Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Another The and Now from Venlo. (Please let me know if it all becomes too boring. I don't want to overstay my welcome)

This is a M5 light tank surrounded by civilians in 1945. Some are even standing on the tank.

post-169612-0-73404800-1501876787.jpg

And this is the same place today

post-169612-0-07040100-1501876842_thumb.jpg

Rene

Another The and Now from Venlo. (Please let me know if it all becomes too boring. I don't want to overstay my welcome)

Rene,

I LOVE these photos! This week has been a little busy so I have not been able to add to this thread but I have been looking at your pictures. Keep them coming!

...Kat

This is a M5 light tank surrounded by civilians in 1945. Some are even standing on the tank.

attachicon.gifKaldenkerkerweg.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2135.jpg

Rene

That building has a very interesting design. It looks like part of a neighborhood with a common design theme?

Mikie

General Apathy

Ken,

Wonderful then and now pictures! I really like this one! You were a HUNK! You still are but dang you were a hunk!

...Kat

Hi Kat, well I am :blush: flabbergasted, not a comment I might expect to be given on a militaria forum . :unsure:

p.s. thanks again, and check ( cheque ) is in the post :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 5 2017.

General Apathy

Very cool

They were made to wear!!

One of the Harley girls looks to wear a para smock of some pattern.

Hi Ron, if I recall, Marianne was wearing a wartime British para-smock with post war conversion of full length front zip.

Norman D. Landing Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 5 2017.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, yes it was! I was in disbelief that it was actually there!! A shame I sold my BAR last year when I knew the new laws were coming out on de-acts in the UK... I also found a USMC UNIS marked M1923 marked cartridge belt in a 'junk pile'. Rare finds here in the UK.

I do remember buying items from you at the old 'Beltring'! Happy days!

Hi Graham, how well I remember you always trawling past looking for USMC stuff, probably the better days of Beltring show, nearly always the hottest week of the year in Kent.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, thanks for the photo ( and clue ^_^ ). By the looks of it you were in good company. Did you by any chance stay in touch with any of the ladies? If so we can maybe arrange a Now shoot in Eindhoven someday :)

Rene

Hi Rene, Lenny the girl to the right of me looking at the photo is still about and into military vehicle with her partner Lucas, saw them in Belgium in February when we did the winter rally with our Jeeps.

I believe friends saw them in the UK this week for the amphib-week on the river Thames, apparently there were sixty-four amphibious vehicles taking part, friends took their DUKW.

post-344-0-75906100-1501926192_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

attachicon.gifKaldenkerkerweg.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2135.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, great shot of Venlo and agree with Ron, Kat and Mikie who are also enjoying the photos. ^_^

Hi Rene, great shot of Venlo and agree with Ron, Kat and Mikie who are also enjoying the photos. ^_^

Hi Ron, Kat, Mikie and Ken. Glad you still like my Then and Now shots :).Thanks for the support.

Rene

Hi Rene, Lenny the girl to the right of me looking at the photo is still about and into military vehicle with her partner Lucas, saw them in Belgium in February when we did the winter rally with our Jeeps.

I believe friends saw them in the UK this week for the amphib-week on the river Thames, apparently there were sixty-four amphibious vehicles taking part, friends took their DUKW.

Hi Ken, great photo of your jeep. Its colour is very nice. I take it that you wear thermo underwear during that rally beçause frostbite can be a nasty thing :D ( Not that I have any experience for that matter............. ^_^ )

Rene

Hi Ron, if I recall, Marianne was wearing a wartime British para-smock with post war conversion of full length front zip.

Norman D. Landing Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 5 2017.

Ken,

You can spot a collecting addict when they can remember a military outfit someone wore years ago! HAHAHAHAHA!

....Kat

General Apathy

Hi Ken, great photo of your jeep. Its colour is very nice. I take it that you wear thermo underwear during that rally beçause frostbite can be a nasty thing :D ( Not that I have any experience for that matter............. ^_^ )

Rene

Hi Rene, well I have to say that I did buy a pair of ski thermal long-johns to wear on the trip. However I couldn't get used to the clinging nature of the material so I opted for a pair of 1980's British army surplus ' lightweight ' trousers, which are windproof and dry very quickly when wet, over which I wore a pair of Levi-jeans, its not obligatory to wear uniform on this winter rally.

I try to buy British army lightweight trousers whenever I get the chance, they wear and wash fantastically, owing to the British army no longer wearing these trousers a market for reproduction ones has occurred, but they are cheap cotton copies without the properties of originals.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 6 2017.

General Apathy

Ken,

You can spot a collecting addict when they can remember a military outfit someone wore years ago! HAHAHAHAHA!

....Kat

Hi Kat, in my defence and to prove I am not an anorak or rivet-counter, I might not have recalled what the jacket was, had it not been worn by a woman . . . . . . . . . :lol:B)

Hi Kat, in my defence and to prove I am not an anorak or rivet-counter, I might not have recalled what the jacket was, had it not been worn by a woman . . . . . . . . . :lol:B)

or what is not worn

General Apathy

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, well OK you caught me out :o, being a collecting addict I spotted this Jeep with a non-standard Jeep windscreen in a documentary about the battle for Bastogne, note the MP on the left checking the occupants for Germans shock troops wearing American uniforms . . . . . .

The wing mud extensions were a fairly common addition by this period of wartime.

post-344-0-93988500-1502032048_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, well Ok you caught me out as a rivet-counter :unsure:, watching a documentary about the battle for Bastogne, I spotted the civilian car steering wheel that had been added to this Jeep . . . . . . . . :huh:

post-344-0-50031000-1502032484_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

or what is not worn

Steady there Robert, a little decorum please, you're pushing the boundaries of propriety a little . . . . . . . :lol:;)

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now, Carentan children and Army Nurse . . . . . . . . . .

So I don't have a lot of detail for this shot other than the Army Nurse sharing candy or such with local children.

post-344-0-53652400-1502051820_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now, Carentan children and Army Nurse . . . . . .

Note that in the original wartime shot it is a wooden pillar behind the Nurse, that has recently been replaced with a stone column supporting the open archway.

post-344-0-06014300-1502052093_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, some more Then and Now shots from Venlo.

First up a couple of jeeps at the Stalberg road

post-169612-0-37018700-1502227284_thumb.jpg

And the same place today

post-169612-0-79177600-1502227393_thumb.jpg

Rene

The next photo shows my favourite parking spot Then ;)

post-169612-0-61298800-1502228895_thumb.jpg

It is virtually impossible to make a Now shot from the same angle. If you imagine this to be 1945, the 'parking spot' would be to your right where now a row of houses is standing. You can, however, recognise the shape of some of the buildings on your left.

post-169612-0-99497000-1502229151_thumb.jpg

Rene

Ken,

Great eye to notice the small jeep modifications in a documentary! I have never seen the mud flaps or a civilian steering wheel.

I also love the picture of the nurse! Wonderful picture!

...Kat

It is virtually impossible to make a Now shot from the same angle. If you imagine this to be 1945, the 'parking spot' would be to your right where now a row of houses is standing. You can, however, recognise the shape of some of the buildings on your left.

Rene

Rene,

If I am seeing this correctly, it looks like the house in the "now" picture with the really tall roof and solar panels on it is in the "then" picture on the right side.

...Kat

Rene,

If I am seeing this correctly, it looks like the house in the "now" picture with the really tall roof and solar panels on it is in the "then" picture on the right side.

...Kat

I agree.

Be a sight to have all those shermans in your yard :D