usm3 chrome

fabnatcyr

Hello

Here is a manufacturing usm3 UTICA marking blade 2 type (without date).

It shines by cons.

It is chrome how and where?

It performs well the grenade on the pommel.

If you have any info.

He repair the top of the handle end wire cloth covered wire.

May be a fantasy of the former owner for the conservation or the look.

By cons chrome without disassembly or assembly before??

yes j have not put the photo but it is in a classic sheath USM8 BMCO.

1ew4r7.jpg

2upbfwx.jpg

30m0fgy.jpg

kdmyo1.jpg

e67xhd.jpg

30wryq8.jpg

IMHO it looks an attempt to recover a well battered and rusted knife. I'd say it's nickel plated more than chromium plated but anyway the job has to be made with parts disassembled.

IMHO it looks an attempt to recover a well battered and rusted knife. I'd say it's nickel plated more than chromium plated but anyway the job has to be made with parts disassembled.

I agree with Artu. The poor thing was in terrible shape when it was nickel-plated. It would be like repainting an old car that has huge dents on it and painting over them without doing body work, just to sell it.

hello

They are found in France and that of others they appear in good condition

Here are a Camillus guard

an guard and Utica

zvpyqf.jpg

11gmu7a.jpg

and the price for the whole n estait not at the cost of a single sheath

Hey Gang! I'm inclined to think it was just buffed to no end. Look at the marks on the blade, above the Utica. I can't really tell. SKIP

Hey Gang! I'm inclined to think it was just buffed to no end. Look at the marks on the blade, above the Utica. I can't really tell. SKIP

hello

it is really chrome aillor of chromium from a little over the top of the pommel

it seems that there have been a fad in the 1970s in France according to my information

it seems that there have been a fad in the 1970s in France according to my information

That's a good way to destroy whatever collector value it had left.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

There's a way to see if it's chromium or nickel: chromium dont peel, nickel do.

you are right !

the second one (Camillus) is mine, and is a little peeling under the guard : that's nickel.

best regards

Before viewing the photo of the pommel, I was initially wondering the same as SKIP: "...just buffed to no end..."?.

It does appear to be plated, however.

A peened-pommel knife, will show "at minimum" loss of 1/8" in over-all hilt assembly length, if it has undergone such procedure. (Though, some 'could possibly be' "hidden" in OAL ...with a lot of extra effort.)

A pinned-pommel could be done w/o loss of length.

Regards,

Don.

• 5 years later...
Hello

I'm back this post

I found another usm3 chrome

And following a thorough research the French army made chrome of usm3 during the war of Algeria for the taking of weapon of the commando COBRA

Fabnatcyr, it looks like chromed M3's are a collectible variation for European collectors, especially if they have their M6 sheaths with them. The knives not real valuable [yet] but collectible never the less.

I would like to see your newest example.

Chuck

Jumping into this old thread, I'm not of the opinion that the knives would have had to been disassembled to receive this plating. I've seen a few examples of knives that got plated after they were fully assembled. Certainly not something that I would recommend. But the knives I've seen were all said to have been done in Vietnam, probably some side street plating operation. Unfortunately I have no idea what if any steps were taken to protect the wood or leather on the different knives. All of them were in "well used" shape by the time I saw them, and two of the three showed signs of the plating starting to peel.

Hello

Of this discovery of this chrome dagger

I tried to check the facts

Verification done at the old level of the commando cobra and verification obtained in photos

Why

And well it was a strong difference of the commando Cobra and George for this demark in Algeria

As far as the belts George had belts US loop

Chromed and Cobra belts TAP Black color with buckle and

Rivets chrome ... It was for the holding of parade

For the daggers they were chrome also, the pommel and the guard are visible outside

And the blade I think it is a story of ease of total realization of the dagger in electrolysis

The metal cover of the sleeve is also chrome-plated