Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Thanks for all the new posts and best to Lauren on her special day

Hi Ron, thanks for your wishes for Laurens birthday, as you will have probably now read above her birthday also became her engagement party. . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 18 2017.

General Apathy

Yes, love the trousers.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well thanks for the compliment on the trews ( it was made illegal in 1746 to wear the trews outside of military service, but the law was repealed in 1782 under the rule of King George III ).

Think I might have to give them an airing again sometime when the opportunity arises . . . . . . . . . :P

General Apathy

Hello everyone, it's back to my home town Venlo for this next Then and Now shot. It show the 784th tank battalion leaving ( I think) Venlo.

To make a half decent comparison shot I had to wait untill some trees had shed their leaves, The large buidling to the left in the Now shot is post war but if you look closely you can recognize some of the houses on the left.

attachicon.gif784th TBn.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2484.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, pleased that you added some more photos and forum member ' Sundance ' for saying he enjoyed them.

General Apathy

Then & Now, London 1942 . . . . . . . . .

I have had this image for some time waiting for the opportunity to visit London and take a comparison, that happened last week when I had a couple of days in London visiting and meeting up with a group of the old Jeeping gang . . .

The photograph showing two American soldiers relaxing and sight-seeing in London was taken in Berkeley square.

Berkeley square was first laid out in the mid 1660's by Lord Berkeley. As children both Winston Churchill and Charles Rolls of Rolls-Royce fame lived there, amongst many other famous residents.

post-344-0-85800700-1511000242_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Then & Now, London 2017 . . . . . . . . .

Once again it was not quite possible to get an exact comparison of the shot, due to the possibility of death by motor vehicle, London is so populated by cars now. Whilst trying to use the underground it is now quite common practise to close the entrance gates holding people outside on the streets and pavements until the crush of people on the platforms has been dealt with.

post-344-0-79085800-1511000661.png

General Apathy

Then & Now, London 1942 . . . . . . . . .

I have had this image for some time waiting for the opportunity to visit London and take a comparison, that happened last week when I had a couple of days in London visiting and meeting up with a group of the old Jeeping gang . . .

The photograph showing two American soldiers relaxing and sight-seeing in London was taken in Berkeley square.

Berkeley square was first laid out in the mid 1660's by Lord Berkeley. As children both Winston Churchill and Charles Rolls of Rolls-Royce fame lived there, amongst many other famous residents.

Brain Fart Correction . . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

well I have to admit that I made a grave mistake in my details written above accompanying the image of two American soldiers sight-seeing in London. Rushing around London in the daytime and imbibing in near industrial quantities of gin and tonic during the evenings resulted in writing down details in my note-pad incorrectly.

#1 the correct location of the monuments and the two American soldiers is Waterloo Place SW1, London, the monument commemorates the Crimean War of 1854 - 1856 against Russia, with the loss of around 2,500 officers and men.

#2 the details about Berkeley Square are correct regarding the previous inhabitants

post-344-0-05406600-1511013780_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the then and now from Venio. They always fascinate me. Maybe I'm easily fascinated - but the effort is much appreciated.

Thanks Sundance! There are still some more to come :)

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the compliments on the photo, amused with your use of the word ' nifty ' is there such a word in the Dutch language . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Well, translating 'nifty' into Dutch is not that easy. Closest would be the word 'vlot' in my opinion. But be careful, it can also mean 'raft' in English. ^_^

Rene

well I have to admit that I made a grave mistake in my details written above accompanying the image of two American soldiers sight-seeing in London. Rushing around London in the daytime and imbibing in near industrial quantities of gin and tonic during the evenings resulted in writing down details in my note-pad incorrectly.

#1 the correct location of the monuments and the two American soldiers is Waterloo Place SW1, London, the monument commemorates the Crimean War of 1854 - 1856 against Russia, with the loss of around 2,500 officers and men.

