Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Rene and Ken

Thanks for keeping the photos rolling in.Always a treat to see the Then and Now

Thanks Ron, I've only just started doing these Then and Now shots but I have to say it is becoming very addictive. :). Sometimes it is quite special to be in the same places 70 odd years later.

Rene

Rene,

More great pictures. The sidewalk looks the same except shorter. Was the road recovered with bricks and raised?

...Kat

Hi Kat, I'm not entirely sure but to me it seems that the road is raised. It is also not a level road but sloping. If I compare both photos I can see no alteration in the stairs.

Rene

This is the second of 2 pieces of militaria I saw in Florida. It's a 1942 dated musette bag. I know it's 1942 dated because it's mine. I've been using it as a shoulder bag on trips the past couple of years. Up till this trip it worked out well, but I guess the heat and humidity took it's toll and it developed an interesting aroma the last couple of days. Hanging it outside all day seems to have helped a lot. But I guess I'd better reevaluate using in on future trips. Anyone else use vintage equipment around and about?

Mikie

attachicon.gifpack.jpg

Hi Mikie, I sometimes use this as a camera bag.

post-169612-0-05409500-1503122997_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi everyone. We just got back home. I see I have a bit of catching up to do. Love it! A mystery like what that can is for would drive me crazy. If you or anyone figures it out, let us know. Can you tell if the St Louis manufacturer's name is under the paper label? Could that give a clue?

Well that burned out the last of my brain cells. I look forward to looking at all the posts here once I get some food and sleep.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well I hope it was a good trip and welcome home, that is, here to the forum . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 19 2017.

General Apathy

Rene and Ken

Thanks for keeping the photos rolling in.Always a treat to see the Then and Now

Hi Ron & Kat, pleased you are both enjoying the comparison shots, I was a little side tracked having friends here this week and usually got into conversations when we visited sites and forgetting to take photos of what we visited.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, thanks for that magnificent photo. I can only echo what hbtcoveralls said: that was some flying (or should I say gliding on June 5th/6th)

By the way the original bridge resides now at the Memorial Pegasus museum.

attachicon.gifDSC_2591.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_2602.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for adding your two shots of the original bridge now displayed in the museum, I failed to get these side shots as we wondered around discussing the actual engagement there capturing the bridge.

This is one shot I did get though of the bullet strikes on the counter-balance chamber on the rear of the bride, looking at the strikes I would say that they were directed at someone on the walkway to the side of the bridge.

post-344-0-61329100-1503152360_thumb.jpg

Great photo Ken, When I was there back in 99 and being a former pilot myself I just shook my head and said "how on earth did they ever find this spot, at night, and then drop 6 gliders right on this spot. Truly an amazing feat of airmanship and your view makes it even more remarkable. Thanks

Tom Bowers

Ken, Thanks for posting this aerial view. I agree with HBT coveralls; How the heck did they manage to land there? At night I would think the water would look like a smooth landing zone. Granted, the pilots are looking out for the water, but to be able to land so close to the water without going is incredible.

Hi

Another Then from Eindhoven ( I like this photo very much. There are several Then shots of seemingly relaxed paratroopers in good spirits).

attachicon.gifpara with folding stock carabine Ten Hagestraat.jpg

And here's the same spot today.

attachicon.gifSAM_2198.JPG

Rene

Rene, I can understand why you like the original image also. Very nice! Your then and now shot is very good too. It is interesting to see that he is wearing the M1943 boots instead of jump boots,

Hi everyone,

Today I went to Overloon to visit the Santa Fe Event. Around here Santa Fe is the name of a club of ww2 US vehicle owners and they usually organize a bi-annually event where they drive their vehicles around a track through the woods of Overloon. Visitors can also catch a ride in one of the vehicles . It was nice to see that several vehicles were driven by ladies but the star of the show was this german shepherd who performed his job as co-driver of a M20 Armored Utility car admirably. :)

post-169612-0-31426100-1503156355_thumb.jpg

Rene

Rene, I can understand why you like the original image also. Very nice! Your then and now shot is very good too. It is interesting to see that he is wearing the M1943 boots instead of jump boots,

Hi Beast, well spotted. Perhaps he is glider infantry?

Rene

Johan Willaert

It was nice to see that several vehicles were driven by ladies but the star of the show was this german shepherd who performed his job as co-driver of a M20 Armored Utility car admirably. :)

Driver is Bibi, not unknown to Ken... Her dog's name is Yehla...

Catching up on pages of posts here while waiting for my connecting flight home... Currently in Atlanta after a great trip in the US!..

You sure you didn't leave a limburger and fish sandwich in the bag?

Yeah, I just double checked to make sure. Thanks for my big laugh of the day!

Mikie

Hi Beast, well spotted. Perhaps he is glider infantry?

Rene

Possible glider riders

I was also fortunate to meet and interview a 508th PIR vet.He was a pathfinder.Normandy,Holland and the Bulge.

He said they wore "infantry boots" into Holland due to supply issues.Then while there they spot Officers and MPs in non airborne units wearing the boots.He said they had more to worry about from us than the germans...He stated some "altercations" too place and several MPs "lost " their boots ;)

Thank you everyone for posting these fantastic pictures from then and now.. This has been on of the greatest topics on our Forum..

