• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

I've got one that was worn in Europe and it's just great. Still has some white rubs from the inside of the tank. It came with the Polaroid goggles and I paid $200 for it. The seller got it from his vet neighbor, but wanted to "up grade". I'm glad he did. He got a new warehouse stored helmet and I got one worn in action.

#27 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

There are about 5 - 6 makers as far as I know, Rawlings being the most famous.
Others are: Sears Saddlery Co, Chicago Saddlery Co, Wilson Ath. Goods Mfg, AG Spalding & Bros.

There is also an earlier type of tanker helmet; the type with the heavy brim.

Erwin

Edited by Jeeper704, 08 April 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#28 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Israel manufactured tanker helmets that are almost an exact copy of the US ones. The main difference is they have a different method of holding the earphones in, they use elastic strips rather than the leather piece the US ones have. Also they do not have the US manufacturer's name in them, actually all that I have seen have been unmarked. I have seen these being passed off as WWII US helmets many times with all sorts of stories to go with them. They are a collector's item in their own right but not worth as much as a US one.

#29 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

Sometimes even Belgian types are being sold as US, but the differences are too obvious.
Just compare with pictures of US types (a lot of them here or on the WWW) and you'll notice.

Erwin

#30 rayg

rayg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

The larger sizes of the new/surplus ones sell for more then the smaller sizes. I'm assuming that they are more desirable for re-inactors

#31 BC312

BC312
  • Members
    • Member ID: 410
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:23 AM

Was a tanker helmet issued one size bigger than the actual fit/ head size.

#32 craig johnson

craig johnson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 673
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Im sure My details are a little off, but I was at the MVPA convention at Alameda. The story I heard was Hayes Otoupaliks picker? was on vacation in India and a guy came by on a Motorcycle or bicycle and was asked where he got the tanker helmet from. A local bike shop had them. I hate to say how many they found but I know it was more than a 1000.

Anybody add to this story??

Craig

Edited by craig johnson, 10 April 2007 - 08:33 AM.

#33 craig johnson

craig johnson
  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

This 30's helmet sold on EBAY awhile ago. Was being sold from the Netherlands or somewhere close. Price was around $700

Posted Image

Posted Image

Craig

#34 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Im sure My details are a little off, but I was at the MVPA convention at Alameda. The story I heard was Hayes Otoupaliks picker? was on vacation in India and a guy came by on a Motorcycle or bicycle and was asked where he got the tanker helmet from. A local bike shop had them. I hate to say how many they found but I know it was more than a 1000.

Anybody add to this story??

Craig

I heard basically the same story from the Sturm salesman but it was one of their buyers not Hayes Otoupaliks. I don't know which if either is true but I did see the helmets. They had pallet boxes full of them, they were all unused but some what out of shape due to poor storage and as far as I could tell they were real WWII US made helmets. They were selling them for $65.00 each as I remember but don't get too excited this was several years ago and they are gone now.

#35 craig johnson

craig johnson
  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

Your probably right about Hayes not being the buyer,but he ended up with a bunch anyways. I bought mine about three 3-4 years ago most likely from this batch. Brand new miss shapen slightly, but in Ex. shape. I think I paid around $135 for a Rawlings 7 3/8

Craig

#36 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

I got my Sears Sadderly size 7 3/8 tanker helmet late last year for 70.00. It was used but in excellent condition and only required some minimal cleaning to remove storage dust. At the same show I saw a couple of helmets for even less (60.00 a piece), but these all had defects. Mint/unused tanker helmets seem to start for around 150.00 here now, with larger sizes being a bit (but not much) higher in price.

I guess they didn't find a couple of crates with matching HS18 headsets in the next warehouse there in India? All the ones I come across are either incorrect (flyers' helmet) or WAY over my budget. :(

Greetz ;)

David

#37 Luke

Luke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 268
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

http://www.752ndtank...tankhelmet.html

Great site http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#38 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:15 AM

http://www.752ndtank...tankhelmet.html

Great site http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

I know the gentleman that runs that site - EXCELLENT. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#39 Richard

Richard
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,991
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I know the gentleman that runs that site - EXCELLENT. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Unfortunally the site is offline for some time now. Do you know why?

#40 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

Unfortunally the site is offline for some time now. Do you know why?

I just logged in.... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

http://www.752ndtank.com/

#41 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:36 AM

The link about tank helmets doesn't seem to work.
In "Special features", "WWII Tank Helmet M-1938 & Related Equipment".

Erwin

Edited by Jeeper704, 16 March 2008 - 02:37 AM.

#42 Richard

Richard
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:30 AM

Erwin

Yes, this is what I meant.

#43 S.Vestae

S.Vestae
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,727
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

Hello All,

just a SUPERB Thread,

thanks all !!! ;)

Sebastien.

#44 Richard

Richard
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Erwin

It's working again. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/twothumbup.gif

#45 hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,138
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi all,
The unfortunate result of the cheap original tank helmets is that about a year before they were found I paid nearly $500 hard ones for an unissued helmet. At that time good condition tankers were as scarce as hens teeth. I'm not complaining, because I love my Tanker which I've worn from Omaha beach to the Seigfried line and some day when I'm alot older, it will again be worth a pile to me if to nobody else because its mine.
A note about repros, just before "the stash" was found Beechwood Canvas Works (who sells canvas goods to Military Vehicle enthusiasts)tooled up and produced a small run of repro helmets. They were quite good although next to an original were different enough to warn off a knowledgeable collector looking for an original. They were trying to fill the need of Armor re-enactors and drivers who couldn't find originals. Once the bottom fell out of the Market they couldn't make new ones as cheaply as the originals were selling and I don't think they made any more.
Tom Bowers

#46 hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,138
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

I thought you guys might enjoy this rather evocative shot. It is of an M4 Tank crew at Fort Knox in training during WW2. Looks like they have had a hard day on the range.

Thanks to Steve/BlackWolf3945 for pointing out the site where this shot came from.

Charlie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Ordnanceguy/Headgear/M4crewFortKnoxcolor.jpg

Hey Lloyd, if you're still out there, I wonder what Shady would say about these guy's white T-shirts!
T. Bowers

#47 Verdun16

Verdun16
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,235
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hi All,
Been thinking about buying one of these for awhile now and after looking here this appears to be an okay example but on these I'm no expert. What makes me wonder with this is how untouched/unused the liner looks for being more than 60 years old. So I am asking for opinions on this helmet (ebay #180258681087) and what I can expect to pay for one in this shape. Right now this is up to $62 with more than 7 days remaining. Thanks,

Bryan

ef01_12.jpg
effe_12.jpg
f0fe_12.jpg
f1e7_12.jpg
f2f2_12.jpg

#48 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

Bryan,

It probably came from the "hoard" that was discussed earlier. I'm also watching this one.

I think it's fine. Nice helmet. Ask the guy if all the snaps are OK. I noticed the top strap has one undone. Looks OK, just wondering why it's not snapped.

Jim

#49 Verdun16

Verdun16
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,235
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that it could have come from the hoard dicussed in this thread. Will e-mail the seller about the strap and see what he says,

Bryan

#50 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

Bryan,

Let us know what he says. I think this one will easily exceed $200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users