Norman D. Landing

bilko1

...... where can you get a dog that could consume twenty gallons chilli con carne ??? :w00t:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 22 October 2011[/font]

The visual of the day after ain't too pretty either.... :yucky: :laughing1:

General Apathy

post-344-1319396554.jpg

Hi members and friends ...... something from the shoebox

Had a few minutes in the shoebox today and came out with this item a work coverall from the Grumman Aircraft company, maybe not too many of these still around now, made by the Criterion Uniform Co., Brooklyn, NY. Size 38.

Made in HBT material but slightly faded from laundering, above the front top pocket the initials ' P.Z. ' are embroidered.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 23 October 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1319397711.jpg

Hi members and friends ...... something from the shoebox

During my few minutes in the shoebox today I came out with this my parents kitchen radio made in bakelite which they had all through WWII ;) . On this radio they would have heard all the momentous announcements of WWII.

September 1939 outbreak of WWII, Dunkirk evacuation, Dieppe, Pearl harbor, Stalingrad, Sinking of HMS Hood and the Bismarck, fall of Bataan and Hong Kong, victory in North Africa, Battle of the Coral sea, landings in Italy and Normandy, Hitler dead, victory in Europe, the fight back across the Pacific islands Iwo Jima, Guadal canal, Hiroshima, victory in the Pacific, and many other announcements both good ones and bad.

This radio was in use everyday whilst I still lived at home in the sixties and seventies and for years after I left, sweet memories for me. :lol: :thumbsup:

My father was still using this radio as late as 2003 when he died, I don't recall it ever being repaired or such so it still has all it's original valves and other parts. Sadly it's difficult to now receive radio stations as a lot in Europe has gone digital and away from analogue.

p.s. Just remembered I recall the Viet-Nam reports being on there in the sixties.

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

Those are cool! Are the lettering and wing sewn on, or printed,(sewn I hope). Button up front?

Hi JS, all the emroidery is chain stitch, the front and cuffs are metal snaps, one top pocket and two very large and deep waist pockets, also side openings to reach through into trouser pockets.

ken

Hi JS, all the emroidery is chain stitch, the front and cuffs are metal snaps, one top pocket and two very large and deep waist pockets, also side openings to reach through into trouser pockets.

ken

Thanks........ :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Not forgetting ITMA Ken! :lol: Great stuff!

Ian

Hi Ian, I suppose my parents would have also listened to ' Workers Playtime ' which was broadcast to raise moral in factories and work places during WWII.

' can I do you now, sir '

ken

Hi Ian, I suppose my parents would have also listened to ' Workers Playtime ' which was broadcast to raise moral in factories and work places during WWII.

' can I do you now, sir '

ken

Ken...that radio is an art-deco classic. Belongs in the V&A!!

post-344-1319232423.jpg

Hi members and friends ...... photo from the shoebox

Across the bottom of my page it states

' Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus '

Well folks take a look at this photo of mine from 1989 this was the last of almost 200 Resistols goggles that I had and was preparing to pack for shipping to a dealer, I had bought them a couple of years prior around .50 cents a pair. :blink:

The store I bought them from had thrown away all the original shipping cartons ' as they were putting people off of buying them, no one could see the goggles inside the boxes ' when I questioned why.

I was also given some of their advertising leaflets they printed in the late forties, half-tracks £250 ( I think it was four dollars to a pound late forties ) Unused crated V8 engines were more expensive than a used halftrack at £350 :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 19 October 2011

Good evening Ken, I told you somewhere else on this forum that the european collectors community really miss you as a dealer and you just provide us with another evidence... Those goggles are really difficult to find in very good condition and you had more than 200... :blink:

Really like the bakelite radio also and the nice cute message of your daughter proud of her dad. As Kat says, definitely a keeper.

See you soon perhaps in Ciney?

Laurent M.

General Apathy
Ken...that radio is an art-deco classic. Belongs in the V&A!!

Sink me Sir, perhaps it is I that needs to be in the V & A museum. :huh:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 24 October 2011

General Apathy
Good evening Ken, I told you somewhere else on this forum that the european collectors community really miss you as a dealer and you just provide us with another evidence... Those goggles are really difficult to find in very good condition and you had more than 200... :blink:

Really like the bakelite radio also and the nice cute message of your daughter proud of her dad. As Kat says, definitely a keeper.

See you soon perhaps in Ciney?

Laurent M.

Bonjour Laurent, perhaps I was ahead of my time, maybe I should have found them after the 2nd Armored in Europe group was formed I would have had instant customers. :lol::lol:

yes the radio is a firm favourite of mine a strong memory of happy days and being cared for by my parents.

My daughter sent me a newer message by text just last week, on hearing of a recent exploit of mine she sent the message ' oh you mad-man, your not normal for a man of your age, Lauren xx '. -_-

Sorry to say that I won't be at Ciney, I am pet sitting for other friends for whom this will be their first visit, have a good show enjoy yourself and say bonjour to our friends. :bye1:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 24 October 2011

I remember hearing that story about the Resistal Goggles in 2004. I was OD#7 Green with envy...still am! ;)

I've owned two original ones since then. One was in pretty bad shape, frames were bent and the safety-glass was all frazzled. The other one had new lenses fitted but the rubber face part was black instead of gray. Which kinda put me off. Sold them both.

Now I only have an unmarked Canadian pair with chamois on the back.

Alas, my reproduction tanker goggles did not survive the Brittany trip when Pvt "Mary-Ann" trod on them on the last day :( *sigh*

No-Luck Rick ;)

General Apathy
I remember hearing that story about the Resistal Goggles in 2004. I was OD#7 Green with envy...still am! ;)

I've owned two original ones since then. One was in pretty bad shape, frames were bent and the safety-glass was all frazzled. The other one had new lenses fitted but the rubber face part was black instead of gray. Which kinda put me off. Sold them both.

