• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#26 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

I have a uniform with a '23 QM date on with some of these as well. Only problem is we don't know how long those blouses sat in storage or if they were reissued later. It would be nice if someone ever found the MC approval order or number on these emblems or even better the Meyer paperwork on them.

#27 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

I have a uniform with a '23 QM date on with some of these as well. Only problem is we don't know how long those blouses sat in storage or if they were reissued later. It would be nice if someone ever found the MC approval order or number on these emblems or even better the Meyer paperwork on them.

Was going to ask Tim if he took pic's or knew more about the background of the blouse or perhaps took a peak at the backs of those. Here is another variation of those, in screwback as well.

Attached Images

• post_376_1176232219.jpg
  • post_376_1176232196.jpg

#28 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:54 AM

I did take a peak, they had the Meyers shield. The uniform also had a WWI Victory ribbon, an expert badge, and an M20 bird on the cover...guy wanted 1250, a bit steep, but I was excited to solve a mystery. stand by, I found 3 new enlisted M37 varients, as well

#29 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:00 AM

I just got this pair of EGAs in the mail yesterday. The seller identified them as WW-II but the way they're made doesn't look like the WW-II era EGAs I've seen; admittedly, I haven't seen enough to be an expert.

So....that's what I'm seeking here, some expert opinion on the vintage.

I left the images rather large to afford the best assessment possible so, only one would fit this post. Here's the first picture, the front. I'll follow up with a backside shot and a close-up on one of the backs.

Unk_dress_EGAs1.JPG

#30 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

Here's the backside. I left one spinner on and took the other off so more detail can be seen.

Unk_dress_EGAs2.JPG

#31 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

Here's the last image, a close shot of the backside, showing what looks like a Meyer shield on one of the Eagle's wings.

Unk_dress_EGAs3.JPG

#32 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

Bill, very good find and worthy of use on any blouse of the 20's. Most all agree these had their origins in the 20's and the design & production was seemingly endless as there are some examples that we agree on that were likely made post WW2 (the clutchback examples) Yours shows the hallmarks dating to the twenties, correct period rollers and screw-post with round base that transitions to a square post leading to the threads. Showing three examples from my collection with a variety of hallmarks:
s/f Darrell

Attached Images

• meyers_ega_001.jpg
  • meyers_ega_004.jpg
  • meyers_ega_006.jpg

#33 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

Very nice score Bill! One of my favorite EGA patterns that I just picked another set of up as well. Good going!

#34 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Yes. These came from eBay. I had it in my mind that, even though the seller said they were WW-II, they looked earlier to me. I'd put a rather high bid into the automated bidding server that I use on that hunch. They didn't come particularly cheap; the fact that some others knew something (of course you can't tell who the other bidders are anymore so it's still a gamble) and were willing to bid up sort of reinforced my belief that they were earlier than WW-II.

Thanks for the kind words, comments, and info on the era of these EGAs. I've been "holding my breath" a bit awaiting comment from the EGA experts and my mind is eased now. It also permits me to go ahead with my plan to use them on an unnamed 1920s blouse that has been screaming for a pair of EGAs for some time.

Edited by USMCRECON, 10 August 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#35 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users