Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Ken...that's another remarkable piece of visual detective work. It's amazing how many structures survived the Normandy battles and look pretty much today as they did then.

Ian

General Apathy
Ken...that's another remarkable piece of visual detective work. It's amazing how many structures survived the Normandy battles and look pretty much today as they did then.

Ian

Thanks Ian, it does help with trying to identify things by trying to memorise and put buildings etc into two catagories of #1 pre-and WWII structures, #2 post WWII structures. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 01 November 2011

Ken, I need to start saving for that big trip to Ft Benning Rudi told me about last Sunday ;)

Film shouldn't be a problem for the next couple of years yet. Even though I'm sure Kodak's about to quit the market. Still a good number of manufacturers about like Ilford, Fuji, Adox, Efke, Fomapan etc etc.

Need to find the time to post-process about 400 more photos from the last tour and then I'll see about getting everyone a DVD, And the 1st Sgt has asked me to look into producing a photobook too.

Great bit of battlefield detective work with the USN sandbag bunker, sir!

General Apathy
Ken, I need to start saving for that big trip to Ft Benning ( 2015 ) Rudi told me about last Sunday ;)

Hi Rick, you and me both brother, you and me both, big project if it all comes off reverse invasion of sorts :lol::lol::lol: .

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 6 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1320604590.jpg

Utah beach half an hour before sunset this evening .....................

a very quiet and cold scene this evening, but fantastic beauty. ^_^

ken

Hi Rick, you and me both brother, you and me both, big project if it all comes off reverse invasion of sorts :lol::lol::lol: .

ken

whats happening at Ft Benning in 2015??? Robert

General Apathy

post-344-1320691917.jpg

whats happening at Ft Benning in 2015??? Robert

Hi Robert, mmmmhh sorry to say that that information is limited to members with ' bigot ' status. :unsure:

But being as I know you I will whisper it to you so others don't hear. ;)

If all goes well and all the detailed arrangements can be made in the next four years then an invitation has been extended to the 2nd armored in Europe group to ship all of our vehicles and members to Fort Benning for two weeks. Possibly fifty vehicles and up to two hundred personnel :thumbsup:

Funny how suddenly the membership of the 2nd armored has received many new applications. :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 7 November 2011

Peaceful........if one can ever associate that word with the Normandy beaches again ?

I agree! It looks so peaceful that it is hard to imagine what it looked like during the war and on D-Day.

If all goes well and all the detailed arrangements can be made in the next four years then an invitation has been extended to the 2nd armored in Europe group to ship all of our vehicles and members to Fort Benning for two weeks. Possibly fifty vehicles and up to two hundred personnel :thumbsup:

That is too cool! I certainly hope it all works out! ......Kat

post-344-1320691917.jpg

Hi Robert, mmmmhh sorry to say that that information is limited to members with ' bigot ' status. :unsure:

But being as I know you I will whisper it to you so others don't hear. ;)

Funny how suddenly the membership of the 2nd armored has received many new applications. :lol::lol:

ken

Where do I sign up?

General Apathy
I agree! It looks so peaceful that it is hard to imagine what it looked like during the war and on D-Day.

Thanks JS & Kat for seeing the beauty after such death destruction years ago. ;)

ken

General Apathy
That is too cool! I certainly hope it all works out! ......Kat

Hi Kat, so do so many others but it's four years away and a lot to sort before then. :blink:

ken

Hi Kat, so do so many others but it's four years away and a lot to sort before then. :blink:

ken

I could not imagine all of the logistics that would go into this huge undertaking!

Fort Benning is over 5 hours away but I would still make the trip just to meet you and others in person! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Where do I sign up?

Hi Robert, if it was down to the cooks and KP crew we could get you signed up now for the special low price of just eight bottles of JD. -_-^_^

Unfortunately membership forms aren't going out yet until the viability of the operation has been assessed, it's very early days yet it was only just discussed last week, the reponse from the existing membership so far is go, go, go. :lol:

ken

General Apathy
I could not imagine all of the logistics that would go into this huge undertaking!

Fort Benning is over 5 hours away but I would still make the trip just to meet you and others in person! :thumbsup:

Kat, we would expect nothing less :thumbsup: , and bring along some of the other forummers. :lol:

ken

Hi Robert, if it was down to the cooks and KP crew we could get you signed up now for the special low price of just eight bottles of JD. -_-^_^

Unfortunately membership forms aren't going out yet until the viability of the operation has been assessed, it's very early days yet it was only just discussed last week, the reponse from the existing membership so far is go, go, go. :lol:

ken

post-551-1320703319.jpg

Got two bottles out of wifes collection. Just have 6 to go OK. Robert

Well Ken, considering that I'm a 2nd armored guy and live about 4 hours from FT Benning I think it would be a blast to host all the boys over here for a change. How cool it would be to do a 2nd Armored event and not have to get on an Airplane.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy
post-551-1320703319.jpg

Got two bottles out of wifes collection. Just have 6 to go OK. Robert

Hi Robert, two things, first off that bottle on the right seems a little short on content, know what I mean. :thumbsup: Secondly there appears to be something wrong with your camera focus can you see how it has enlarged your hands whilst making the bottles appear so small. :think:

ken

General Apathy
Well Ken, considering that I'm a 2nd armored guy and live about 4 hours from FT Benning I think it would be a blast to host all the boys over here for a change. How cool it would be to do a 2nd Armored event and not have to get on an Airplane.

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, well it could be the shortest distance you have made yet to participate in an event of the 2nd armored, how much space do you have at the ranch in case we overspill the Benning barracks. :lol::lol::lol: and where's your wifes cooking at ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1320751068.jpg

post-344-1320751094.jpg

Cont.............. Then & now photos of La Haye du Puits

here's a couple that I achieved today in the village is La Haye du Puits, almost way over the other side of the Peninsula from Utah beach.

Difficult for the two shots to be compared easily due to rebuilding at the end of the war and more recent modern items that make up towns and villages now, parking, street signs, lights and such.

looking at the original, concentrate on the soldier on the left note the two chimney's and blank end of wall above his head. Then above his extended hand check out the red brick edged closely grouped windows of the one building this appears as the second from right in the comparison photo. Tthe low building to the left of these windows and then the taller building and chimney to the left of that, hope this helps fix the location. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1320751382.jpg

post-344-1320751408.jpg

Cont.............. Then & now photos of La Haye du Puits

the front entrance to the village church at La Haye du Puits, difficult to stand in the same spot as the original as this is now a major road traffic junction with much more and faster traffic than in 1944. :blink:

ken