#2 the details about Berkeley Square are correct regarding the previous inhabitants

Don't worry, Ken

post-169612-0-31409400-1511016861_thumb.jpg

Rene

Well, translating 'nifty' into Dutch is not that easy. Closest would be the word 'vlot' in my opinion. But be careful, it can also mean 'raft' in English. ^_^

Rene

From time to time I have been tempted to not use an Americanism or slang word here for fear that Rene or others would not know them. But figured others like broadening horizons as much as I do and kept them in. So far Rene hasn't had a problem. Guess I need to try harder.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well thanks for the compliment on the trews ( it was made illegal in 1746 to wear the trews outside of military service, but the law was repealed in 1782 under the rule of King George III ).

Think I might have to give them an airing again sometime when the opportunity arises . . . . . . . . . :P

Now you have me wondering if you live a secret double life on a British Militaria Collector forum somewhere.

Mikie

I guess you were reenacting the London Blitz? At least you managed to get the right city.

Don't worry, Ken

attachicon.gif GIN.jpg

Rene

Back in my old drinking days I never much cared for gin. And wasn't too excited about tonic. But went with like minded friends to a bar when we heard Douglas Adams had died. I ordered a Gin & Tonic for the first time, in his memory. Surprisingly I quite liked it. And had more than one as I vaguely recall. Probably a good thing they didn't serve Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters there.

Mikie

Rene

So if I have a nifty raft, would it be a vlot vlot? But yes, it is best to tread carefully with mindless translations. With my luck that would translate into something that would get my face slapped.

Mikie

Hi Ron, thanks for your wishes for Laurens birthday, as you will have probably now read above her birthday also became her engagement party. . . . . ^_^

There you go...now you will have a son-in-law to help sort out the shoe box.Congratulations to all. :)

Hi Johan and Girls, thanks for the wishes to Lauren, last night I received three photographs showing Lauren and her boyfriend and the engagement ring he gave her when he proposed marriage.

I had kept it a secret that he had asked me if I was happy for them to get engaged, I responded with a typical response and said on condition he paid four camels, two elephants and a giraffe as dowry . . . . . . . .

Well at least you now have a zoo to compliment the shoe box..... ;):lol:

General Apathy

Don't worry, Ken

attachicon.gifGIN.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks, there are many fine quotes attributed to Churchill, I like the one that goes something like this.

" Mr Churchill if you were my husband I would put poison in your tea, Madam if I were your husband I would drink it "

:lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 19 2017.

General Apathy

From time to time I have been tempted to not use an Americanism or slang word here for fear that Rene or others would not know them. But figured others like broadening horizons as much as I do and kept them in. So far Rene hasn't had a problem. Guess I need to try harder.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, strange I find, that lots of letters are dropped in the American spelling of English words, however other words have letters added to them . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

Now you have me wondering if you live a secret double life on a British Militaria Collector forum somewhere.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, this is the only militaria forum that I look at or post things to, there's not enough hours in a day. my double life plays out in two weeks time when I have a dinner date with the first girlfriend I had after I left school . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Opening my email this morning and seeing a whole stack of posting notices for here was just like an early Christmas! Wonderful way to start the day!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, funny isn't it, I'm posting stuff before going to bed and your reading it at breakfast . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Well at least you now have a zoo to compliment the shoe box..... ;):lol:

Hi Ron, I stopped feeding the militaria habit some time ago, thankfully the animals are a fantasy so no feeding them either.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . Street scene

an image showing American troops engaging French civilians in conversation, damage to the garden wall can be seen at the rear of the group . . . . .

post-344-0-11374100-1511108240_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . Street scene.

The same spot today, when the wall was rebuilt a garage door was added into it, and the doors to the left of the photo changed, although the curved arc above the doorway remains.

post-344-0-02649900-1511108547_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron, I stopped feeding the militaria habit some time ago, thankfully the animals are a fantasy so no feeding them either.

No clean up either....as they say what goes in comes out.:D