Where was this photo taken in WWII?

Gregory

Hello,

Below I posted official USN image of 1943. This picture fascinates me. There is a mixed fleet of N2S and N3N training aircraft there but the runway is rare in the world. Only the American airfield designers built such air bases. This runway looks like giant aircraft compass calibration pad at the airfield but it is a joke of course because diameter of the asphalt circle is so great that allows to take-off. I have never seen such an idea of airfield building in other countries. Typical airfield has two or three crisscrossed runways for various wind directions.

I can imagine how ideal this airfield was for the V-5 cadets in their first solo flights when they could take-off without side wind. The airfield showed is a little similar to NAAS Bronson Field but only when it comes to general idea. NAAS Bronson Field had other lines painted on its giant asphalt circle. Do you have any idea what WWII-era USN air base is in the picture posted by me?

Thanks for looking and possible help.

Regards

Greg

post-75-1199037950.jpg

Hello,

Below I posted official USN image of 1943. This picture fascinates me. There is a mixed fleet of N2S and N3N training aircraft there but the runway is rare in the world. Only the American airfield designers built such air bases. This runway looks like giant aircraft compass calibration pad at the airfield but it is a joke of course because diameter of the asphalt circle is so great that allows to take-off. I have never seen such an idea of airfield building in other countries. Typical airfield has two or three crisscrossed runways for various wind directions.

I can imagine how ideal this airfield was for the V-5 cadets in their first solo flights when they could take-off without side wind. The airfield showed is a little similar to NAAS Bronson Field but only when it comes to general idea. NAAS Bronson Field had other lines painted on its giant asphalt circle. Do you have any idea what WWII-era USN air base is in the picture posted by me?

Thanks for looking and possible help.

Regards

Greg

That is one of the many NOLF Landing fields built for the Navy during WW2

Check out this site to see if you can figure out which one it was:

Abandoned and Little Known Airfields

Hello,

Thank you for this link. The author of this website did fantastic job. I am seraching "my" airfield state by state and region by region in the state using this website.

Regards

Greg