A Restoration in Progress, MG Sibley Mess Uniform

tsakers85

Well I recently acquired MG Alden K. Sibley's mess uniform on eBay and it is a beauty.

The uniform isn't in the best of shape but it displays well. There are some moth nips and the velvet on the cuffs is rubbing in places, but older velvet does this. I was afraid to send it to the cleaners due to the velvet so I went over the jacket with my owner Shark Steamer and it came out quite nicely.

The jacket is indeed named to the General and while the eBay listing said it was dated 1941, it actually appears to be 1961. You can see the issues with the velvet in the photos.

The general staff badge appears to have some age to it as well and I suspect is original to the jacket. I had a pair of older knots in my collection so I was able to quickly get those restored.

I was also able to secure a photo of Sibley in what appears to be his Special Evening Dress tailcoat, which is similar in form to the mess uniform. It appears that in addition to the Légion d'honneur, Croix de Guerre, Order of the British Empire, and Chuong My Medal 1st Class, he was also a member of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.

I have already purchased a mini Légion d'honneur and should be able to restore the minis with the exception of Chuong My Medal.

All in all, I am very pleased with this addition!

post-96964-0-33802900-1523036370_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-86855500-1523036373_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-57984200-1523036377_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-75203200-1523036382_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Jamecharles

Great find but at last the final value don't match the satation of the lot, i'm sorry about that , there was an old topic where we discussed it before the ending of the auction

GS

CNY Militaria

Considering someone else was willing to pay a buck less than the winner, I'd say that the final price is indeed the value of the lot. In an ever changing collectible market, the value is always whatever someone is willing to pay.

Jamecharles

i always consider the rarity of any lots and a mess dress dated 1961 is not so rare as a 1940s dated... that all !

but i understand you

Giancarlo

History Man
i always consider the rarity of any lots and a mess dress dated 1961 is not so rare as a 1940s dated... that all !

but i understand you

Giancarlo

You do have to factor in the fact he was an aide to FDR and the history with the coat.

Philip

CNY Militaria

I agree with History Man. Comparing this to a 1940's coat just doesn't make sense. Obviously a named GO uniform from the 1940's would have sold for more, but that is simply not the case here. The original poster here, and anyone who read the auction and did cursory research knew what this was. If I hadn't made several purchases just before this sold I too would have bid on it, and it would have sold for more than it did. So I think there is good value here.

It's sad because we all know the seller and that they most likely listed it intentionally as 1941. All that aside I am glad you picked it up and it looks like a great uniform that will display well.

Tyson

Jamecharles
It's sad because we all know the seller and that they most likely listed it intentionally as 1941. All that aside I am glad you picked it up and it looks like a great uniform that will display well.

Tyson

i Quote :) the seller was not Clear in his sale auction :(

i Quote :) the seller was not Clear in his sale auction :(

You are correct and the seller did incorrectly state 1941 on the date. But all things aside, it is a legitimate named piece and anyone with eyes can discern the year as 1961. (the seller we all know too well must be blind :w00t: )

• 2 years later...
Warwolf3693

Hi, We are interested in MG Alden K Sibley as we have a collection of his dating back to his West Point days all the way through his retirement. One special item is a 4 ft x 3 ft oil on canvas done of him in full uniform.post-153147-0-00691300-1401711937.jpg.

We also have uniforms including his West Point uniform and sword. Most interested in discussion on that and his West point scrapbooks.

• 1 year later...

Nice job! What is the red sash?

G

I believe that is associated with the Order of Malta Sibley is wearing around his neck.