WW2 USMC 4th Marine Division / Discharge Diamond

Doomula5000

Doomula5000

When I saw this on ebay I snagged it because I was always curious what kind of research would come back from a uniform with a white diamond discharge patch. The uniform is named A.L. Smithey and with a little research on Ancestry I found Archie Lee Smithey, also I found him listed on a transport ship in Hawaii. I sent away for his records and was amazed at what came back.

It turns out he was present at Midway during the Pearl Harbor attack and present for the battle in June then went on with the 4th Marine Division, 14th Marines and participated in three campaigns. After the Marianas campaign he was sent back home after a medical survey and soon given a medical discharge. Also in his file was a receipt for a purchase of a .45 pistol, thought it was kinda neat. Thanks for looking.

P.S. I'm looking for WW2 Wolf Brown 1/2 ribbons: Navy PUC, NUC, USMC GC, American Campaign, Pacific Campaign, American defense. Please PM me.

post-40960-1333312456.jpg

Doomula5000

I found the citation for Midway Battle

For its role in defense of Midway and in preparation for the battle, the 6th Defense Battalion (reinforced)--which included all the Marine ground defense forces, received the following Navy Unit Commendation from the Secretary of the Navy:

The Secretary of the Navy takes pleasure in commending the Sixth Defense Battalion for service as follows:

"For outstanding heroism in support of military operations prior to and during the Battle of Midway, June 1942. Assuming a tremendous operational and service load in preparing defenses of Midway against anticipated Japanese attack, the officers and men of the Sixth Defense Battalion carried on intensive night battle training, completed and installed underwater obstacles, unloaded and distributed supplies, emplaced guns and constructed facilities for stowing ammunition and for protecting personnel. Alert and ready for combat when enemy planes came in to launch high and dive-bombing attacks and low-level strafing attacks on June 4, they promptly opened and maintained fire against the hostile targets, downing 10 planes during the furious 17-minute action which resulted in the destruction of the Marine galley and mess-hall, equipment, supplies and communication facilities. Working as an effective team for long periods without relief, this Battalion cleared the debris from the bomb-wrecked galley; reestablished disrupted communications, and serviced planes, thereby contributing greatly to the success of operations conducted from this base. This high standards of courage and service maintained by the Sixth Defense Battalion reflect the highest credit upon the United States Naval Service."

All personnel attached to and serving with the SIXTH Defense Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, Reinforced, consisting of the SIXTH Defense Battalion, attached personnel of the Third Defense Battalion, 22nd and 23rd Provisional Marine Companies and "C" and "D" Companies of the Second Raider Battalion are authorized to wear the NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION Ribbon.

JOHN L. SULLIVAN

Doomula5000

I also found some good information about Battery "E" in the book "Marines at Midway" he served with them during the Midway battle.

Information is not available as to I-168's further movements until 0120, now 5 June. At this hour, gun-flashes were seen to the southeast of Sand Island, from the 6th Defense Battalion's observation post. Three minutes later, the 3-inch Antiaircraft Group of the battalion reported that a submarine was visible on bearing 110º, shelling the island. Within one minute, at 1024, searchlight No. 102 had picked up and illuminated the I-168, and Battery C had fired a 5-inch star-shell; by 0125, two 3-inch batteries (D and E, 6th Defense Battalion) and one 5-inch battery (B) were firing, with shell splashes going up close aboard the ship.

After firing eight rounds (all of which hit in the lagoon), the submarine submerged at 0128, having been the target of some 42 rounds of 3-inch and three of 5-inch. Although observers at the searchlight position claimed to have seen three hits registered by Battery E, it is definite that the target was not sunk,[48] especially as she in turn survived next day to deliver the torpedo coup de grâce to USS Yorktown.

Very Nice! Looks like he was discharged before Iwo Jima?

A very nice set with some great pedigree and White Diamond discharges are quite rare to locate on a jacket.

Leonardo

I'm not big on uniforms, but I do enjoy the research. You've done a nice job that really adds to the enjoyment of this piece! Good work. :thumbsup:

Doomula5000

"Looks like he was discharged before Iwo Jima?"

He was sent back home in late 1944 after Saipan / Tinian due to a medical survey and discharged in Early 1945. So he was lucky not to go on to Iwo Jima.

A great example as to why purchasing uniforms without ribbons or some story still pays off these days. I would rather pay $50 all day long and end up with a gem like this then spend hundreds on an already researched uniform.

Corpsmancollector

That is a real screamer of a tunic. White diamond discharge uniforms are hard enough to find on the loose anyway and your research is outstanding. What a tunic! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Will

• 1 month later...
Doomula5000

Thought it would be nice to add a picture of the uniform with restored ribbons for the anniversary of the Battle of Midway.

post-40960-1338949875.jpg

BelligerentBlue

Very nice set up. I have a 5th Marines WWII uniform I want to get researched and done up like yours. Very nice work!

devildog34

Great work, great research Alec hit it on the noggen! It's so exciting to research and resurrect the service these guys provided, when this takes place we may and very likely are the final link between their service and conscious memory to keep their sacrifice and valor alive and immortal. I also spent 8 years with the 14th Marines as a gun rock on a 155mm howitzer and later a platoon sergeant with a Himars platoon with the 14th Marines. These 14th Marine groups are special to me. Great find and even better research to honor this great Marine.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Doomula5000

Thanks. The research and history is the best part of this hobby. Making the memory of their sacrifice available for future generations.

Brian Dentino

Great research.....and that is one screamer of a uniform. Gotta love it when all falls into place and it takes its rightful place in the collection! :thumbsup: