Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken,

I have never seen a 4 wheel steer jeep. That is way cool ! Could they turn on a dime?

...Kat

Hi Kat, from what little that is written about them, even a small turn at speed was a dangerous manoeuvre and could lead to flipping over if too tight a curve.

Nice to see one exist though.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 17 2017.

General Apathy

fashion returns to Paris August 44 . . . . . . .

Hi Kat, this one might interest you, the Germans had only just been tossed out the city and the fashion industry was blooming again . . . . . . . got a couple more to add tonight and interesting as they used abandoned vehicles as backdrops.

post-344-0-73471100-1489762224.jpg

Hi Beast, I was reading through a topic last night about beards and facial hair in the American forces mainly WWII orientated, and there was a photo of your father you posted with beard, served in the 94th I see. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more how much better the building looks without all that plasterwork and paint on the outside, I do wonder if the new owner will go the whole hog and replace the door and windows to the same patterns as the WWII ones, including a fan-light door frame, adding a representation of the original café sign would look good.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 16 2017.

Hey Ken, Yep, my dad was a medic in the 94th. IIRC, that photo was taken when they were in Brittany. My dad always called it "BrittanyFrance" as if it was one word. I have photo of a friend of his from the same unit taken around the same time where he is wearing a beard and a cross of Lorraine.

I think it would be great if the new owner of the building would also recreate and hang the café sign.

Hi Johan, oopps appeared to have overlooked this photograph showing a number of your bayonets and rifles, a very nice and varied selection covering early to late WWII . . . . . . . . . . . .

won't be many months and you will be in the area again no doubt, will have to fire up the BBQ shack again.

Historic then and now pictures, jeeps, and relics are all well and good, but...BBQ! Oh man!

Mikie

General Apathy

Hey Ken, Yep, my dad was a medic in the 94th. IIRC, that photo was taken when they were in Brittany. My dad always called it "BrittanyFrance" as if it was one word. I have photo of a friend of his from the same unit taken around the same time where he is wearing a beard and a cross of Lorraine.

I think it would be great if the new owner of the building would also recreate and hang the café sign.

Hi beast, you should have added a photograph of your father with your post . . . . . . . still can if you want, do you have any other shots of your father in uniform.

General Apathy

Historic then and now pictures, jeeps, and relics are all well and good, but...BBQ! Oh man!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, oh man BBQ ! here's a shot from last October's barbeque, twenty-five friends nearly all collectors in one form or another, should only be a few weeks and it will be warm enough to have the first one of this year . . . . yum-yum

post-344-0-26743500-1489775843_thumb.jpg

Hi beast, you should have added a photograph of your father with your post . . . . . . . still can if you want, do you have any other shots of your father in uniform.

Glad to! I've posted these two elsewhere on the forum, but it show the difference 1 year can make. This is my father in the spring of 1943. He is home on leave before they shipped over to England.

post-203-0-11444500-1489776676.jpg

This is what he looked like in December 1944.

post-203-0-40059400-1489776686_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Glad to! I've posted these two elsewhere on the forum, but it show the difference 1 year can make. This is my father in the spring of 1943. He is home on leave before they shipped over to England.

attachicon.gifHOME_PHOTO_redited.jpg

This is what he looked like in December 1944.

attachicon.gifCHAS_EASTES_DEC_1944_EDITED_2.jpg

Hi Beast, thanks for adding the photos, strangely the shot with the moustache seems so familiar and contemporary as if your father is someone I should know, perhaps it's because I have seen it posted before, great shot.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 18 2017.

General Apathy

Fashion returns to Paris August 1944 . . . . . . . .

A Parisian model posing in front of a captured pre-war Renault tank, now standing abandoned in Paris. Quite funny how quickly normality occurred and commerce re-started again.

post-344-0-87249300-1489830488_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Fashion returns to Paris August 44 . . . . . . . . . .

Another woman modelling new designs against the background of a German VW Schwimmwagen in a Parisian street. far from being abandoned this Schwimmer has probably been commandeered by members of the armed forces.

post-344-0-56716900-1489849914_thumb.jpg

American Graffiti

Hi Ken,

so great to see new then and now shots, Paris fashions, Jeeps..all the good things in life.

The Normandy farmhouse looks so much better without the rendering, definitely a step (back) in the right direction!

