Heroes In Our Midst--a stutua report

Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

I have just finished proofing the first 200 pages of Vol I, Heroes In Our Midst. This covers the WWII Airborne, Paramarines, Pathfinders, Glider Troops, and Troop Carrier Command. Support material to amplify the text far exceeds expectations. My guarentee to the potential readers is that they will see material never before published! It is anticipated that Vol I will be released late June or early July. Vol II will be released in September. I'm currently in the finishing stages of Vol III, which will include the 10th Mountain Div, First Special Service Force, and all WWII Ranger units, and will be released early next year. I encourage anyone that might have material they feel appropriate for inclusion get in touch with me either via the Forum or at my email [email protected]. As release draws closer, I'll keep you informed. Jack Angolia.

I have just finished proofing the first 200 pages of Vol I, Heroes In Our Midst. This covers the WWII Airborne, Paramarines, Pathfinders, Glider Troops, and Troop Carrier Command. Support material to amplify the text far exceeds expectations. My guarentee to the potential readers is that they will see material never before published! It is anticipated that Vol I will be released late June or early July. Vol II will be released in September. I'm currently in the finishing stages of Vol III, which will include the 10th Mountain Div, First Special Service Force, and all WWII Ranger units, and will be released early next year. I encourage anyone that might have material they feel appropriate for inclusion get in touch with me either via the Forum or at my email [email protected]. As release draws closer, I'll keep you informed. Jack Angolia.

As far as PTO content in these volumes is concerned will Army forces be covered such as 11th Abn and 503 RCT, or just Marine paratroopers?

Jumpin Jack

In response to your question, the answer is yes. There is a chapter entitled "Post Invasion Operations" that includes operations in the Pacific of the 11th Abn Div and the 503rd. Unfortunately, in spite of their extensive training, the Paramarines never made a single combat jump during operations in the Pacific. Jack

• 4 weeks later...
Jumpin Jack

I can't believe the material that is being provided for publication! For example, two different Ruppert dummies, page after page of variation shoulder insignia, manufactured reversible army camouflage jump suit, a Marine jump suit here-to-fore never addressed, and I could go on. We have virtually every parachute badge manufacturer covered. I say "virtually" as we lack a Simco and a GP with "Sterling 800 GP". If you can help, I need a disc with front and back of these two badges. Each photo will be credited. Your help is greatly appreciated! My mailing address is:

LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W. 151st Terr., Leawood, KS, 66224. If any of you have any material that you feel would be appropriate for including in the series, please let me know. There is a very high probability that the Airborne series will increase to three volumes as Vol I and II are rapidly approaching 500 pages each. Regards, Jack

I am not a contributor but I sure would be interested in knowing when this book would be available.

Thanks.

Jumpin Jack
I am not a contributor but I sure would be interested in knowing when this book would be available.

Thanks.

Not everyone is in a position to contribute, and I understand that. However, if you message me your snail mail address, I will inform you when the book(s) are to be available as I will be providing a discount to all Forum members. Jack

Jumpin Jack

Thought the members might like to get some idea what will be covered in this series besides the historical aspect of the airborne related units. Here is but a small example of what will be shown:

1. Multiple variations of every known airborne related shoulder patches.

2. Every known parachute wings by manufacturer, front and back, to include occupations wings.

2a. Rarely identified parachute wing trimmings.

3. Factory made reversible M-42 jump uniform to include photo of period wear.

4. Paramarine gliders.

5. Early version (variant) of the Paramarine 1st pattern P1941 smock.

6. Period wear of the white tongue 101st Abn shoulder patch.

7. Lace-on leather ankle reinforcements.

8. Maj. Dick Winter's service tunic.

9. Complete Roster of the Airborne Test Platoon.

10. Extensive helmet coverage with unit markings

11. Discussion of the short-lived Airborne Infantry.

12. Detailed coverage of airborne gliders and glider personnel.

13. Period 101st directive relating to who carried what equipment, and where it was worn.

14. Numerous variations of the Certificate of Proficiency awarding the parachute wings.

This is just to name a few. When was the last time you have seen a battle dress belonging to a Canadian volunteer with the First Special Service Force?

I assure you that you will get your money's worth with this series. There is still time to input material for those of you who feel so inclined.

