• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

I picked these up at the Hastings show with some other survival kit items. They are obviously WWII, 44 dated. But something tells me they are not US. Can anyone validate what these are and/or what they go to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Allen Dail

Allen Dail
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,506
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hello hawkdriver I goggled signal mk.xii.t and the first listing was this page listd below that I could not get the link working from my phone. although not the same mark it says they are very pistol flares,for one and multi man dinghies http://www.historicf...item.php?id=509 .
Hope it helps allen

#3 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well, that is them. Guess they were put into this gear lot by accident. Thanks.

#4 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

When I read the topic title I was expecting to see a pair of disco pants from the 70s!! (in the UK known as "flares" from flared trousers!) :lol:

#5 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

I picked these up at the Hastings show with some other survival kit items. They are obviously WWII, 44 dated. But something tells me they are not US. Can anyone validate what these are and/or what they go to.

Posted Image

Hi hawkdriver, possibility that they were issued to USAAF crews operating in the UK during WWII to comply with signalling requirements at UK airbases. I think that I may have a similar tin possibly holding six rounds and US manufacture, sorry I don't have it to hand to compare.

ken

#6 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hi hawkdriver, possibility that they were issued to USAAF crews operating in the UK during WWII to comply with signalling requirements at UK airbases. I think that I may have a similar tin possibly holding six rounds and US manufacture, sorry I don't have it to hand to compare.

ken

Ken, any idea what they were fired out of? With the type of gun, it might be easier to track down if your theory is correct.

Ian, there you go again, you Brits polluting and ruining a perfectly good language! ;)

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

It's a R.A.F. Survival Dinghy Signal Flare Cartridge Tin. You can find something on

http://historicflyin...item.php?id=271

#8 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ken, any idea what they were fired out of? With the type of gun, it might be easier to track down if your theory is correct.

Ian, there you go again, you Brits polluting and ruining a perfectly good language! ;)

Very Pistols

#9 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Ahh, now that I know what I am looking for, it seems to be a RAF pistol that used to be used in aircraft and fired out through a port. Called a Mollin No. 1. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 Survival

Survival
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,413
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

100_1332__640x480_.jpg

Here is a picture of the gun and flares out of a raft kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users