Thanks for taking the time as always so we can all experience a little of what it's like in Normandy, hope the Winter wasn't too long and cold either, all the best

AG

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

so great to see new then and now shots, Paris fashions, Jeeps..all the good things in life.

The Normandy farmhouse looks so much better without the rendering, definitely a step (back) in the right direction!

Thanks for taking the time as always so we can all experience a little of what it's like in Normandy, hope the Winter wasn't too long and cold either, all the best

AG

Hi AG, thanks for joining in again, thanks also on the content I do like to if I can, mix it up a bit and keep it varied. I agree with you that the old cafe' looks better back to stone as it was originally built. Yesterday was a gorgeous summer day ^_^ I got the first cut of the year on the grass, today it's cold and grey maybe rain in the air, hope it's not the boundary of snow that New York has had this week which sometimes spans the Atlantic to this part of Europe. Think it's been four years without any winter snow. ;)

Still as I often say to people bemoaning the rain, ' you have to be alive to know it's raining ' :lol:

American Graffiti

Same over here recently, few amazing Spring days then cold and grey again, still won't be long before War & Peace again which is returning to the Hop Farm.

Keep up the good work,

AG

Simon Lerenfort

Apologies for jumping into your post Beast, but did your Dad take any photos when he was in England prior to going across the channel? I am assuming he was in 319th Medical Btl?

Simon Lerenfort

Hi Simon, welcome back, good to hear from you again, yes I am hoping that the reconstruction works well.

There has been some construction post war over on the left side since the original shot was taken, a bridge is there but it's not now visible if I did a comparison shot.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 16 2017.

Thanks for the reply Ken, not really been away, just been busy...

Best wishes,

Simon.

Hi Beast, thanks for adding the photos, strangely the shot with the moustache seems so familiar and contemporary as if your father is someone I should know, perhaps it's because I have seen it posted before, great shot.

Yes, me too. Wasn't that Beast's avitar a while back?

Al

General Apathy

Same over here recently, few amazing Spring days then cold and grey again, still won't be long before War & Peace again which is returning to the Hop Farm.

Keep up the good work,

AG

Hi AG, sounds like your heading to the Hop Farm show this summer, hope it's back to being a good show again. I remember back in the day when they used to have five thousand military vehicles attend. ;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 20 2017.

General Apathy

Thanks for the reply Ken, not really been away, just been busy...

Best wishes,

Simon.

Hi Simon, well it's good to know your still floating around here on the forum. Hopefully Beast can tell you if his father was in the 319th Med, would be interesting to hear more of his service. ^_^

General Apathy

Yes, me too. Wasn't that Beast's avitar a while back?

Al

Hi Al, yes I think it was for quite sometime, probably why it became so familiar. ;)

General Apathy

Fashion returns to Paris August 1944 . .. . . . . . . .

Well this is the last image I have of abandoned vehicles in Paris being used as backgrounds to fashion shoots, it's another shot of the abandoned pre-war Renault tank . . . . . . . . . . like the young ' well dressed ' guy playing on the turret, wonder what other items he found to play with in the streets of Paris as German troops surrendered or retreated.

post-344-0-19494600-1490006624_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

For the ' shoebox ' . . . . . . . .

picked up this enlisted man's raincoat last weekend at the local militaria fair, nice and supple doesn't show any signs of wear, fits a treat . . . . . . . . .. ^_^

At yesterday's flea market in Ste Mere a friend Mike bough a 1943 German Jerrycan to use on the rear of his Jeep, as he liked the look of the 1939 one I have on my Jeep.

post-344-0-50361600-1490007579_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

For the ' shoebox ' . . . . . . .

here's the data label for the enlisted raincoat I bought last weekend . . . . . . . .

post-344-0-52481900-1490007791.jpg

For the ' shoebox ' . . . . . . . .

picked up this enlisted man's raincoat last weekend at the local militaria fair, nice and supple doesn't show any signs of wear, fits a treat . . . . . . . . .. ^_^

At yesterday's flea market in Ste Mere a friend Mike bough a 1943 German Jerrycan to use on the rear of his Jeep, as he liked the look of the 1939 one I have on my Jeep.

Ideal for keeping the knees dry in the Jeep Ken! :)

For the ' shoebox ' . . . . . . .

here's the data label for the enlisted raincoat I bought last weekend . . . . . . . .

Wow, that looks brand new.