Chinese Dagger presented to a US Naval Officer

kanemono

This Chinese dagger was presented to a US Naval officer in the 1930's. I was told one panel of this dagger's grip has a presentation to the Naval officer. Can anyone please tell me what it says? Thanks.

Dick

post-9487-1330368822.jpg

post-9487-1330368829.jpg

This is why I like to surround myself with charming and beautiful Asian ladies, it be from Japan, China or Korea....They always help me out with my translations!

Picture one: Central Army Officer School/Officer class trainee -- wear

(basically saying that the knife is something a candidate officer wears)

Picture two: Principle Jiang Zhong Zhen/Jiang Jie Shi ---Given

(Saying that this knife was given by the principle of the school Jiang Zhong Zhen which is the Mandarin name of Chiang Kai-shek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Kai-shek

Cheers!

Leonardo

Leonardo,

Thank you very, very much. The presentation was supposed to be to a US Naval officer not Jiang Zhong Zhen.

Thanks again,

Dick

Leonardo,

Thank you very, very much. The presentation was supposed to be to a US Naval officer not Jiang Zhong Zhen.

Thanks again,

Dick

Jiang Zhong Zhen/Chiang Kai Shek is the presenter of the knife, It looks like it was a Chinese Officer Candidate Knife that was presented to the Navy Officer. Likely the knife was given to the Navy Officer as a present from the Officer College/Principle although it isn't specifically IDed to the Navy Officer.

Again early 1920's Chinese cultures/custom might be different than Western culture in terms of giving gifts. Perhaps it is more proper to put the name of the gift giver on the gift than the name of the person who is receiving the gift.

That is of course the item was sold to you with the story that the Navy Officer name was in Chinese on the knife. Then the seller wasn't sure what they sold you.

The fact that the knife has a Military origins leads me to believe that the story is plausible.

Hope that helps!

Leonardo

It seems like Jack's son and I looked at something presented in pre-WWII China and had info on who presented it but not who got it.

I don't have the dagger but I will get a picture of the blade. There is a Chinese photo album presented to the officer with the dagger. Unfortunately the dagger does not have an identification to the naval officer. I had a large collection of Chinese daggers at one time and this dagger is the highest quality I have seen. Most of the Chiang Kai-shek presentation daggers have the presentation die stamped into the grip, this presentation is beautifully hand engraved so the dagger itself is a very good piece. I am very sure the pieces were presented together but with no ID on the dagger I think I will pass on buying the group. Here is the full dagger in the scabbard. This is a custom made piece.

Thanks for all the help,

Dick

post-9487-1330385438.jpg