Korean War Bullion Patch "Show Yours"

kiaiokalewa

The 1092nd Engineer Combat Battalion, West Virginia National Guard was Federalized into active duty almost immediately after the NKPA invaded South Korea in 1950. The unit made it there in time to participate in the 1st UN Counter-Offensive and remained in Korea until March 1955. I believe that the 1092nd EUD (Engineer Utility Detachment) was responsible to erect temporary bridges as needed. This is a local Korean hand made insignia of silk floss on wool backing with bullion wire highlights trhoughout. On the reserves is both newsprint (English) covered with rice paper. My thoughts are that the patch was made in Seoul sometime in 1953 -1955. To much activity for the local Koreans to hand make patches at will in the earlier years of 1950-1952.

It would be nice to see other "Korean" made insignia in the same manner (eg. silk floss, thin darken bronzed wire and no quilted lattice to hold the design elements in place like how the Japanese artisans used)

Aloha,

John

post-1384-1198699000.jpg

This isn't mine but it was won on ebay by one of the forum members about a year ago. This one appears to be a Korean made patch to me. Maybe instead of limiting the Korean War Bullion patches to Korean artisan let's open it up to also Japanese bullion made insignia too.

Mahalo,

John

post-1384-1198709797.jpg

This is the only bullion Korean War patch I kept after getting rid of my bullion patch collection. Large jacket patch for the USS Princeton. Aircraft carrier is bullion. Tiger and F9F are hand embroidered silk thread with the F9F having a bullion or metallic thread edging. The 37 is felt.

Gary

post-84-1198714645.jpg

Killer "USS Princeton" patch, Gary. You should write on article on the ship so we can pub it in the TP....

Dave,

You probably know more about the Princeton than I do. If you should find an ASMIC member that wants to do an an article on the carrier, I'd be more than happy to provide close up shots of the patch for the article.

You guys are killing me with some of your "works of art!" Gives a whole new meaning to collecting!

Gary

88thcollector
more -2nd CML MTR BN (L) and Telegraphy Det, 71st Sig Service Bn ®

Hi,

What is "Radio Cable?" I did not even know the GHQ was worn that late. Great patch.

Steve

Hi,

What is "Radio Cable?" I did not even know the GHQ was worn that late. Great patch.

Steve

A 71st Sig Svc Bn vet I talked to told me there were telegraph cables on the floor of Tokyo Bay. He served in the battalion 1950-51.

Well, since this thread has been opened up to KW era bullion possibly made in Japan, I thought I would share this 2nd ID variation. As you see, it is still on the Ike jacket. Too bad it is so tarnished. It had to have been striking when new. Perhaps we should call this the "grumpy" Indianhead variation.

140_4043__2___Small_.JPG

Here's one, 507th AAA AW Bn. As I recall they were one of the first units deployed to Korea when the North Korean Army invaded the south.

Bill

post-359-1198796844.jpg

I posted this before but couldn't find it, so here it is again. 7th Inf. Div with tab, the vet was a local who was in the 32nd Inf. Reg. Enjoy, Mark

post-527-1198809633.jpg

Here is another USN patch from Korea, it is of Air Group-19, they flew off the USS Princeton. This one came with a similar CVA-37 patch to the one posted before, Enjoy, Markpost-527-1198809887.jpg

This one was on ebay about year ago it sold then was re-offered about a week later. I missed out both times but did keep the picture. It was ID as the 8th Army Signal School.

post-1384-1198962307.jpg