Is this a soldier in 1800s era California photograph?

Tonomachi

Does anyone know if this is a soldier in this photograph. My guess it that this photograph dates from circa 1850s to 1900. Could this be a soldier who fought in the Mexican American War? On the hat is what looks like the letters "UPE" inside of a wreath. There is a medal of some kind and a sash that is being worn. The photographer is Kerlin, 27 Locust Street, Santa Cruz, Cal. I can't make out the name written on the back of "???? ? Maria". Santa Cruz County was one of the original counties formed after California statehood in 1850. There was a law enforcement type group formed on May 17, 1853 by the legislator to hunt down bandits called the California State Rangers. Could this person have been one of these California Rangers? Any help would be appreciated.

post-1389-1198782686.jpg

post-1389-1198782704.jpg

post-1389-1198782717.jpg

post-1389-1198782734.jpg

The monogram on the hat badge looks like four letters "UTE?" and, overall, I'd say that the picture dates to the later part of the 1800s, say 1880 to 1899, rather than the 1850s. California had dozens (hundreds?) of local militias and volunteer military units during this period. The California State Military Museum seems well stocked with information about these organizations. You might be able to find some answers there. This fellow might also be a Civil War veteran and his hat and medal are paraphernalia of a veterans organization.

I'm fairly certain that it's "U.P.E.C" on the hat, an old Californian-Portuguese fraternal organization. You can read about it here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...13/ai_n16156833

Looks like the girls names are Sonia & Maria? At least one of them (Maria?) looks Iberian.

I'm sorry it's not military, but I hope it's of help to you, nonetheless.