Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

So they go Commando, camo style... ;-)

Johan, possibly some naked truth to that comment . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2017.

General Apathy

BRILLIANT! The writings of Shakespeare would be much more fun to read if he had written like you.

Beast,

to be or not to be (without your prompt )

that would be the question.

thanks ;)

General Apathy

Mikie, I think you and Ken are describing the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurants. This was a chain of theme restaurants that were around the US. Here are a few photos that I found on-line. I had eaten a couple of these restaurants in the 1990s and the food was good, but as Mikie said, they were pricey.

attachicon.gif94th aero 2.jpg

Hi Beast, thanks for locating the two photos to show the restaurant chain we were speaking of.

Couple of questions come to mind, after eating the couple of restaurants in the 90s did you have room left for dessert, and full of admiration of your capacity to eat a couple of restaurants, have you ever eaten since . . . . . :lol:

( sorry my friend, couldn't resist that, re-read your text above . . . . . . . . ^_^ )

Simon Lerenfort

Quick, add something military related before everyone forgets its a militaria forum . . . . . . . .

So wartime cafe' up-date . . . . . . . . . .

Back on page 393, post # 9801, I showed a wartime cafe' with US troops taking five sat outside the front, post war the cafe' became a private house and the front stone walls were cement rendered. Approximately six months ago the house was put up for sale, the new owner has chipped off all the cement render exposing the original stonework looking the same as it did in WWII. I passed there this week and he has also added a copy of the original WWII café sign to the front of the building.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2017.

Good for them, obviously people of great taste and decency.

Simon Lerenfort

interestingto know if it's still loaded with a live round

Bolt is missing. Having said that I found an ex 12ss K98 with a cartridge jammed into the breech and the bolt was also missing, so anything is possible. And yes it would clean up ok after some sand blasting.

Great find!

General Apathy

good for them, obviously people of great taste and decency.

Hi Simon, it's an English chappie named Andy that bought it, and currently renovating it .

General Apathy

Bolt is missing. Having said that I found an ex 12ss K98 with a cartridge jammed into the breech and the bolt was also missing, so anything is possible. And yes it would clean up ok after some sand blasting.

Great find!

Hi Simon, thanks for adding detail and suggestion of cleaning, I haven't heard so far as to what degree Alex is going to clean it from how it appears now. If he sends photos I will add them here.

Hi Beast, thanks for locating the two photos to show the restaurant chain we were speaking of.

Couple of questions come to mind, after eating the couple of restaurants in the 90s did you have room left for dessert, and full of admiration of your capacity to eat a couple of restaurants, have you ever eaten since . . . . . :lol:

( sorry my friend, couldn't resist that, re-read your text above . . . . . . . . ^_^ )

Ken, After eating a restaurant, I then devour a bakery for dessert! They don't call me Beast for nothing! You should have seen what Godzilla and I did to Tokyo when I was in the mood for Japanese! :D

Johan Willaert

Ken,

Another good catch phrase for the June BBQ would be:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..." LOL...

I had never been a big fan of Shakespeare when I was young but all that changed when I saw the late 1980s movie 'Henry V' with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson... Absolutely loved it...

Hi Simon, it's an English chappie named Andy that bought it, and currently renovating it .

It is great to see the new owners putting in the work to restore this building. Is it their home or is it a business?

So many new posts going in so many directions, I can't decide which to reply to first. We've got The Bard of Normandy, interior and exterior decoration, fine dining, relics, and historic restoration all going on at the same time. My few brain cells are confused, but very happy.

Mikie

General Apathy

So many new posts going in so many directions, I can't decide which to reply to first. We've got The Bard of Normandy, interior and exterior decoration, fine dining, relics, and historic restoration all going on at the same time. My few brain cells are confused, but very happy.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for pointing out all the different and possibly interesting directions we are currently going in, this is the dialogue that I was requesting a few pages back, as at the time I felt it was in danger of becoming a boring monologue. :huh:

And you finish with the line ' my few brain cells are confused but happy ', pleased to say that makes two of us, so thanks to everyone that has joined in or come on-board in the last month, let the dialogue continue. :lol:

General Apathy

Ken, After eating a restaurant, I then devour a bakery for dessert! They don't call me Beast for nothing! You should have seen what Godzilla and I did to Tokyo when I was in the mood for Japanese! :D

Hi Beast, good to hear you have a large and healthy appetite, I enjoyed the Japanese meals in the US, the ones where you sit around the chefs hot plate and its all cooked in front of you.

