• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi Folks, this is the first officer's cap emblem that I have picked up. It was at a local coin shop with some other Marine insignia, ribbons, dog tag, etc. However the coin dealer said that it wasn't all from the same vet, but I bought it all anyway.

Thanks to Darrell, who pointed me to the right thread, I read another discussion on this emblem. http://www.usmilitar...d...amp;hl=BB It seems to be the same insignia with the exception of the orientation of the globe.

Anyway, here it is, let me know what you think of it.

BBB_FRONT.jpg

#2 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Reverse

BBB_BACK.jpeg

#3 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hallmark

bbb_hallmark.jpg

#4 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

If I had gone to SOS this year, I wouldn't have stopped at his shop on Friday and seen this. It is also kind of interesting that I am starting my second year of finding great USN/USMC items. There has been very little offered around here, but all of a sudden some items are starting to appear!

#5 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

First one?!?! Talk about starting at the top! WOW! That was a mega-score. Far better than anything you could find at a show. And, I'll guess it was "reasonably" priced too!
Kurt

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

WOW... suggest you buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out!

#7 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

If that coin dealer has more insignia like this I run back there fast and clean `em out. Really great piece!

#8 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

Outstanding bird! :twothumbup: Semper Fi.....Bobgee

#9 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,882 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'd say WWII private purchase, looks remarkable like the collars we discussed sometime back. Wish I could post the link but I'm on a touchpad in transit and haven't figured out cut and paste. Next time I get to the MWR I will, unless someone beats me to it

beautiful bird. I love BB&B

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

WW2 era or shortly after based on the anchor fouling. It's a beautiful piece and one heck of a kick start to your service hat insignia collection.

I'd give it a gentle dry brushing to clean the crud off and then admire the heck out of that beauty.

#11 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

Guys,
Thanks for all of the kind words, I'm very pleased to have stumbled across this emblem! I will try a soft brush and give it a gentle cleaning. As far as a lotto ticket, I think I used up most of my luck with this finding!

#12 Deforest Mike

Deforest Mike
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 22,026
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Just in awe to see to see an emblem of such beauty. Simply the best.
Mike

#13 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

I will post some pics of the matching collar devices to this version tonight.

Mike

#14 EGA-DOG

EGA-DOG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,989
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

:think: The hallmark and anchor are of very poor quality for a BB&B.

#15 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

:think: The hallmark and anchor are of very poor quality for a BB&B.

EGA-DOG,
Nothing wrong with the hallmark. Not quite tracking what you mean about the anchor? It shows some abuse, but this is a legit Bailey Banks and Biddle made piece and I believe that the hat device is pre-existing in the WW2 era BB&B catalogs.

S/F,
Mike

#16 EGA-DOG

EGA-DOG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,989
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

EGA-DOG,
Nothing wrong with the hallmark. Not quite tracking what you mean about the anchor? It shows some abuse, but this is a legit Bailey Banks and Biddle made piece and I believe that the hat device is pre-existing in the WW2 era BB&B catalogs.

S/F,
Mike

I do not wish for my comment to be offensive. But, with all of the high quality repros out there, I'm a little "gun shy" of this one. We hold BB&B to such a high standard in our collecting that this one doesn't sit right with me. I could be wrong. I'm only human.When I say "our", I mean you and I and every EG&A collector.

Edited by EGA-GOD, 05 March 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#17 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I do not wish for my comment to be offensive. But, with all of the high quality repros out there, I'm a little "gun shy" of this one. We hold BB&B to such a high standard in our collecting that this one doesn't sit right with me. I could be wrong. I'm only human.When I say "our", I mean you and I and every EG&A collector.

Ok... please do not buy every one of these that you see in the future. Leave them for me. I will buy these repros.

I think these collars are the match to this version of hat insignia. My files are limited as I am deployed, otherwise I'd take better pics. The continents are very distinct on these BB&B collars and dont match the hat device, but I dont think BB&B made a hat device with these elaborate continents. By the way... BB&B stopped marking some of their Corps device pieces for whatever reason around WW2. Here is an unmarked set I sold last year, and another set I own that is marked.

S/F,
Mike
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

Edited by Brig, 14 May 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#18 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I think you are mistaking tool marks, age, dirt, and wear and tear for a lack of quality.

#19 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Once again, I want to thank all of you for your comments!

#20 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users