Norman D. Landing

bilko1

And in light of the preceding post, a person ' Can ' never have enough cans . . . . . . . . ( pun intended )

lots of us might have a .30 Cal. ammunition can in our collections, do we ever really study them, after all its just a .30 Cal. can. So years ago it came as a surprise to me to actually spot a .30 Cal. can marked M2 in my collection and not the standard M1 marking, a couple of years ago it came as another surprise to have another can devoid of any markings . . . . . . . . . . .

So the bottom can is totally unmarked not even a manufacturer, the M1 can was made by Reeves, and the M2 made by SF. Ltd.. Now I am aware that there are many other manufacturers and I have had several of them over the years, but I decided to keep just the three I photographed. ;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 21 2018.

Hi Ken, nice ammo cans. As far as OD cans go I have a slight bias in favour towards these variants (yes, this one has OD paint on it) ^_^

post-169612-0-93870200-1519396906.jpg

Rene

Well as long as everyone is showing their cans, here are mine...

post-2687-0-02283500-1519610796_thumb.jpg

Nothing exciting with them, but they are handy things to keep stuff in.

I picked up the .30 cal box at a local community college monthly flea market just last year. The seller told me that he sold the ammo belt out of it 10 minutes before I showed up. He had no idea what kind of ammo it was. Strange story that someone would by the ammo but not want the box.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Ken, nice ammo cans. As far as OD cans go I have a slight bias in favour towards these variants (yes, this one has OD paint on it) ^_^

attachicon.gifSAM_2882 can.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, I'll drink to that . . . . . .. .. .. . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 27 2018.

General Apathy

Well as long as everyone is showing their cans, here are mine...

attachicon.gifcans2.jpg

Nothing exciting with them, but they are handy things to keep stuff in.

I picked up the .30 cal box at a local community college monthly flea market just last year. The seller told me that he sold the ammo belt out of it 10 minutes before I showed up. He had no idea what kind of ammo it was. Strange story that someone would by the ammo but not want the box.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I think it was about twenty years ago that the US military disposed of thousands of .50 Cal cans containing WWII dated ammunition. A private company had the contract to destroy the ammunition and the sold all the nice condition cans into the surplus market. :lol:

General Apathy

I thought I would take a dip into the Shoebox . . . . .

Ok it might be a bit early in the morning showing swimwear after a dip in the shoebox, I'll carry on paddling through this post. A knitted wool one-piece with integral shorts sewn in, these must have felt like crawling through mud once the wool had soaked in all the water. :dry:

post-344-0-38872500-1519722628_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

The labels for the swimwear featured in the previous post, US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics.

post-344-0-30249900-1519722951.jpg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . .

A second pair of identical swimwear, never found out the reason for the USN lettering to be in different colors on the chest, one in red and one in light blue lettering, wonder if it could distinguish officers and enlisted men out of uniform, pure guesswork on that one though. :huh:

post-344-0-29432300-1519723330_thumb.jpg

Very cool suits.Im glad you dove into the shoe box and these floated to the surface.Thanks for posting these as those of us in the shallow end get to peek into the box.

General Apathy

Very cool suits.Im glad you dove into the shoe box and these floated to the surface.Thanks for posting these as those of us in the shallow end get to peek into the box.

Hi Ron, not certain if anyone else has ever posted a similar swimsuit on the forum. When I was collecting I loved the unusual stuff. Just had a thought if at the time that these were in use by the navy a bunch of the guys got together and formed a singing troop ' The Soggy - Bottom Boys ' would have been a good name for them . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Hi Ron, not certain if anyone else has ever posted a similar swimsuit on the forum. When I was collecting I loved the unusual stuff. Just had a thought if at the time that these were in use by the navy a bunch of the guys got together and formed a singing troop ' The Soggy - Bottom Boys ' would have been a good name for them . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Hi ken, if they did they would be men of constant sorrow............ ^_^

Rene

Oh, darn. You folks already lapped up all the good swimming puns. I'll just comment that it seems strange to me that these were made for the Bureau of Aeronautics. Maybe used by crews of dive bombers?

Mikie

Oh, darn. You folks already lapped up all the good swimming puns. I'll just comment that it seems strange to me that these were made for the Bureau of Aeronautics. Maybe used by crews of dive bombers?

Mikie

dive right in Mikie...take the plunge and get wet.Lots of water to tred here

General Apathy

Hi ken, if they did they would be men of constant sorrow............ ^_^

Rene

Wonder is anyone has a photograph of this style of swimwear was in use., maybe we might have seen their constant sorrow. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 28 2018.

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, you may not have been able to find anymore swimming puns, but did you realise that you had started a new pun run with your first two words about the knitted wool swimwear ' Oh Darn ', . . . . . . . . . . ;):lol::lol:

General Apathy

Mikie

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Mikie, here's another chance, see if you can make this one fly, sorry to say that the pigeon cages have already flown on their way to the auction in May. I bet Rene and Ron will be thinking about this one and how they could give their puns wings . . . . . . . . . . . :P ( I managed three )

The photo shows a four bird box, ' Map overlay paper - via pigeon ' and a few leg capsules. . . . . . .

post-344-0-24556500-1519815692_thumb.jpg

Simon Lerenfort

Hi Mikie, I think it was about twenty years ago that the US military disposed of thousands of .50 Cal cans containing WWII dated ammunition. A private company had the contract to destroy the ammunition and the sold all the nice condition cans into the surplus market. :lol:

Until a couple of years ago Roland was still selling NOS ammunition boxes at the Diekirch Museum in Luxembourg. (Well worth a visit if you haven't been).

General Apathy

Until a couple of years ago Roland was still selling NOS ammunition boxes at the Diekirch Museum in Luxembourg. (Well worth a visit if you haven't been).

Hello Simon, yes you're right it certainly is a museum that's different it's rather stockpiled than displayed, so much stuff in there. I have seen it grow from when it first opened and the years between and how it looks today.

Thanks for dropping in and adding comment on the .50 Cal cans. ;)

Hi Mikie, here's another chance, see if you can make this one fly, sorry to say that the pigeon cages have already flown on their way to the auction in May. I bet Rene and Ron will be thinking about this one and how they could give their puns wings . . . . . . . . . . . :P ( I managed three )

The photo shows a four bird box, ' Map overlay paper - via pigeon ' and a few leg capsules. . . . . . .

There çlearly hasn't been a 'pigeon holed' in this one because its way too clean.......... ;)

Rene

Hope my comment doesn't lay an egg, but that bird box is just ducky (my favorite personal catch phrase)! I just wouldn't like to be the bird in the lower box.

Mikie

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-the-beatles-and-your-bird-can-sing/b0595cf808457c62ebd3

Rene

After reading Mikie's and Rene's reply to Ken's post about his pigeon cages, all I can say is "Birds of a feather......."

I would agree...seems to be a pecking order here

General Apathy

After reading Mikie's and Rene's reply to Ken's post about his pigeon cages, all I can say is "Birds of a feather......."

As you say Erick, ' birds of a feather ' can flock together as they would in this earlier version of the four bird box . . . . . . .

p.s. we are presently suffering some of the lowest temperatures I have experienced in the ten years I have lived here, the ice on my garden pond being about three inches thick, and all the soil in my plant pots frozen solid. Four days ago the waste water outlet from my shower was frozen preventing any further water from passing down the pipe. No point in trying hot water as that would immediately cool and freeze so I poured car anti-freeze into the outlet of the shower tray, couple of hours later the pipe was clear again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 3 2018.

post-344-0-72146900-1520058904_thumb.jpg