AuLion

hink441

I have had this knife for a couple of years and I have never understood the fitting on the scabbard. The scabbard appears to be a MK1 scabbard under the leather with a USGI belt attachment on one side. The other side has what looks like a rifle sling attachment or possibly a British web gear attachment. I was hoping somebody more knowledgeable than me can provide an answer. I can't really tell what it is. This knife was supposedly used by a 502 trooper in WW2. Thanks for looking.

Chris

SANY0153.jpg

SANY0155.jpg

SANY0157.jpg

SANY0158.jpg

SANY0162.jpg

Could that have been made from the remains of a belt? The sort of belt that was used with the Army Class A uniform? It does not look like the fittings for the British Pattern-1937 or 1908 Web Equipment to me.

Hope that might be of some help?

Thanks

Mark

This is the belt I'm talking about.

DSCN2626.jpg

I concur with tomcat... it appears the soldier just took his old 4 pocket jacket dress belt and made the scabbard lacing it together with a leather shoelace. In about 1942 or 1943... I'd have to look it up but the belt was no longer rqrd/authorized to wear with the jacket so it was excess...

and oh by the way.. nice knife

I think you guys nailed it. That looks exactly like the one Mark provided. I would have never have guessed that it was an old belt. Thanks guys.

Chris

Bonjour.

I have a doubt on the authenticity of the handle :think:

regards solcarlus.

So you think it is a fake ??

Chris

Chris

Chris,

I love the scabbard and its field-expedient origin, but I have to agree with solcarlus. I have some concerns about the authenticity of the knife.

Let me pull some photographs of mine together for comparative purposes.

Tim

Here are some photographs of my Au Lion Model 1918 'trench' knife for comparison -

M1918trenchknifesheathed.jpg

M1918trenchknifeunsheathed.jpg

Notice how the model markings are relatively deeply struck, whereas the markings on your handle are quite shallow and are unevenly struck (or perhaps just well-worn?) -

US1918upclose.jpg

There also appears to be some differences in the Au Lion marking as well. For instance, look at the distance between the "Au" and the "Lion" on my knife and yours. And, there are some more subtle differences in the lion itself -

AuLion.jpg

One of my greater concerns is the poor finishing on the 'cut back' (just above the lion) of your knife compared with my example -

AuLion.jpg

You can see how clean and sharp the 'cut back' is on the other side as well -

patinatedblade.jpg

Perhaps solcarlus will chime in with his thoughts and especially his greater expertise with these knives than I have.

Tim

Chris,

I can't say for sure. The detail that bothers me the most is the back-cuts of the blade. Although the quality of the casting of the handles vary a lot in Au Lions, the back-cuts on the one's I've seen are well-shaped (rounded and smooth). I will post photos of my two, Tim's, and yours for comparison. Here is my first one; little remains of the reposed lion mark, but look at the back-cuts.

post-70-1330876878.jpg

hello

This handle is very good.

it was obtained by molding. and copies the following markings are more or less deep

was soon

34o94e9.jpg

2cwsdfn.jpg

214p0s0.jpg

ncifs6.jpg

2ladmcg.jpg

I will admit there is quite a striking difference in the cut-back of the blade and of the distance between the words Au & Lion. I am at work today and am unable to look at the knife. I will have to take some more pics tommorrow. I had never had any doubts of this knife before, now I don't know. Thanks for the comments and observations.

Chris

This handle is very good.

it was obtained by molding. and copies the following markings are more or less deep

was soon

I noticed that this handle had the top grooves like Chris' & Tim's. Both of mine have the no-groove handles.

Here are a couple of photos of my French M-1916 Le Vengeur knife, the daddy of the M1918 Mk 1. Notice the well-shaped back-cuts.

post-70-1330879513.jpg