Jack Angolia

• 3 weeks later...
Jumpin Jack

Just finished proofing the chapter dealing with the Airborne Qualification Badge and Trimmings. This chapter alone is 70 pages, large format in color, Anyone have an idea what the Aerial Delivery trimming looks like? It's covered here. What did Gen. Yarborough give his son when he became Airborne qualified. That's discussed in this chapter as well. More status reports will follow. Jack Angolia

Jumpin Jack

I have just finished chatting with the publisher. Some good news/bad news to report. The good news is there is a large quantity of material coming in that is causing the chapters already finished to be stripped apart to add the new material. The bad news--as a result, the release date of Vol I is looking like September rather than July as previously anticipated. It's looking more as if there will be a third volume of the Airborne series. I'll keep you posted. By the way, Jake Powers sends his regards from Normandy where they are dedicating a statue to Dick Winters. Jack Angolia

• 2 weeks later...
Jumpin Jack

More news from the publisher. "Heroes In Our Midst" continues to grow daily thanks to the input from well establish-ed airborne collectors. "Forget September," comes word from the publisher. He is becoming very frustrated, in a good way, as he is having to hear chapters apart to include significant new material. If you saw an Armored SSI with an "Airborne" tab over it, would you believe it? It existed! Who would have believed the 82nd Abn Recon Co had it's own parachute oval? It did! It's looking seriously possible that the Airborne series will expand to three volumes. I'll keep you posted. Jack Angolia

Jumpin Jack
Like these....

post-342-1339812007.jpg

You put a smile on my face. Absolutely! I assume the dog tag is of a former member of the airborne tank unit. Any chance of using the dog tag? Anyone have a uniform bearing this SSI? Thanks! Jack

You put a smile on my face. Absolutely! I assume the dog tag is of a former member of the airborne tank unit. Any chance of using the dog tag? Anyone have a uniform bearing this SSI? Thanks! Jack

These all came out of the same case at a small gunshow.The seller stated they all came from the same source.He wasnt aware they were even military.I can only assume from his statement the tag goes with the patches as he had nothing else military.

• 1 month later...
Jumpin Jack

Frustration mounts, but as previously stated, in a good way. This past week alone was the input of over 1,000 photos! The 82nd Abn Museum has been most helpful. No longer is a Volume III a maybe. While September is no longer a possible release date, we do want to get Vol I out before Christmas. Vol II will follow soon after, and Vol III soon after Vol II. All three volumes should be in your hands by the end of 2013!.

I'm awaiting receipt of photos of the paradummy "Oscar" from the Eisenhower Museum. The paradummy that looks like a 3' scale of a paratrooper never existed during wartime, but rather was a movie prop for "The Longest Day."

I am still in need of period photos, uniforms, etc. for all related WWII Ranger units for use in Vol IV. Anyone providing input will be credited. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Jack Angolia

What, tentatively at least, will be covered in each volume?

Arranged chronologically? Maybe 1940-1944 in Vol I? 1944-1950 in Vol II?

Or maybe Overview: Development of Airborne Forces, Vol. I; Into Battle, Vol. II; Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment, Vol. III?

Do tell!

Jumpin Jack

Good questions, but difficult to answer at this point in time. What was scheduled for Vol I may very well find itself shifted to Vol II due to volume of material that will be covered in Vol I. Each volume will run about 500 pages. The entire series will be limited to WWII and immediate occupation. I am fairtly certain that Vol I will cover the development of the Airborne, training, the development of the parachute and Riggers, the Parachute Qualification badge/award certificates/trimmings, parachute helmets, shoulder and other cloth insignia, unit insignia, Paramarines and others. In subsequent volumes will be glider troops/gliders/glider operations, Pathfinders, Trooper Carrier Command, FSSF, tactical operations, unit awards, unit standards, paratroop unitorms and equipment, and so forth. To be overly simplistic, if it's airborne related, it should be covered in detail. Hope this answers your questions. Jack

• 1 month later...

Having just returned from a brief vacation, I received a current up-date on the status of Heroes In Our Midst. The publisher has been faced with such a preponderance of material input that he is having to completely redo the contents of Vol I. Many old time collectors/researchers have come forward to support the series. Since we want this book to be the best possible, and answer the challenge, "What can you possibly do that hasn't alrady been done?" this is a good and welcomed problem to have. It certainly looks as if Vol I will NOT be ready as the Christmas release. As before, I will keep everyone informed when a more timely date of release becomes apparent. Thank you for your patience, and your continued input. Jack Angolia

• 1 month later...