Now I only have an unmarked Canadian pair with chamois on the back.

Alas, my reproduction tanker goggles did not survive the Brittany trip when Pvt "Mary-Ann" trod on them on the last day :( *sigh*

No-Luck Rick ;)

Hi Rick, sorry to hear that you went green :crying: on account of one of my collecting stories from the past, there are many other similar stories as well. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 October 2011

Johan Willaert
Sorry to say that I won't be at Ciney, I am pet sitting for other friends for whom this will be their first visit, have a good show enjoy yourself and say bonjour to our friends. :bye1:

Looking forward to seeing Allan & friend tomorrow....

See you in June then...

General Apathy

post-344-1319916724.jpg

well members and friends ...............

I know how difficult it must be for everyone that doesn't live here in Normandy to comprehend how much stuff that is still to be found here :think: . Maybe you might not believe some of the stories you hear so here's one straight from the local newspaper.

" Deux grenades retrouvees dans une dechetterie "

louder please " Two Grenades retrieved from the village tip " :fear:

I have deleted the actual story as it was all reported in French of course, and keeping it would have made the photographs smaller but the headline says it all. The story goes on to report how irresponsible it was to have tossed these into the metal container, Gendarmes were called to retrieve and dispose of the explosive devices.

ken

;)

post-344-1319916724.jpg

well members and friends ...............

I know how difficult it must be for everyone that doesn't live here in Normandy to comprehend how much stuff that is still to be found here :think: . Maybe you might not believe some of the stories you hear so here's one straight from the local newspaper.

" Deux grenades retrouvees dans une dechetterie "

louder please " Two Grenades retrieved from the village tip " :fear:

I have deleted the actual story as it was all reported in French of course, and keeping it would have made the photographs smaller but the headline says it all. The story goes on to report how irresponsible it was to have tossed these into the metal container, Gendarmes were called to retrieve and dispose of the explosive devices.

ken

;)

Hi Ken,

I heard the story. The most frightening part of the story is that the guy who did that was interrogated by the gendarmes (the French Military Police) and told them he had let more than 2 grenades in the dump.

So what did happen to the other ones? :fear:

Dan.

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

I heard the story. The most frightening part of the story is that the guy who did that was interrogated by the gendarmes (the French Military Police) and told them he had let more than 2 grenades in the dump.

So what did happen to the other ones? :fear:

Dan.

Hi Dan, a friend near Periers was telling me last week that a council workman cutting the grass along the road outside his farm uncovered a mortar round and reported it to the disposal people, three weeks later it's still sat there waiting for pick up. :crying:

As most people know everything stops for two hour lunch breaks here in rural France, another friend of mine near Vire was in a cafe having lunch and discussing some ordnance that had been discovered over two months before and remained uncollected :unsure: . One of the men at the next table leaned across and said ' it's o.k. we will be there this afternoon after lunch and pick that stuff up, we are the collection and disposal crew'. :w00t:

ken

Scary but funny stories.

Those remind me of the ordnance still found on the former WWI battlefields here in the Flanders.

Often you see unexploded ammo on the edge of the farmer's field waiting to be picked up by the bomb disposal unit (or the occasional tourist).

Erwin

When we lived in Belgium they were building new homes and roads all around us. In this one area a bunch of stuff fell out of the dirt. So I'm throwing this rusty glob on the street in front of the house, trying to break it open, when my Dad gets home sees me and freaks out. Runs over and confiscates my rust glob. It was a grenade. I'm lucky to be alive.

General Apathy

A then and now photo comparison .............................

Take a look at the link below to a topic started by Forum support, he posted a photograph of a USN sandbagged shelter taken on the beach in June 1944, in the photograph over to the right-hand side can be seen the chimney of a house.

As I drive around Normandy here I take note of buildings and other landmarks and so the day after the topic and photograph were posted I drove over to Utah beach and located the exact spot of the USN shelter from the position of the chimney which I has seen many times whilst living here and walking the beach. :think:

The comparison shots were added to Forum supports topic at post # 22, you will see that from that same area in the dunes I retrieved some small fragments of hessian used for sandbags. ;)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=125623&hl=

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 01 November 2011

General Apathy
Scary but funny stories.

Those remind me of the ordnance still found on the former WWI battlefields here in the Flanders.

Often you see unexploded ammo on the edge of the farmer's field waiting to be picked up by the bomb disposal unit (or the occasional tourist).

Erwin

Hi Erwin, just think that the farmers have been stacking that stuff along the roadside every week for almost the last ninety years, and the disposal people have been removing it weekly for all that time. :think:

ken

General Apathy
When we lived in Belgium they were building new homes and roads all around us. In this one area a bunch of stuff fell out of the dirt. So I'm throwing this rusty glob on the street in front of the house, trying to break it open, when my Dad gets home sees me and freaks out. Runs over and confiscates my rust glob. It was a grenade. I'm lucky to be alive.

Hi M, a person has to wonder how many deaths have occurred since the end of WWII due to unexploded ordnance laying around and being uncovered, 2011 and if I see any it stays where it is and gets reported, I don't fool with that stuff and I don't tempt my luck. :thumbsup:

Even a F*%t can go off sometimes when people least expect them and then your in the ..............

ken

General Apathy
:blink:

Beats my shotgun shell, hammer and nail story..... :ermm:

Hi Rick, even a camera could be deadly for you facing the wrong way on a highway taking a shot and a car gets you, but keep doing it you do get some good shots, start saving some film for the big one in 2015. :thumbsup:

ken