2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0018.JPG

#10552 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

Hi everyone,

Here are some more Venlo Then and Now photos. Have to admit it is becoming harder to find the Now places because a lot of Then photos provide little reference points. But I wil persevere  :) The following shots didn't prove to be that difficult. 

This photo shows some more destruction in Venlo.

attachicon.gifOnze Lieve Vrouwe kerk A.jpg

This is the Now shot. Those pesky trees made it difficult to make a comparable photo from the same distance and still show the church. This is the best I could do. The church has been restored after the war and I think they made a good job of it.

attachicon.gifSAM_2141.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, yes difficult to find a location if the image you are working from is just a pile of rubble, either a house that survived the war, or a church are good points for finding the current location.  thanks for the latest images.  ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14  2017.

#10553 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

Ken

here is a recent find I will add to my match box of trinkets.I havent researched it yet but its a nice war time 1942 dated can for an istrument and made in St.Louis

may look good in your BBQ shack as a silver ware holder..... ;)

attachicon.gif2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0017.JPG

attachicon.gif2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0019.JPG

attachicon.gif2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0013.JPG

attachicon.gif2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0014.JPG

attachicon.gif2017_0811RAIDERUSMC0015.JPG

Hi Ron,  thanks for shots of your find,  never seen one before, nice and early dated and looks a substantial container, be nice if you could find what was actually intended to be preserved in it.

#10554 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 29,226 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi Ron,  thanks for shots of your find,  never seen one before, nice and early dated and looks a substantial container, be nice if you could find what was actually intended to be preserved in it.

Thanks Ken

have found little reference to the can on the web

Seems to be a few out there.Some claim batteries came in them and were for stowage in aircraft due to the sensitivity of the older batteries and possibility of explosion.Another said there was a mint navy gasmask sealed in one.Another  referenced a carburetor was found in one.

So maybe the number AN8029-42 is just a reference number for the can itself?A general purpose item for stowage and transport.

I was thinking since the can was marked sensitive instrument it may be electronic or aviation related.Possibly a gauge,radio or transmitter component or some type compass etc.

#10555 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi everyone. We just got back home. I see I have a bit of catching up to do. Love it! A mystery like what that can is for would drive me crazy. If you or anyone figures it out, let us know. Can you tell if the St Louis manufacturer's name is under the paper label? Could that give a clue?
Well that burned out the last of my brain cells. I look forward to looking at all the posts here once I get some food and sleep.
Mikie

#10556 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
    • Member ID: 169,612
  • 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 AM

Hello all,

Today in a months' time the 73rd anniversary of operation Market Garden is upon us. So maybe it will be fitting to do some Then and Now shots about paratroopers in Eindhoven.

This Then photo shows some 101st troopers accompany a lady nearby one of the many bridges across the Dommel in Eindhoven.

Kanaalstraat De Kapel.jpg

And this shows the same spot today

SAM_2193a.jpg

Rene

#10557 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Hi everyone. We just got back home. I see I have a bit of catching up to do. Love it! A mystery like what that can is for would drive me crazy. If you or anyone figures it out, let us know. Can you tell if the St Louis manufacturer's name is under the paper label? Could that give a clue?
Well that burned out the last of my brain cells. I look forward to looking at all the posts here once I get some food and sleep.
Mikie

Welcome back Mikie!

Rene

#10558 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,095 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:26 AM

Rene, 

Great photo. Is that a church behind them? 

...Kat

#10559 Dogsbody

Dogsbody
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Rene, 

Great photo. Is that a church behind them? 

...Kat

Thanks!   :) 

The building behind them was a orginally a chapel belonging to a nearby boarding school. It was built around 1924. At ground level it had a recreation room and the chapel was upstairs. Later it saw use as a college room for the Technische Hogeschool Eindhoven ( I don't know how to properly translate that :unsure:). Today it is still in use for oecumenical services and even concerts, I believe.

Rene

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (3)

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)