RFI on Campaign Awards for the USMC 7th Defense Battalion in WWII

BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD

Hi Folks,

I just received my Great Uncle’s files from his service in WWII in the Marine Corps, looking thru his files I do not see a final list of awards authorized but have noted the following:

Entered Service 10 July 1942 Trained at New River NC as a Field Telephone Man (641) in 1942

Assigned to Special Weapons Group 660, 7th Defense Battalion

Sailed on USS Henry T Allen on 15 Dec 1942 arrived at Tutuila America Samoa 14 Jan 1943

15 Aug 1943 sailed on USS Robin to Funsfuti Ellice Island transferred to LST 203; and arrived and disembarked at Nanumea, Ellice Islands 4 September 43.

7 Sep 43 , participated in enemy bombing attack

10 Nov 43, Participated in the defense of Nanumea, Ellice Island against enemy bombing attack (Japanese) both of the above were certified by John D Donnell, MAJ USMC Commanding SWG 7th Defense Battalion.

Trained as Automatic Rifleman, (746) Dec 30, 43 and assigned to Base Depot FMF from Dec 30, 43 to Feb 8, 44 then transferred to Causality Detachment Marine Detachment USNH Oakland Calif Feb 22 thru June 3 44. He was treated for “Filariasis” and could not return to duty in endemic areas.

Assigned to Radio Student Bn San Diego. Trained as Radio Operator Low Speed, 776 June 3 thru 30 June and eventually assigned to 3rd Signal Co, Field Signal Battalion Camp Pendleton until discharge.

Promoted to Corporal 30 December 1943

Awarded Good Conduct Medal 13 July 1945

Honorably Discharged July 9 1945

At the time of his discharge he had the following credits/ Points

Service Credits 38

Sea & FS Credits 13

Combat Credits 5

Total Credits 56

I know he is authorized GCM, and assume that he was authorized the American Campaign, Pacific Campaign, and WWII Victory Medals. My question is he authorized a Campaign Star?

In a letter he sent in 1985 he stated that he was Special Weapons Group 660, 7th Defense Battalion, that was attached to the 2nd MARDIV. I see from the records that he was in the SWG but no Special Weapons Group 660th, and that it was part of the 3rd Marine Brigade that was disbanded in November 1943 and also assigned to Fleet Marine Forces (FMF) but no where the 2nd MARDIV. He passed away a couple of year ago, while I was deployed and his son, my cousin, has not replied to my quarries about his father’s service. So can a Devil Dog SME tell me a little more about the 7th Defense Battalion and the Special Weapons Groups from WWII Marine History? My Google searches have provided little beyond the missions of the Defense Battalions and nothing about the Special Weapons Groups. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

BigJohn#3RD

Any Marine or Subject Matter Expert (SME) have any idea on the campaign credits for 7th Defense Battalion during WWII? Also, can you confirm or deny that the 7th Def Bn was attached to the 2nd MARDIV in 1943 or 1944?

Thanks,

John

• 1 year later...

Hello, Sounds like your Great Uncle and my Dad were in the same organization. My dad joined 11 July, 1942 (from Wilkes-Barre, PA) and after Parris Island transferred to !1st TpCo. Sig. Bn.,New River, NC. He joined the Spl. Weapons Group, 7th Defense Battalion, 3rd Marine Brigade, FMF Jan 18, 1942. Sailed via the Henry T. Allen to American Samoa. Then via the USS Robin to Funafuti on Aug 20, 1943. On Sept 4, 1943 sailed via LST 203 to Nanumea. Was under bombardment there ( mostly Bettys) several times the. His service record notes "7Sep43, participated in enemt bombing attack" and "10 Nov 43 participated in the defense of Nanumea Elice Island against enemy bombing attack (Japanese)". He eventually was shipped home, via several hospitals, due to contracting filariasis. Stateside, after radio school at Diego, he ended up the war at China Basin, San Francisco helping develop waterproof communications (mostly driving a jeep filled with radio gear to and out of the breakers along the Great Highway). Luckily, his filariasis kept him from returning to the Pacific as it was policy not to send men who had contracted that very unpleasant malady back into areas where they might be reinfected. There's a book by Peter LaCivita, Hereos Under the Big Dipper, Morris Publishing, which tells part of the tale of the 7th and 10th Defense Battalions. Cheers, Bill

Hello,

The 7th Defense Battalion earned one campaign star for their participation in Gilbert Island Operations from 13 November 1943 until 08 December 1943. The 7th Defense Battalion later became the 7th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion. This unit deployed to Anguar, Palau Islands, in September 1944, where it served in the garrison force for the remainder of the war

Since Nanumea and the rest of the Ellice Islands were never occupied by the Japanese there were no combat operations conducted there. I can find no reference to a campaign star for being in the Ellice Islands during World War II. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz