• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

One of the other moderators and I have been doing a bit of chatting about seagoing marines and traded a few images back and forth. So, I decided to make a thread with a few of my dress blue uniforms that have shipboard qualification strikers or other seagoing attributes. It is important to note that not all uniforms with these types of strikers were to ship's detachment marines. Often marines in transit could earn these qualifications and sew them on to impress the women in port. So, without further chat here are some of my collection. Nothing too sexy but nice enough, IMO. Enjoy and feel free to comment or add!!

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

I'll start with my oldest 1st. A WW1 to early 20s era cross rifle PFC. This blouse has the shorter trunk as is often seen on early 20th century pieces and has no piercings for EGAs in the collar. Sadly the sleeve linings were removed long ago for comfort so no date or name. The PFC rifles and navy expert small arms striker are hand stitched.

Attached Images

• CROSS_RIFLE_PFC_2.JPG
  • CROSS_RIFLE_PFC_1.JPG

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

Two more views. The collar and a better image of one of the rank insignia. Note the golden tint to the threads.

Attached Images

• CROSS_RIFLE_PFC_4.JPG
  • CROSS_RIFLE_PFC_3.JPG

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Next oldest is a quartemaster dated 1921-22 piece obtained from a friend in California. Sadly moths or some other pest had some fun with it but it's unique strikers make up for that. A lot of sun fade on the fabric and no sign of any rank on the sleeves, so a true hash-mark private. The collar EGAs are '21 pattern.

Attached Images

• EMBROIDERED_PVT_1.JPG

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

The strikers. I know the bursting bomb is ordnance and the quartermaster wheel as well as the gun turret with number but I have no clue what the inverted V is. Any ideas? Take note of the embroidery and texture on the strikers.

Attached Images

• EMBROIDERED_PVT_2.JPG
  • EMBROIDERED_PVT_3.JPG

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

The other cuff.

Attached Images

• EMBROIDERED_PVT_4.JPG

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

The collar devices and hooks below the buttons to keep a neater look.

Attached Images

• EMBROIDERED_PVT_5.JPG
  • EMBROIDERED_PVT_6.JPG

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

And a very tantalizing clue to the marine's identity. Maybe this fellow can be discovered some day.

Attached Images

• EMBROIDERED_PVT_7.JPG

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

Next is a quartemaster dated 1930-31 PFC with a gun pointer 1st class rating. The emblems are American made '26 pattern enlisted pieces. Named to a Henderer. Note that the rating is the larger navy size instead of the smaller marine corps one.

Attached Images

• GUN_POINTER_PFC_1.JPG

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

A closer image of his striker and the collar EGAs.

Attached Images

• GUN_POINTER_PFC_2.JPG
  • GUN_POINTER_PFC_3.JPG

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

An interesting feature to Henderer's blouse is the hand sewn on brass hooks for his white leather belt and the staining from the belt. He also had extra hooks sewn into the front of his blouse for a more "ship shape" look.

Attached Images

• GUN_POINTER_PFC_4.JPG
  • GUN_POINTER_PFC_5.JPG

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Next batter is Sergeant Ostafski. No strikers or embroidery.....but it does have something very special about.

Sgt. Ostafski's uniform was a birthday gift from my wife so I am rather fond of it. It's worth pointing out that both of his hashmarks are for the same side. Odds are supply gave him two still together and he had to cut and use what he had. Again, American made Goonies on his collar.

Sgt. Ostafski marked his belt like a good marine should. He also did something else.......

A couple more images of the ports and duty stations he visited. Rather the well traveled man for his time!

Attached Images

• SHIP_SERGEANT_1.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_2.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_3.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_5.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_4.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_6.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_7.JPG
  • SHIP_SERGEANT_8.JPG

#13 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Next marine attained the rating of Gun Captain. He also had the navy "E" badge for efficiency, earning him some extra money each month. Sadly no name but since he was probably the only Gunny on the boat I doubt he was worried. The shooting badge is one of mine from my collection as is the belt. The blouse is quartermaster dated 1938-39. He was one of the last grouping of marines to wear ship qualifications, they were abolished after the war.

Attached Images

• GUNNY_GUN_CAPT_1.JPG

Edited by Jeremiah, 01 January 2008 - 03:09 PM.

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

His gun captain striker and E rating. The collar EGAs are standard '37 pattern pieces.

Attached Images

• GUNNY_GUN_CAPT_2.JPG

Edited by Jeremiah, 01 January 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#15 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

And the last one for now. This is a private purchase blouse to a PFC Williamson. 1937 dated collar EGAs and private purchase woven PFC chevrons. The ship's detachment SSI is an uncommon one to find on a uniform and is the American made woven type. His ribbons show 3 Pacific campaigns and a Good Conduct.

Attached Images

• SHIP_DET_PFC_1.JPG
  • SHIP_DET_PFC_2.JPG

#16 cbuehler

cbuehler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 643
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

At last some more Ships Detachment Marines! Thanks to Jeremiah. These uniforms are outstanding examples of what Marines wore in their true element as Soldiers of the Sea. Here is one of mine to contribute: PFC H. J. Loew who earned the Bronze Star and obviously saw a good deal of action in the Pacific. The patch is a scarce embroidered felt example on this coat.

CB

Attached Images

• Picture_265.jpg

#17 cbuehler

cbuehler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 643
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

A close up of the patch.

Attached Images

• Picture_266.jpg

#18 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

During I think WW2 and pre-WW2, the US Navy had a rate called Fire Controlman or Gun Rangefinder, the rate emblem looks like a tripod with an old WW2 artillery rangefinder piece atop it. I have seen it before where I thought it looked far more like a tripod or something similar, and not so much with the range finder device on top of it. I am attaching a pic, see what you think in terms of it maybe being what your Marine was trying to get at with the "inverted V" emblem.

Just a thought!

MW

USN_Rate.jpg

The strikers. I know the bursting bomb is ordnance and the quartermaster wheel as well as the gun turret with number but I have no clue what the inverted V is. Any ideas? Take note of the embroidery and texture on the strikers.

#19 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

CB, that is one heck of a uniform! Any luck with trying to research the fellow?

MW, that is an interesting thought. Could be a local seamstress' version of the same qualification. I was also wondering if it might be some sort of a cartographer insignia.

Edited by Jeremiah, 01 January 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#20 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 199
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Very interesting thread!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Conrad:

Do you know how your Gyrene won the Bronze Star?

Jeremiah:

Very enjoyable and beauful items.

Thank you both for sharing.

Kurt Barickman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)