Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Ken, again a nice shot of your jeep. So far I think we're only missing a shot from beneath :P . But seriously I never tire of jeep shots so please keep them coming.

Do you by any chance happen to know what kind of vehicle is parked to the right of your jeep? Never seen that one before.

Rene

Hi Rene, the vehicle next to my Jeep is a 1940 Dodge VC-1 command car, as you can see from the shape and the top of the windscreen it was originally intended as a closed cab body with full height side doors, however the bodywork was militarized from the windscreen backwards. I think there are only about five surviving restored examples in the world. There are other models in the VC range, a carryall, a pickup a panel van. As this appeared to be an expediency measure certain parts of the front engine compartment still used chromed and stainless steel parts, such as the long central hood hinge, the grill adornments, the windscreen opening brackets etc. The one shown in the previous drone shot had it's original hood number painted on the underside of the engine covers both side, whereas the one in the accompanying shot has the number on the top of the hood.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 22 2017.

.post-344-0-28803900-1511384164.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now, Town Hall and US Army band . . . . .

A US Army band can be seen playing in front of the town hall, it's believed that the town hall was painted a darker colour during the war for camouflage purposes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 23 2017.

post-344-0-15767700-1511473744_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now, Town Hall and US Army band . . . .

The spot today where around seventy years ago the US Army band played for the townsfolk. The façade of the town hall is now all cleaned back to the original stone finish.

post-344-0-49313000-1511474085_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Great pictures, Ken...

This is Isigny, right?

Hi Johan, well spotted and many thanks for being the first to add comment and encouragement, ^_^

. . . . ( 152 people looked but didn't pass any comment ) :(

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24 2017.

Hi Ken, I have to face the music................ as always a great Then and Now shot. I always wonder what they were playing at that moment. Would it be marching band music or more Glenn Miller style swing time.

Also thanks for the elaborate explanation about the Dodge VC-1 command car. It is appreciated.

Rene

Hello everyone, this time no Then and Now shot but something a little bit different. The pictures show the train station of Eindhoven. What is special about them is that these pictures show the use of wartime salvage in order to construct the roof top above the platforms. The station was build in the fifties and at that time steel was not readily available and also very expensive. So the architect came up with the idea of using some discarded Bailey bridge segments to contruct the roof top. In my opnion it is nice to see that it is still there.and stood the test of time.

post-169612-0-30580600-1511529039_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-95412300-1511529063_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Johan, well spotted and many thanks for being the first to add comment and encouragement, ^_^

. . . . ( 152 people looked but didn't pass any comment ) :(

finally got my computer back to where I can trust using it so comments will be forthcoming. Your posts always have lots of views so your fan base is quite large

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I have to face the music................ as always a great Then and Now shot. I always wonder what they were playing at that moment. Would it be marching band music or more Glenn Miller style swing time.

Also thanks for the elaborate explanation about the Dodge VC-1 command car. It is appreciated.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the email and support, the comment was in no way aimed at yourself as you are a regular contributor with comments and Then & Now's. Yesterday was nearly three hours time driving to the town and wondering around looking for comparison shots and angles, and around another twenty minutes downloading, resizing and posting.

Thanks again Rene . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Hello everyone, this time no Then and Now shot but something a little bit different. The pictures show the train station of Eindhoven. What is special about them is that these pictures show the use of wartime salvage in order to construct the roof top above the platforms. The station was build in the fifties and at that time steel was not readily available and also very expensive. So the architect came up with the idea of using some discarded Bailey bridge segments to contruct the roof top. In my opnion it is nice to see that it is still there.and stood the test of time.

attachicon.gifSAM_2499 station.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2500 station 2.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, fantastic images, how many people would look up and recognize what they are looking at as WWII Bailey bridge sections. When I lived in the UK I lived just a few miles from where these sections were possibly built, the factory is long gone with just one very small section sat at the roadside recording the fact that a significant contribution to WWII was manufactured there.

Thanks great information for everyone.

For French or European readers check out page 77, November issue 25 of the magazine ' Normandie1944 ' it shows sections of German Panther tank tracks set into a stone wall forming steps up the wall, another example of war surplus usage.

Not certain about showing the image here due to copyrights.

attachicon.gifSAM_2499 station.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2500 station 2.jpg

Rene

That is awesome! I would never have known?!

