• Please log in to reply
10064 replies to this topic

#10051 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 9,093 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

It looks like the same angle in both pictures, just the distance is different.  Man, that soldier looks young! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks, not difficult really as the island is out at the end of a finger of land there's only one approach to the island, so 99% of all shots of the island are from the spot.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Correspondent, May 26  2017.

#10052 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

Blast from the past . . . . . . . . .  1980

opened up my emails this morning to find this photo from one of the crew in the photo, taken aboard my old GMC at a 1980 show when we all went as a Seabees construction crew.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 26  2017.

Attached Images

• forum Lewis's GMC Seabees 1980.jpg

#10053 American Graffiti

American Graffiti
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,617
  • 554 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:25 AM

Hi ken,

Great posts recently, all your Normandy finds and the then & now shots, thanks for taking the time. As for the last one…looks like the Seabees meet the Village People :D  :huh: Of course you must be gearing up to the 6th as well, which seems to hurry round every year.

Your garden looks great and love the very sympathetic use of reclaimed 'stuff' keep up the good work,

All the best

AG

#10054 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Hi ken,

Great posts recently, all your Normandy finds and the then & now shots, thanks for taking the time. As for the last one…looks like the Seabees meet the Village People :D  :huh: Of course you must be gearing up to the 6th as well, which seems to hurry round every year.

Your garden looks great and love the very sympathetic use of reclaimed 'stuff' keep up the good work,

All the best

AG

Hi AG,  thanks for compliments of the garden and use of reclaimed materials, and the then and now shots. I promise not to pass onto the Seabee crew your address, we will overlook the Village people comment at this time ^_^

You are right it's gearing up for the anniversary, today not a spare spot to park the car at the supermarket, and Ste Mere Eglise is overflowing, a lot of vintage military vehicles here already, there's a militaria fair in Picauville on Sunday morning.

#10055 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Jeep rebuild progress report . . . . . . . .

my friends restoration of his children's Jeep pedal cars is on going, they have been sand-blasted and some repair of dings and dents is happening before painting.

Attached Images

• forum Jeep rebuild progress.JPG

#10056 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 6,975 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:11 PM

Jeep rebuild progress report . . . . . . . .

my friends restoration of his children's Jeep pedal cars is on going, they have been sand-blasted and some repair of dings and dents is happening before painting.

Oh man! He has 3 Jeep pedal cars! I would LOVE just one. They are looking good! 

...Kat

#10057 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 442 posts

Posted Today, 09:35 AM

Cool jeeps! Be sure to show us what they look like when they are done. I find that rock wall in the background interesting. I guess I'm just used to seeing sheet rock in a garage or whatever that place is. I like that window too.
Mikie

#10058 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 13,822 posts

Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Hi Rusty,  here's an incomplete rare German style of jerrycan spout, it has been ground dug post war, can't say I have ever seen one in the flesh before or for sale, hopefully someone somewhere has a decent example.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 23  2017.

Hi Ken,

That is very interesting, that is not something I have ever seen. I wonder if they were considered less utilitarian, and thus were left to lay where they were.

Regards,

RC

#10059 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 13,822 posts

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

Hi Ken,

I think you could open a warehouse that specialized in renting out unique 'oddities' to set dressers for film and television productions. You don't have to know what it was for, to know that it is unique. It is kind of funny that none of us may know exactly what they were designed for, but we all dislike the idea of it being melted down for scrap. :lol:  Of course the truth is simply that we can admire and appreciate the work of talented people and factories, both long gone in many cases.

Regards,

RC

#10060 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

Cool jeeps! Be sure to show us what they look like when they are done. I find that rock wall in the background interesting. I guess I'm just used to seeing sheet rock in a garage or whatever that place is. I like that window too.
Mikie

Hi Kat and Mikie,  I will keep you both informed with future updates on the Jeeps, they will probably be on the back-burner now until after all the anniversary celebrations are over. ;)

The building is an old barn at the rear of his property, a concrete floor has been poured over the old traditional dirt floor, and that's a modern UPVC plastic window cut into the wall for daylight.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 27  2017.

#10061 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Today, 01:05 PM

Hi Ken,

I think you could open a warehouse that specialized in renting out unique 'oddities' to set dressers for film and television productions. You don't have to know what it was for, to know that it is unique. It is kind of funny that none of us may know exactly what they were designed for, but we all dislike the idea of it being melted down for scrap. :lol:  Of course the truth is simply that we can admire and appreciate the work of talented people and factories, both long gone in many cases.

Regards,

RC

Visiting an English friend over here this week I took the opportunity to photograph a heavy cast-iron sewerage drain cover being used as a step outside the shower cubicle.  Any British forum readers will recognise the name on this cover as the premier British purveyor of the flush toilet in the late 1800's Thomas Crapper, a shortened version of his surname became a  colloquialism for a visit to the toilet . . . . . . . . . . . and still often used today.  :lol:  genuine examples of one of his toilet bowls can command several thousand of pounds now if possible to find one. 

Attached Images

• Forum Thomas Crapper shower step.JPG

#10062 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Today, 01:22 PM

Replacing ' American Thatch ' . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have mentioned this before but will repeat it again to help set the scene of this post. After D-Day and around the end of the war the American government through the use of the US Army supplied tons of corrugated steel to replace or repair bomb damaged roofs of French houses and buildings, this corrugated steel became known as American thatch as it was being used to replace many thatched roofs.

So Thursday I spent the day helping friends remove the American Thatch and replace with slate tiles on an old barn they are restoring for use as a holiday home.  When they bought the barn several years ago up in the rafters they recovered an old American M-42 jacket hanging from a nail, probably left by one of the engineers fitting the corrugated steel roof, along with the jacket they recovered a pick-mattock.

A lot of the old mud wall is being covered over with cinder blocks which will ultimately be cement rendered.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 27  2017

Attached Images

• Forum tin roof barn (1).JPG

#10063 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 9,093 posts

Posted Today, 01:27 PM

Relacing ' American Thatch ' . . . . . . . . . . .

here's the opposite side of the building that I helped with by replacing with slate tiles.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 27  2017.

Attached Images

• Forum tin roof barn (2).JPG

#10064 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 13,822 posts

Posted Today, 04:19 PM

Visiting an English friend over here this week I took the opportunity to photograph a heavy cast-iron sewerage drain cover being used as a step outside the shower cubicle.  Any British forum readers will recognise the name on this cover as the premier British purveyor of the flush toilet in the late 1800's Thomas Crapper, a shortened version of his surname became a  colloquialism for a visit to the toilet . . . . . . . . . . . and still often used today.  :lol:  genuine examples of one of his toilet bowls can command several thousand of pounds now if possible to find one. 

Hi Ken,

Now that is quite a conversation piece, and not something you would expect to survive all these years.

Regards,

RC

#10065 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 28,607 posts

Posted Today, 05:25 PM

Love the "crapper" step...lol

That's quite a project placeing the tiles on the roof.Im sure its not inexpensive either.Will look great though.

Edited by doyler, Today, 05:26 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

henrikson1487

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)