I have just finished proofing the helmet section of Vol I. It numbers 111 pages as it stands right now. Some fantastic pieces! I'm hoping that we'll see Vol I soon after the first of the year. I'll keep you posted. Jack Angolia

• 1 month later...

We're getting close to the release of Vol I of Heroes In Our Midst. Here is what I can tell you. Release will be no later than mid-February, 520 pages, more than 2,000 illustrations (more than half in color), table size format. The only unknown at this point is what will be the retail price, but I should have word within two weeks--no less than $79.95, and no higher than $89.95 plus postage. If you go to www.heroesinourmidst.net you can get a preview of some of the contents. Jack Angolia

We're getting close to the release of Vol I of Heroes In Our Midst. Here is what I can tell you. Release will be no later than mid-February, 520 pages, more than 2,000 illustrations (more than half in color), table size format. The only unknown at this point is what will be the retail price, but I should have word within two weeks--no less than $79.95, and no higher than $89.95 plus postage. If you go to www.heroesinourmidst.net you can get a preview of some of the contents. Jack Angolia

Opps! Last night I received the price fix on Vol I. Due to the size, weight and extent of color, the price has been fixed at $94.95 plus postage. HOWEVER, all Forum members will be accorded a discount price of $89.95 ppd. Those that have been so kind as to contribute to this work, or any part of the series, will be accorded an additional discount. Contributors will be guarenteed a numbered copy. Anyone wishing to order may do so directly with me at: LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W.151st Terr., Leawood, KS, 66224 or via www.heroesinourmidst.net Contributors, please deal directly with me or Jake. Jack Angolia

Everyone, first off on behalf of Jack & myself, Thank You for your interest and support of the Heroes In Our Midst series. Just to clarify, Vol. I is priced for USMF members as follows:

$89.95 for US based customers

$120.95 for Customers based in Europe from France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg

$133.90 for Customers from other International/Worldwide Countries.

The variance in price is simply due to the shipping costs. We do not and are not making any money off the cost of shipping. Every USMF member is receiving the same 10% discount however, we have no control over the sipping rates. We are working on solutions to multiple or bulk ship to the other International locations and if we can have a viable alternative, will pass the savings on to you. I hope that this makes sense and you can understand the price structure.

Again, Thank You for your support and we are confident that you will enjoy the series.

Jake Powers

Opps! Last night I received the price fix on Vol I. Due to the size, weight and extent of color, the price has been fixed at $94.95 plus postage. HOWEVER, all Forum members will be accorded a discount price of $89.95 ppd. Those that have been so kind as to contribute to this work, or any part of the series, will be accorded an additional discount. Contributors will be guarenteed a numbered copy. Anyone wishing to order may do so directly with me at: LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W.151st Terr., Leawood, KS, 66224 or via www.heroesinourmidst.net Contributors, please deal directly with me or Jake. Jack Angolia

To those who have contributed to the series, PLEASE order your books directly through me (see above address) so I can insure you get the suitable discount and a preferred numbered copy. Of the 500 numbered copies, Roger Bender (Publisher) gets 250, Jake gets 125, and I get 125. These won't last long! Thank you all. Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your orders and support! I will be sending out pre-order confirmation emails later today & tomorrow if you have not yet received one. Thank you again.

Jake Powers

www.heroesinourmidst.net

It is our pleasure to announce that Vol I of the series will be sent to press the end of this week. My best guess is the book will be available NLT mid-February. When the books arrive here, Jake and I will get together, sign the copies, and prepare them for mailing the following day. Vol I will cover WWII American Airborne Forces: Early Years, Training, Jump Wings, Parachutes, Jump Helmets, and Paramarines. Vol II will cover Troop Carriers, Glider Troops, Pathfinders, Service and Jump Uniforms. Vol III will cover Divisional and Unit Patches, Distinctive Insignia, Special Insignia, Equipment, Weapons, Unit Colors (Flags and Guidons), and Paper-Related Collectibles. Vol IV is undetermined at this time. Somewhere, either Vol II or Vol III, will be airborne tactical operations. Discounts, except to those who contributed or bulk orders, will be discontinued as of 15 February.

Jake and I wish to wish all members of the Forum a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday and a great New Year! For those of you who have already ordered Vol I of Heroes In Our Midst, just a note to tell you that the manuscript is at the printer as we speak. Numbered copies will be on a first come basis. Enjoy the holidays as I know you will certainly enjoy the book. Jack Angolia