with at that time answered my question quite sharply about stopping off for a drink in a pub we were passing, her response registered with me but I played dumb and repeated the question at every approaching pub and again each time received a terse reply. Upon reaching my house I told her to sit down and I would pour a couple of Gin & tonics, as I handed her the Gin and tonic she said without smiling ' Lewis don't you know I'm mad at you ', to which I leaned forward a little and softly whispered ' you can't be we're not married ' she burst out laughing and said ' Lewis, I can't beat you can I ', I just smiled and never found out what she was mad about . . . . . . . . . . . B)

So if your ex-wife used to get upset about your puns, then that's not a problem for me here, we ain't married . . . :lol:

Hi Mikie, I will give you an answer at the end of this story which will help set the scene. A few years ago the lady I was going out with at that time answered my question quite sharply about stopping off for a drink in a pub we were passing, her response registered with me but I played dumb and repeated the question at every approaching pub and again each time received a terse reply. Upon reaching my house I told her to sit down and I would pour a couple of Gin & tonics, as I handed her the Gin and tonic she said without smiling ' Lewis don't you know I'm mad at you ', to which I leaned forward a little and softly whispered ' you can't be we're not married ' she burst out laughing and said ' Lewis, I can't beat you can I ', I just smiled and never found out what she was mad about . . . . . . . . . . . B)

So if your ex-wife used to get upset about your puns, then that's not a problem for me here, we ain't married . . . :lol:

Oh, that's funny!

Mikie

Another great story Ken.

Reminds me of the line I use when people say "I wouldn't want to insult you"...I reply "you wont insult me...I was married once" :)

Mikie...all I can say is life is to short not to have pun...... ;)