• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 genrljeff

genrljeff
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 161,562
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hello, I am new to this site and I have several questions about the M1928 haversack. I recently purchased one from ATF and an original from ebay. The one from ATF has two errors, the strap on the meat can pouch is too short and the short little strap on the tail that the leather strap attaches to is on the wrong side of the tail. Getting to the point, I can't figure out exactly how one is supposed to close the meat can pouch with the mess kit and utensils inside. The original will close if I don't use the leather sleeves for the utensils and the repro won't since the strap is too short. The slots in the original are all the same width so the leather sleeves won't fit. Were the leather sleeves for the utensils discarded, or am I missing some detail?

#27 rambob

rambob
  • Members
    • Member ID: 299
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Genrljeff, I just went down to my pack to do some experiments. My meat can pouch has the leather inserts for the fork and knife installed and all utensils inserted in them. The inserts were handy for keeping the fork tines and knife blade from poking through the meat can pouch back. Take a look at the images attached and you will see the spoon is on the left, fork in the middle and knife on right. The slots are NOT the same width and the fork insert should be in the middle slot and the knife in the right slot. While the strap could be longer, it still closes just fine on my pouch with the meat can contents inserted as shown. Note the meat can is inserted sideways. I hope this helps.

Bob

Attached Images

• meatcan inside with inserts.jpg
  • meatcan inside.jpg

Edited by rambob, 28 February 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#28 genrljeff

genrljeff
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 161,562
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

Genrljeff, I just went down to my pack to do some experiments. My meat can pouch has the leather inserts for the fork and knife installed and all utensils inserted in them. The inserts were handy for keeping the fork tines and knife blade from poking through the meat can pouch back. Take a look at the images attached and you will see the spoon is on the left, fork in the middle and knife on right. The slots are NOT the same width and the fork insert should be in the middle slot and the knife in the right slot. While the strap could be longer, it still closes just fine on my pouch with the meat can contents inserted as shown. Note the meat can is inserted sideways. I hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I appreciate your help. The ATF haversack had a few defects. The strap for the meat can pouch was 3/4" shorter than the original so even doing as you suggested didn't help. I ended up buying a repro haversack tail from ebay and using one of the straps from it to make a new one. The color is a little off but it's cheaper than buying another haversack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users