Last Saturday night a bunch of us ( people that is, not grapes ) went ten pin bowling and followed up with an eat all you can Chinese buffet, great night.

General Apathy

Ken,

Another good catch phrase for the June BBQ would be:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..." LOL...

I had never been a big fan of Shakespeare when I was young but all that changed when I saw the late 1980s movie 'Henry V' with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson... Absolutely loved it...

Hi Johan, yes it's amazing how one nude scene can turn a young mans mind, funny really, I never recall Kenneth Branagh naked in that production.

Moving on, ' Once more unto the beach dear friends, once more unto the beach, twill be the seventy-third year this year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

It is great to see the new owners putting in the work to restore this building. Is it their home or is it a business?

Hi Beast, not certain yet what the proposed use will be for the house, as and when I hear more I will add it here.

General Apathy

Time for another photo . . . . . . . . . however

sadly I will be unable to produce a current image for this scene as the whole cemetery was closed in 1947 and there is insufficient building detail to home in on, however I thought the shot would be of interest,

.And as the bard may once have said, ' time for ye olde bed, me-thinks '.

post-344-0-18766900-1493158901_thumb.jpg

sadly I will be unable to produce a current image for this scene as the whole cemetery was closed in 1947 and there is insufficient building detail to home in on, however I thought the shot would be of interest,

Ken,

Interesting photo. Makes me wonder how many Americans are buried over there even in small cemeteries. I know some came home after the war but I am sure a majority are still over there.

...Kat

Interesting picture. I was to young to remember but I was shown a grave years later of a family friends son. It was covered with a marble slab with his picture in Uniformed mounted on it. My mother stated he was their only son and they had him removed from a cemetery over seas and brought home

Mikie, I think you and Ken are describing the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurants. This was a chain of theme restaurants that were around the US. Here are a few photos that I found on-line. I had eaten a couple of these restaurants in the 1990s and the food was good, but as Mikie said, they were pricey.

attachicon.gif94th aero 2.jpg

Hi Beast, yes, that was the name of the place. Thanks! To steal from those old tuna commercials, did the place have good taste, or did it taste good?

Mikie

Hi Beast, yes, that was the name of the place. Thanks! To steal from those old tuna commercials, did the place have good taste, or did it taste good?

Mikie

Mikie,

I would lean towards good taste. I remember the décor more than the food!

The Golden Gate National Cemetary is about 50 miles up the highway from here. My buddy and I try to get up there every year or two. It is a very moving and humbling experience.

https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/goldengate.asp

Mikie

Hi Johan, yes it's amazing how one nude scene can turn a young mans mind, funny really, I never recall Kenneth Branagh naked in that production.

Moving on, ' Once more unto the beach dear friends, once more unto the beach, twill be the seventy-third year this year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Some good ones here, so here is my contribution..."Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash this BBQ sauce clean from my hands...and face...and clothes?"

Neptune ties into the D-Day thing too.
Mikie

• 2 weeks later...

It's the wrong beach, and they were going the opposite way, but I just saw a trailer for the new movie "Dunkirk". It looks very impressive. I wanted to post the link, but it isn't cooperating. It's on Youtube. Has anyone been up that way? Is there much relating to the evacuation to see there?

Mikie

Johan Willaert

There is a small museum and a couple of memorials.... Lots of old buildings with scars of the battle remain, but unless you know what you are looking at, not that muchto be seen...

I live about 40mls from Dunkirk...

Should you visit the northern part of France; there's also an interesting museum not that far from Dunkirk, in a place called Saint-Omer. The Germans used to launch their V1/V2 rockets there, aimed at London, from an impressive (underground) structure that is definitely worth seeing.

I happen to have a locally published book that contains some very rare (color) footage relating to the evacuation. The Brits left so much stuff behind that it even impressed the locals. Should you be interested in it, feel free to send a PM.