Bfryar44

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 12 July 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#52 Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring
  • Members
    • Member ID: 118
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

That's an impressive collection of hygene products. You did forget one important product that according to my dad was used a lot during severe cold weather conditions......gasoline. I asked dad once about personal bathing and hygene during the Bulge and winter conditions. He said sometimes you went weeks without "bathing" and replacing worn uniforms. He added that your collars and cuffs would get shiny black from grime wearing the same clothes weeks on end. What they did to clean them was to rinse their shirts in gasoline. It seemed to cut the built up black body grime quickly and then the shirts would be hung out to dry. Once dry, the soldiers would take a sharp knife and scrape the collar and cuffs to raise the nape of the wool to make them somewhat fuzzy. This made them a bit warmer and since everyone smelled the same, the gasoline smell didn't bother anyone.

just thought you would enjoy the extremes some went to,

Greg

#53 bfryar44

bfryar44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 90
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

Funny you should mention that, a local 42nd ID vet recently told me the same thing about their uniforms being filthy from body oils etc. He said that after the winter of 44/45 his uniform was literally rotting off of him.

#54 rambob

rambob
  • Members
    • Member ID: 299
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

This cute hygiene kit is called a JEEPAK and has all kinds of goodies in it like a styptic pencil, wooden manicure stick and nail file. The rubberized, cloth, outer case has gotten stiff, but contents are still unused. I just never try to close it up, but keep it open and flat.

Attached Images

• Jeepak_hygiene_kit.jpg

#55 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

dead link

dwiv

This thing has been sitting in my collection for a long time. It could be 40s but maybe it is 50s. All I know it that it once belonged to a "D. A. Burns". The boxes still smell of the stuff that was once in them. Anyone who has more info, feel free to post it.

Edited by doinworkinvans, 22 August 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#56 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Amazing post and thanks to all for sharing your collections. Here are some photos of battlefield dug up material to show you the same things found today in old US positions! All were found North of Saint Lo in 29th division, 175th Rgt positions. The area was a rest area a few steps from the front line.

Posted Image

lot of razors found in one foxhole

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#57 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

Just found in the foxhole:

Posted Image

After cleaning:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tooth brush "Made in England" found in it's plastic box:

Posted Image

Sorry the photos are not digitals. I did not have the digit camera when I found this stuff.

#58 DwightPruitt

DwightPruitt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 251
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

In my collection I have a set of unused WWII 'Ear Wardens', when I opened the carton last year to look at the contents I found an extra carton flap with the name of the lady who packed it 60 odd years ago. I think she had included it as a way of finding a pen friend in the forces. The lady's details are ' Clara Martucci, 1914 ???????, Erie, Pa'. Sorry I cannot make out the street name. I did contact some young lady at the 'Erie Times' but I don't think she could grasp the story that it had taken 60 odd years for this lady's little morale booster to come to light. I would have loved to follow it up and return the item to her children if they could be traced, or does anyone in the group know a reporter at the Erie Times that would like to do a little story on this one. Have a look at the attached photo image.

According to anywho.com, there are 7 listings in Erie,PA for people with the last name of Martucci. It's a long shot, but who knows?

#59 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

That is exactly the sewing kit I got from the Army in early 1970. Any idea as to when the vinyl/plastic ones like this were introduced?

#60 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

A kit that looks like that was in the WW2 QM catalog. There are a few differences in contents but not much.

#61 UPNATM

UPNATM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 534
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Some of the various personal items that I have.
I am always on the hunt for more. 

DEAD LINK

DWIV 7-12-15

Edited by doinworkinvans, 12 July 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#62 Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring
  • Members
    • Member ID: 118
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

I'm sure it has been stated before now but for the newer members, you see condoms a lot in these hygiene kits. Granted the American G.I.s had as much testosterone as anyone else, but dad has told me he would grab them by the handful when offered and keep them in his barracks bag to be used to blouse his pants over his jump boots. He always laughs when he remembers his future Mother-in-Law seeing them in the bottom of the bag. Dad said she never said a word about them. This was before dad married my mother.

Greg

#63 joachim

joachim
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,892
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Hello,
I have a question, the Dr. West's toothbrushes came in differente colors but was the box always the same with the green toothbrush printed on or was there for every color a different box.

THX a lot,

Joachim

#64 EmeraldBat

EmeraldBat
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,825
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

In my collection I have a set of unused WWII 'Ear Wardens', when I opened the carton last year to look at the contents I found an extra carton flap with the name of the lady who packed it 60 odd years ago. I think she had included it as a way of finding a pen friend in the forces. The lady's details are ' Clara Martucci, 1914 ???????, Erie, Pa'. Sorry I cannot make out the street name. I did contact some young lady at the 'Erie Times' but I don't think she could grasp the story that it had taken 60 odd years for this lady's little morale booster to come to light. I would have loved to follow it up and return the item to her children if they could be traced, or does anyone in the group know a reporter at the Erie Times that would like to do a little story on this one. Have a look at the attached photo image.

This posting is old but I just stumbled upon it.
I was able to find information about Clara Martucci and her husband Giovanni/John. It doesn't seem appropriate to post the information in a reference section though.

#65 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

This posting is old but I just stumbled upon it.
I was able to find information about Clara Martucci and her husband Giovanni/John. It doesn't seem appropriate to post the information in a reference section though.

Hi Emeraldbat, thanks for joining in on this post and your possible information on Clara Martucci, I have just sent you a private email. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

#66 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,790
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Here's mine. Wow---How many units were in a lot?

Al Hirschler in Dallas.

Attached Images

• Picture_1072.jpg
  • Picture_1073.jpg

#67 UPNATM

UPNATM
  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

Thanks to PvtTamura I was able to purchase the bag off of him to complete my hygiene kit. Here are a couple of pics. :thumbsup:

dead link 

dwiv

Edited by doinworkinvans, 22 August 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#68 UPNATM

UPNATM
  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

Here is another one that I reciently picked up and put together. This one is rubberized and ties around the waste for easy access.

DEAD LINK

DWIV 7-12-15

Edited by doinworkinvans, 12 July 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#69 WWIIman1942

WWIIman1942
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 163,299
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Cool! I LOVE this section! I actually have one of those Militalic mirrors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users