• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 69,284
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

I recently purchased a WW2 magazine made by Risdon. It has the letter R stamped on top of the toe plate and it looks right. The spring and follower look original but the holes on the side of the mag do not line up with each other when looking thru them from one side to the other. In other words one set of holes on one side is higher or lower than the other side depending on which side your looking at. Is this telling me the Mag is a fake/copy or just a screw up when manufactured ?. Any input would be appreciated....

Edited by Harleyguy, 30 March 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#2 ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage
  • Members
    • Member ID: 45,626
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

The holes on my Risdon mag also do not line up 'perfectly'. I think they had bigger concerns than lining up holes back then.

#3 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

The holes in the side are to check how many rounds are in the magazine. I believe they were staggered on purpose.

#4 thorin6

thorin6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,546
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I've own quite a few WWII M1911 magazines, and I've always been able to pass a small punch from a hole on one side of the magazine to the other. When removing the follower and spring from the magazine, you depress the follower, put the punch through from one side to the other to hold the spring, and then shake out the follower. You can then remove the spring by putting your hand over the throat, pulling the punch out, and catch the spring and remove it (reverse to reinstall). If you can do that, the fact that the holes don't align perfectly isn't a problem. If you can't pass the punch from the hole on one side to a hole on the other side, the magazine may be suspect. Pictures would help here, but if your magazine is early enought to have the pinned base, then that would pretty much rule out a reproduction. If it has the welded base, then a close up of the R marking and the welding marks would help.

#5 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

M1.jpg

I've own quite a few WWII M1911 magazines, and I've always been able to pass a small punch from a hole on one side of the magazine to the other. When removing the follower and spring from the magazine, you depress the follower, put the punch through from one side to the other to hold the spring, and then shake out the follower. You can then remove the spring by putting your hand over the throat, pulling the punch out, and catch the spring and remove it (reverse to reinstall). If you can do that, the fact that the holes don't align perfectly isn't a problem. If you can't pass the punch from the hole on one side to a hole on the other side, the magazine may be suspect. Pictures would help here, but if your magazine is early enought to have the pinned base, then that would pretty much rule out a reproduction. If it has the welded base, then a close up of the R marking and the welding marks would help.

Here are a few photos. From what I can see everything looks like it should. I have taken the follower out by depressing it and putting a old metal dart thru from one side to the other to hold the spring. I just thought that the holes should line up perfectly with each other when looking from one side to the other like on my other WW2 Mags but maybe not on some mags.

#6 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

M1.jpg
Here are a few photos. From what I can see everything looks like it should. I have taken the follower out by depressing it and putting a old metal dart thru from one side to the other to hold the spring. I just thought that the holes should line up perfectly with each other when looking from one side to the other like on my other WW2 Mags but maybe not on some mags.

Attached Images

• M2.jpg

#7 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

More pics....

Attached Images

• M3.jpg

#8 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

More pics....

Attached Images

• M4.jpg

#9 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thought I would post one photo of my 1943 Remington....

Attached Images

• REM_1.jpg

#10 Harleyguy

Harleyguy
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

The other side. I need a better camera....

Attached Images

• REM_2.jpg

#11 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

I stand corrected.

I checked the ten .45 mags I have - six commercial & four GI, and all the holes line up.

I may have been thinking of the magazines for a different pistol, but I obviously didn't remember correctly and should have checked first before I opened my big mouth.

Mea culpa. :crying:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users