Coast Guard CPO Surfman badge?

cbuehler

All,

From what little I can find out, this is described as being a USCG CPO Surfman badge, presumably for the cap. I dont know what era it was used, but again presumably ww2?

CB

post-643-1332178473.jpg

All,

From what little I can find out, this is described as being a USCG CPO Surfman badge, presumably for the cap. I dont know what era it was used, but again presumably ww2?

CB

The reverse.

post-643-1332178987.jpg

Yes, that's a Surfman hat badge. (There may be a more technical name for it.) I'd guess pre-WW2, based on the style of anchor and drop catch on the reverse. A nice example of a scarce badge.

Kurt

Yes, that's a Surfman hat badge. (There may be a more technical name for it.) I'd guess pre-WW2, based on the style of anchor and drop catch on the reverse. A nice example of a scarce badge.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,

I thought it might be fairly scarce as it is the first one I have seen or owned. I cant find out anymore info on it however.

CB

You are correct about the name. It is for a hat. Here's one in my collection for comparison. I think yours is pre ww2 and my example is ww2 era. You can tell by the rope on the devices.

post-2501-1332193006.jpg

Jason

• 4 years later...

It is the CPO cap insignia for the Lifesaving Branch of the Coast Guard. It is authorized in the 1930 CG uniform regulations and discontinued in the summer of 1939. It would have been worn by the Chief Boatswains mate (L) and the Chief Motor Machinists mate (L) at the Lifeboat Stations. That branch was integrated into the CG around the same time the Lighthouse service was merged into the Coast Guard 1939.