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, I'm glad you like 'm :)

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for adding your two shots of the original bridge now displayed in the museum, I failed to get these side shots as we wondered around discussing the actual engagement there capturing the bridge.

This is one shot I did get though of the bullet strikes on the counter-balance chamber on the rear of the bride, looking at the strikes I would say that they were directed at someone on the walkway to the side of the bridge.

Hi Ken, I somehow missed those bullet strikes. Teaches me to look up at things more often.

I'd like to add one more picture that, in my opinion, highlights this amazing feat of flying. Each point where the three gliders came to rest is pointed out by a stone marker. If you walk to the one furthest from the bridge you can capture all three markers and the bridge in one picture.

post-169612-0-19105800-1503236137_thumb.jpg

Rene

Ken, this is especially for you since you seem to like the closed cab GMC trucks so much. Photo is taken at the Santa Fe Event this weekend. I also have a photo of another one but I'm a bit reluctant to post it because, believe it or not, the shovel on the pioneer tool rack had a canvas cover :o.

post-169612-0-44458500-1503240276_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Ken, Thanks for posting this aerial view. I agree with HBT coveralls; How the heck did they manage to land there? At night I would think the water would look like a smooth landing zone. Granted, the pilots are looking out for the water, but to be able to land so close to the water without going is incredible.

Hi Beast, as you may have seen by now Rene has added a photo showing the three markers detailing how close to the bridge that the three gliders landed, and as we all say a great feat during the hours of darkness. Jim Wallwork pilot of the first of the three gliders died March 2013 aged 93, and its stated that during the landing he was catapulted through the Perspex canopy and thereby claimed to be the first allied soldier to set foot on French soil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/newsobituaries/military-obituaries/army-obituaries/9941097/Jim-Wallwork.html

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 21 2017.

General Apathy

Thank you everyone for posting these fantastic pictures from then and now.. This has been on of the greatest topics on our Forum..

Leigh

Hi Leigh, pleased to hear from you again, and your enjoyment of the images, and that's a great comment thanks regarding the blog here on the forum. ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 21 2107.

General Apathy

Thanks Ron, I've only just started doing these Then and Now shots but I have to say it is becoming very addictive. :). Sometimes it is quite special to be in the same places 70 odd years later.

Rene

Hi Rene, your first post showed a petrol station in Venlo, I thought I had found a second photo of the same petrol station, however they are two different petrol stations in two different towns, yours is an Esso station in Venlo, my find is a Shell station in Nijmegen . . . . . . . . perhaps somewhere else for you to locate. ;)

post-344-0-84608400-1503316558_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

There were only 2 bits of militaria that I saw on the vacation in central Florida that would be of interest here. I spotted this outside the Indiana Jones ride at Disney World. Here is one...

attachicon.giftruck.jpg

Hi Mikie, there's an almost identical vehicle and display in the Paris Disney-World here in France.

General Apathy

Driver is Bibi, not unknown to Ken... Her dog's name is Yehla...

Catching up on pages of posts here while waiting for my connecting flight home... Currently in Atlanta after a great trip in the US!..

Hi Johan, well maybe I could say welcome home by now, yes I was pleased that Bibi joined myself and her father in Carentan last month for a meal.

General Apathy

Possible glider riders

I was also fortunate to meet and interview a 508th PIR vet.He was a pathfinder.Normandy,Holland and the Bulge.

He said they wore "infantry boots" into Holland due to supply issues.Then while there they spot Officers and MPs in non airborne units wearing the boots.He said they had more to worry about from us than the germans...He stated some "altercations" too place and several MPs "lost " their boots ;)

Hi Ron, some twenty years ago I was invited to a town reception in Nijmegen for American airborne troops. During the evening I spoke with one of the veterans and queried what uniform and equipment they were using by the time they arrived in Nijmegen. Twin buckle boots, M-43 uniform components were mentioned, I asked if they were still using the M-36 pack ( the M-36 designation not used by them ) however what he described and I saw in a photograph was the use of jungle packs, at the time I was astounded that ' jungle-packs ' were used in Europe.

General Apathy

Ken, this is especially for you since you seem to like the closed cab GMC trucks so much. Photo is taken at the Santa Fe Event this weekend. I also have a photo of another one but I'm a bit reluctant to post it because, believe it or not, the shovel on the pioneer tool rack had a canvas cover :o.

attachicon.gifDSC_5448a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, many thanks for the photo of the GMC and the earlier shot of Bibi driving the M-20. Hopefully I will go to the grave happy if by mentioning the canvas covers on vehicle shovels will lead to the demise of this post war attempt to dress vehicles up as Christmas trees adding an item that simply did not exist during WWII. ^_^

Hi everybody, time for some more Then and Now's. The first photo shows airborne troops walking down the Kerkstraat (Churchstreet) in Eindhoven. This street is adjacent to the Catharina church that is featured in post 10463. Again these men appear to wear buckle boots.

post-169612-0-18172900-1503329930.jpg

And this is the same place today. As you can see the Kerkstraat has been widened considerably.

post-169612-0-46345500-1503330128_thumb.jpg

(the writing on the beer truck translates as 'discover and enjoy' ^_^ )

Rene