WWII CAV TROOP GUIDON

FAAA

HI

I'm looking for 1st reconnaissance troop (1st infantry division) distinctive unit insignia.

From what I know this outfit was created wiht cadre from the 3rd cav regiment.

The men of this unit were they wearing the 3rd cav regiment crest ? or this one ?1strc.jpg

Best regards

The one posted will no doubt be unofficial. In WWII and in fact up till the unit was replaced in 1957 was what was known as a Non Color Bearing Unit, it was only a Troop sized unit, later in the 40s Post War period it was redisignated as 1st Reconnaissance Company in both instances the unit did it have a DI, this will be true for all these Infantry Division Recon Troops/Companies, if one was worn it would be most UN-official. In reguards to the the 1st Infantry Division, it was the only one of Three ? regular Army Divisions that had a DI for it's Headquarters, the DI was autherized in 1930 for the Big Red One, it may possibile that the non color bearing company size 1st Division units to include the Recon troop also could wear this DI, not sure on this however.

post-34986-1342210998.jpg

Hello

Folowing the US ARMY institue of heraldry the non color bearing elements of the Big Red One were authorized to wear the 1st ID DUI only in september 1965.

So before september 65, if the crest I submit is not good, I think they did'nt wear any DUI.

Kind regards

• 3 years later...

Don't know is anyone still follows this topic but the 1st Recon. Co. was formed from the 14th Constabulary Squadron in late September/October of 1948. They wore the DI with the motto: PREMONITE.

• 2 years later...
troopersam

Crest wasworn by members of the 1st recon troop based in Kitzigen Germany 1954-55. Phazed out in 1955 with the turnover of equipment to unit (10th Mountain Div. Ft Riley Kansas???) repacing it during Operation Gyroscope.

troopersam

Crest wasworn by members of the 1st recon troop based in Kitzigen Germany 1954-55. Phazed out in 1955 with the turnover of equipment to unit (10th Mountain Div. Ft Riley Kansas???) repacing it during Operation Gyroscope..M8 armored cars were replaced with M41 Walker Bulldogs Hq retaind the Halftrack .Platoons were issued M75 APC for infantry and one each was armed with 81 MM Mortar. Literly became an armored force on its own with Infantry Armor and Artillery.

• 4 months later...

The M3A1 Scout Car I bought and am restoring had

91 R HQ - 7

on the rear bumper.

This doesn't help with the guidon, but from what I've read the Recon Troops were attached to other units, not part of the TO&E.

The M3A1 Scout Car I bought and am restoring had

91 R HQ - 7

on the rear bumper.

This doesn't help with the guidon, but from what I've read the Recon Troops were attached to other units, not part of the TO&E.

They were in the TOE of the Division, but and usually, they were parceled out by platoon for specific missions in direct support of their division's movements or objectives. The separate Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons on the other had were sometimes Army or sometimes Corps level troops, those guys where allover the place in support of the various divisions under their parent Army or Corps.

• 2 years later...

This thread is REALLY OLD but I thought I would add images of two German made 1st Recon Troop distinctive insignia I have in my possession.  I found these at a flea market here in Ohio about 15 years ago. The DI came with a 1st Infantry Division patch and regular uniform collar brass. I assume these DI date to the 50's then? Both are painted.

Kim

1st Recon Troop.jpg

• 3 months later...

Have  been looking for this crest. Had one  but lost it and would like to replace it.Do you think you would like to sell ot??

• 2 years later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, kfields said:

This thread is REALLY OLD but I thought I would add images of two German made 1st Recon Troop distinctive insignia I have in my possession.  I found these at a flea market here in Ohio about 15 years ago. The DI came with a 1st Infantry Division patch and regular uniform collar brass. I assume these DI date to the 50's then? Both are painted.

Kim

1st Recon Troop.jpg

I wish I could find this patch.

2 hours ago, JrBfloNY said:

I wish I could find this patch.

Yeah I still have these 2 dui's. Only ones I've ever seen on the loose.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a patch on eBay but couldn't afford it lol, also dui set but i was between paychecks. They always pop up when I am broke. Currently just trying to get the 6th Cav in wool,106th Cav repro from nchs & a 113th. Take care brother.....