1st Mar Div Korea Patch...Middle Finger

Brig

I found this at the show today for 15 bucks in Raleigh, couldn't pass. It glows, I'm guessing it's newer, post Korean War. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Such as era? Thanks!

Fuck_Korea_Front.JPG

Brig,

Yours is a more current rendition of a patch that I have seen normally made in japan.I have not really heard of the true story behinde these.It is my understanding these patches were a reflection on how the Marines felt about there time spent in Korea.An old friend of mine who was a WW2 para marine and also served in korea wore one similiar to yours on a cap.He got it from one of the military magazines.The design is a play on the old First Mar Div patch.

I have also seen these with VIETNAM instead of Korea in the finger.Maybe Bob Chat will jump in and give us some more info on these.

RON

Brig- I hate to break the bad news to you, but the patch you purchased is brand spanking new and was probably purchased for $5. The original Korean war patches in this design are either bullion or hand made.

Brig- I hate to break the bad news to you, but the patch you purchased is brand spanking new and was probably purchased for $5. The original Korean war patches in this design are either bullion or hand made.

not bad news, really. Might have paid a few bucks more, but it's still a nice novelty

vintageproductions

From what I understand these patches started being worn in the late 40's and just pre-Korea. Most of the early ones you see will be on flight jackets. The early ones are usually bullion, Japanese machine embroidered, or Korean hand embroidered. These were totally un-official, and some Marine got in trouble for wearing them, but it really didn't stop anyone from wearing it. This patch continued to be worn through Vietnam and there are still variants today available. Have seen Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, plus a few others I can't remember right now. Japan & Korea seem to have been the most popular. Have also had Vietnamese made beercan di's with the same emblem. I agree with Matterhorn & Doyler, the one above is very current in manufacture, and can be found at gun shows & surplus shops. For some of the other newer types I would watch Ebay. The earlier ones I have seen sell for anywhere from $75.00 to $400.00. I usually have one or two of the older types in inventory, but this has to be the first time I don't have one, or I would post a photo. Hope this helps.

• 9 years later...

From what I understand these patches started being worn in the late 40's and just pre-Korea. Most of the early ones you see will be on flight jackets. The early ones are usually bullion, Japanese machine embroidered, or Korean hand embroidered. These were totally un-official, and some Marine got in trouble for wearing them, but it really didn't stop anyone from wearing it. This patch continued to be worn through Vietnam and there are still variants today available. Have seen Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, plus a few others I can't remember right now. Japan & Korea seem to have been the most popular. Have also had Vietnamese made beercan di's with the same emblem. I agree with Matterhorn & Doyler, the one above is very current in manufacture, and can be found at gun shows & surplus shops. For some of the other newer types I would watch Ebay. The earlier ones I have seen sell for anywhere from $75.00 to $400.00. I usually have one or two of the older types in inventory, but this has to be the first time I don't have one, or I would post a photo. Hope this helps.

I was looking thru some old National Geographic Magazines and I found in the October 1953 issue an article about the US Navy in the Korean

War. Lo and Behold there is a photo of a USMC pilot with this patch on his leather flight jacket.

post-113673-0-74768900-1512177854_thumb.jpg

Brig,

I hope you don't mind me adding my patch to your post. This one is machine made and cut edge. It seems like it might be an older one but I don't know for sure.

post-2843-0-03169300-1512180097_thumb.jpg