Brilliant salvage!

General Apathy

That is awesome! I would never have known?!

Brilliant salvage!

More brilliant Then & Now WWII salvage in use, London . . . .

Hi McDuff, years ago visiting friends in London we would look around for signs of wartime damage, memorials, and salvage use, or military vehicles being used for civilian purposes.

The attached photo shows British air-raid wardens carrying cheap and efficient stretchers during an air-raid. the following post will show these very same stretchers being put to post war use.

post-344-0-50609500-1511536689.png

General Apathy

The East end of London contained the large commercial shipping ports and was heavily bombed during the Blitz. Post war a lot of rebuilding was carried out and the fences bordering the rebuilt block of flats were constructed from thousands of the wartime ARP stretchers. These have been in use for around seventy years now, however a friend recently told me that it's possible they will be replaced in the near future..

post-344-0-92293200-1511537184.png

General Apathy

finally got my computer back to where I can trust using it so comments will be forthcoming. Your posts always have lots of views so your fan base is quite large

Hi Robert, pleased that you have your computer up and running again, welcome home. ;)

I know the posts are well followed but without posts from other members it's quite lonely reading my own stuff.

The post by Rene about the use of Bailey Bridge sections at the Eindhoven rail station led me to add photos of the ARP stretchers being used as fencing in London, also relating the use of Panther tank tracks being used as steps in a Normandy wall. . . . . . . . . ^_^

The East end of London contained the large commercial shipping ports and was heavily bombed during the Blitz. Post war a lot of rebuilding was carried out and the fences bordering the rebuilt block of flats were constructed from thousands of the wartime ARP stretchers. These have been in use for around seventy years now, however a friend recently told me that it's possible they will be replaced in the near future..

Hi Ken, that is a brilliant observation too!! Why replace them now I wonder? I hope they stay, or maybe a section saved for a home front museum in the future...

Cheers Graham

never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity and inventiveness of using what's at hand and considered having no purpose or use.

The fence is classic and way ahead of its time.People here now go all nutty over rusty and crusty items for decorating.Many have current successful businesses doing what they call "repurposing".

Be a shame to see it scrapped.

Thanks to Ken and Rene we get to see some of these items.

Normandy Then & Now, Town Hall and US Army band . . . . .

A US Army band can be seen playing in front of the town hall, it's believed that the town hall was painted a darker colour during the war for camouflage purposes.

The best kind of Then and Now... no bombed out buildings, just people having a good time.

Mikie

attachicon.gif SAM_2499 station.jpg

attachicon.gif SAM_2500 station 2.jpg

Rene

Now that is impressive. Is this common knowledge there or did you happen to look up once and see them... "Oh carp! Those are Bailey bridges up there!".

Mikie

never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity and inventiveness of using what's at hand and considered having no purpose or use.

The fence is classic and way ahead of its time.People here now go all nutty over rusty and crusty items for decorating.Many have current successful businesses doing what they call "repurposing".

Be a shame to see it scrapped.

Thanks to Ken and Rene we get to see some of these items.

Another example of that old saying that necessity is the mother of invention.

Mikie

Ken, I like that town hall building in Isigny. Quite an imposing structure. Nice to see that its in such fine condition. Thanks as always for sharing!

Terry

Saw this link in another post and thought Ken may have some "now" pictures ir can add this to the "short" list of things to do. :blush:;)

http://www.maisybattery.com/the-americans-arrive-in-grandcamp-and-maisy/

Hi Ron, thanks for that link. Great pictures that I hadn't seen before.

It will keep Ken busy well into the new year, I think ;)

Rene

Now that is impressive. Is this common knowledge there or did you happen to look up once and see them... "Oh carp! Those are Bailey bridges up there!".

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I don't know if this is still common knowledge today but it is a known fact for those who are interested in architecture. If you would ask random passengers if they can tell you if that are Bailey bridge sections up there, I think the most common answer would be " if they are what???"

I for myself found out some time ago. It happened when I was waiting for a delayed train. Whili sitting on a bench I started looking around and also at the structure of the roof that suddenly started looking very familiar. At home I googled the Eindhoven railway station and there I found the confirmation that salvaged Bailey bridge sections were used in its construction. Ever since I had the intention to take photograps but eventually got around to it last Thursday while waiting for a delayed train..........

Rene