WW2 Camo Parachute?

History Man

History Man

I picked this up a while ago and I am stumped. I am not sure if this is WW2 or not so I would like to get some opinions. I cannot tell if it is silk or not. If anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated.

Philip

Here are some photos.

post-25965-1332099343.jpg

post-25965-1332099350.jpg

post-25965-1332099356.jpg

General Apathy

Philip, if this is a complete chute then all the panels should have numbers at the lower edge such as 1 to 24, generally panel one should have the makers name and date stamped in a square near that lower edge,

ken

Hi Philip,

Is it a 45ft Canopy or do you know is it a 24ft Canopy Chute ? Or a cut up one,

All WWII Parachute Canopys were made out of Silk and Post WWII Parachutes were made out of Nylon later on.

Just like Ken said there should be a Maf Stamp Marked on it along with it Dated like

Pioneer or National Automotive-fibres Inc... Etc..etc

Here is a picture attached for what you should be looking out for on the Canopy hope this helps. :thumbsup:

post-11464-1332104807.jpg

History Man

It is a large piece of one. About 3 - 4 ft wide and about 20 or so ft long. Didnt see any stamps when I went over it but will try again. Is there a way to tell the difference between the silk and nylon (sorry I dont know how to tell these materials).

Philip

Hi Philip,

All WWII Parachute Canopys were made out of Silk and Post WWII Parachutes were made out of Nylon later on.

Just like Ken said there should be a Maf Stamp Marked on it along with it Dated like

Here is a picture attached for what you should be looking out for on the Canopy hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Also check to see if it's ripstop (little squares)

Just a guess here, but I would think nylon would melt and silk would burn? Try a few threads. :think:

And burning nylon has quite a strong smell: this site http://www.fabriclink.com/university/burntest.cfm has info on doing burns tests and they say it smells like celery and in fact when I was a kid we lived near celery fields and I have always said that burning nylon smelled like the fields after the celery had been cut.

WWII Parachutist
Hi Philip,

Actually, nylon was used during WWII. Nylon was developed around 1938 and was immediately tested for use in parachutes. Already in 1941 before Pearl habor a batch of all nylon canopies was procured. Nylon webbing was also manufactured and tested by the Phoenix Trimming Company in 1941, but it was not put into use until 1945, and wasn't completely phased in until the 50's.

The last batch of silk chutes was made in 1943, after that, all where nylon.

Your chute is almost guranteed postwar, because of the size. In WWII 28' was the largest standardized size of chutes used. Considering the apex vent in tht center of the chute (thus, scraps cut from it can only be 1/2 the actual diameter) that would make it too big for the WWII type.

And that would also mean it's nylon.

I'm guessing it's a piece from either a 45', or 64' postwar chute made in the 50's.

WWII Parachutist
So I was way off on my measurements. I just measured it and it is approx. 45 - 46 ft long.

Philip

Sounds like a 100 foot diameter chute then. Great find!